2014 Free Agency Players

Remove this Banner Ad

Rohan is out of contract this year IIRC and is good mates with Danger.

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk

Thanks for that champ. It is these kind of players we need to feed on. Nothing extravagant in offering them maybe $50-$100k more, dont forget Adelaide living versus Sydney living it will be a massive pay rise.

Actually reading the post again re: Gibbs, he doesn't say that he has officially signed - rather "its a done deal"

I guess that is a bit less definitive?

I hope so! I think we should be moving heaven and earth to sign Gibbs.

Thanks for your input, always appreciated. I like that we always know where we stand with your posts - always accurate and acknowledging the strength/weakness of any source.

Your under rating Gibbs a fair bit

Well its interesting you say that, I am not saying I dont value Gibbs. However, from my perspective I think Betts gives us more value than Gibbs.

Happy to be proved wrong, by us acquiring both! :p

Id only go for Gibbs for $550 per year or this. I understand that he's happy at Carlton plus that money isn't big enough but IMO that would be the maximum offer respective to the value he'd add to our team.

I rate Douglas higher (on pure output) than Gibbs atm. I acknowledge that Gibbs has a higher ceiling but at this stage Douglas is the better player IMO (or at least on par).

Anyway if we're gonna add to our midfielder it needs to be a player who has skill AND pace. We don't need another plodder.

Your under rating Gibbs a fair bit

A lot of people do unfortunately.

The guy hasnt even got close to his full potential yet, nor been able to perform at a very high level on a consistent basis with what they do to him down at Carlton.

I am not too fussed that Gibbs has signed on nor am I surprised. He would have cost us big biscuits for a player that has not delivered.

Betts has delivered a lot more than Gibbs.
Betts is a player we needed far more than Gibbs.

I reckon we have a huge need for a Gibbs.

He and Frawley each represent our 2 biggest needs.

Now needing something is not the same as getting, but I don't reckon there are many guys who fill a need more than Gibbs

If you think about it from a career perspective, I think the Crows have a far greater upside to it in the next 5-6 years compared to the Blues.

It will be interesting to see if Ross is an influential factor in getting his son home.

I think having a good year and doing better than Carlton will go some way to securing Bryce.

Do not underestimate though the Power not going hard at Bryce as well, they could try and smoke us with a far better and more lucrative deal.

Actually reading the post again re: Gibbs, he doesn't say that he has officially signed - rather "its a done deal"

I guess that is a bit less definitive?

Unless he is Kurt Tippett which means he is going to Fremantle lol.:p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon we have a huge need for a Gibbs.

He and Frawley each represent our 2 biggest needs.

Now needing something is not the same as getting, but I don't reckon there are many guys who fill a need more than Gibbs
Frawley I understand if Rutten retires & Hartigan/Siggins are not AFL-ready... but why exactly do we have a huge need for Gibbs? Would be a handy acquisition - but huge need? I don't think so!

Frawley I understand if Rutten retires & Hartigan/Siggins are not AFL-ready... but why exactly do we have a huge need for Gibbs? Would be a handy acquisition - but huge need? I don't think so!

Gibbs has one of the best kicks in the league. Below is a list of midfielders on our list who can kick:

Mitch Grigg.

That's why he's a huge need.

Gibbs has one of the best kicks in the league. Below is a list of midfielders on our list who can kick:

Mitch Grigg.

That's why he's a huge need.
If you think Grigg is our only midfielder who can kick, better get yourself to specsavers ;)

If you think Grigg is our only midfielder who can kick, better get yourself to specsavers ;)

Well that's very clever but who are the others? Danger, Sloane, Thompson, Crouch... I love them all but they are all suspect by foot. Dougie is reasonable, but Grigg is the only one who has genuinely classy and damaging foot skills.

Well that's very clever but who are the others? Danger, Sloane, Thompson, Crouch... I love them all but they are all suspect by foot. Dougie is reasonable, but Grigg is the only one who has genuinely classy and damaging foot skills.
Douglas - class with his disposal.
Danger - nothing wrong with his kicking when he doesn't rush himself.
Sloane - might not look the part but his kicking is effective.
Crouch - nothing wrong with his kicking.
Smith - beautiful long kick
Kerridge - again nothing wrong with his kicking skills.
Mackay - classy kick, if only he got more of it!
Porplyzia - another classy user of the ball.

To say we have only 1 midfielder who can kick the ball is a plainly incorrect statement. It's so, so wrong, I stand by my previous comment.

Well that's the thing. We have plenty of "ok kicks" - nothing wrong with Sloane's kick, Danger's fine as long as he's not using his biggest weapon, Mackay is a lovely kick but is allergic to touching the football more than 18 times in a game, Crouch's hands are so good that we either don't notice or don't care that he can't kick to a lead...

Gibbs is a 25 possession player with elite disposal. We just don't have that. It would make us immeasurably better.

Every trade/draft period we gnash our teeth over outside run and skill...yet nobody wants to sign the bloke who would be a perfect fit in that exact role.

Its not a question of if Hartigan/Siggins are "ready" its a question of how good are they? Quality not timing

In terms of Gibbs he is a great ball user who works brilliantly on the outside. He is a massive massive upgrade on DMac (even at his best).

We lack a outside player who can slice the opposition with silk & finish

We've lacked a player like him for so long we've forgotten that we even need one

Its not a question of if Hartigan/Siggins are "ready" its a question of how good are they? Quality not timing

In terms of Gibbs he is a great ball user who works brilliantly on the outside. He is a massive massive upgrade on DMac (even at his best).

We lack a outside player who can slice the opposition with silk & finish

We've lacked a player like him for so long we've forgotten that we even need one
I'm all for going after Frawley if Hartigan/Siggins are not ready to take over from Truck. Quality was assumed... heck otherwise I would have mentioned LT!

IMO, if we were to land Gibbs (which is doubtful him leaving the Blues), then it would be at a premium that is likely to cost us one of our gun players - who I would prefer to keep. Of course I would swap Mackay for Gibbs, but he will come at 2-3x the cost.

I'm all for going after Frawley if Hartigan/Siggins are not ready to take over from Truck. Quality was assumed... heck otherwise I would have mentioned LT!

:) fair enough!

IMO, if we were to land Gibbs (which is doubtful him leaving the Blues), then it would be at a premium that is likely to cost us one of our gun players - who I would prefer to keep. Of course I would swap Mackay for Gibbs, but he will come at 2-3x the cost.

Ah look would be surprised if we did have a chance with him, but you gotta make room in your cap for the players that make a difference

Our core isn't good enough we're unlikely to a flag contender as constituted so we gotta find ways to bridge that gap.

If we see ourselves as plankton afraid of predators coming over our horizon to steal our players then we'll never close the gap imo

Remove this Banner Ad

2014 Free Agency Players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back