Toast 2014 ND Pick #34 - Welcome to Freo Connor Blakely

Remove this Banner Ad

Don’t see much difference between Blakely and Brayshaw. Both good players who try their guts out every time they take the field. Both have good disposal by hand but poor by foot. Both have questionable decision making.
One is currently a fan favourite, the other a former fan favourite.
Brayshaw's kicking is far better than Blakely's and he actually tackles.

Don’t see much difference between Blakely and Brayshaw. Both good players who try their guts out every time they take the field. Both have good disposal by hand but poor by foot. Both have questionable decision making.
One got best on ground by the coaches in 3 games this year, one just got back into the side.

Andy is better defensively, cleaner, faster and better by foot.

Current Blakely is nowhere near Andy personally. Peak Blakely was as good offensively, significantly worse defensively

Last edited:
That's a myth left over from Brayshaw's first two years. His disposal efficiency is up from 63% in 2019 to 78% in 2020, and he kicks far more often than he handballs. Blakely's DE has been averaging around the 50% mark since he's been back in the team. Brayshaw is a superior footballer to Blakely, also for the reasons given by Snuffaluphagus, CapitalA and Taylor.

Edit: Also one is a #2 draft pick, the other is #34, so it's not surprising, and it's what would be expected.

You have the weirdest hang-ups when it comes to our young players

You must not be paying attention if you can't tell the difference.
Brayshaw plays within his limitations way better than Blakley.

Do you even watch games? Brayshaw is miles ahead of Blakely in his kicking. Blakely turns the ball over by hand just as much. About the only thing he is good at is getting to the contest in the right spot, in fact if there is lack of pressure around him that's when he butchers the most.

Monument Hills and Elite Pete - take a good look at yourselves for liking the above post.

He’s a inside bull. He shouldn’t be relied on for his kicking. He wanted to get things moving as much as possible while Carlton mids dominated.
He’s better suited for a run with, ragged role. Has hardness, can tackle.
Remember Crowley wasn’t a good kick either, and prone to mistakes.
Tom Mitchell plays similarly. Horrible kick of the footy, accumulator.
Tom Mitchell is a pretty clean short kick and a good finisher around goals, he’s no worse than a Neale

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tom Mitchell is a pretty clean short kick and a good finisher around goals, he’s no worse than a Neale
Except he got AA for breaking the disposal record after Neale didn't when he broke the disposal record because Fremantle. After this year they'll both have Brownlows for essentially being the same player, but Neale will get his because not Fremantle.

I swear Blakely is playing the wrong sport, 100% he thinks he's playing nrl. He literally runs straight into his opponent, absolute cringe.
It's a bit like Nick Suban, but at least he doesn't run full tilt leading with his head.

I was watching a S.Freo game a couple of weeks back, and I swear Suban got done HTB a couple of times as he always did, then rolled his eyes, stared down the umpire and mouthed off that he was being umpired unfairly (or words to that effect). Same same. :tearsofjoy:

#mymatenick
Screen Shot 2020-08-18 at 3.00.00 pm.png

I have him in a real competitive SCD league, so I watched basically him for the last few games. I would say he stays in your team because he is young, fit, it is 2020 and he tried hard on the weekend. He could have scored 120+ on whatever weird metrics CD use for scoring and could also have just as easily been dropped because some of his stuff ups were comical. Actually, an annoying player to have in a deep draft league because he will score 90 and get dropped!

But he flew around like a little madman, he tried hard to crash through tackles and made a few boys prop and wear some big hits and I liked it. He got out of stoppages a few times. I know it is is defensive stuff that might get him dropped - I do my homework - but I thought he made a few mistakes but not through lack of effort - a few of his front pressing approaches were textbook. The coaches at Freo surely have to be happy with how he has responded to being dropped. I still think he will get better over the next 40 games. 30-50 games is where GUN players aim to become good. Most others is around the 80+, another season, mostly uninterrupted will be good for him I think. If he can improve on doing different jobs: play forward, pinch hit of HB, play tight in the middle, etc. you would think he is good enough to be a solid AFL player.

Even if he is only 65% of Brayshaw, you need both blokes to win a flag. I'd take him at Geelong. Not saying he would get a game (ha!) but I'd like to have him in line!

Blakely 60% TOG? Maybe what Taylor said is a factor. Possibly similar reason as for Fyfe not being moved into the midfield at critical stages in the second half.

Except he got AA for breaking the disposal record after Neale didn't when he broke the disposal record because Fremantle. After this year they'll both have Brownlows for essentially being the same player, but Neale will get his because not Fremantle.
Tom Mitchell last brownlow year was a shitload better than anything Neale was at Freo, Neale was one of my more hated players at the time he was with us

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast 2014 ND Pick #34 - Welcome to Freo Connor Blakely

Remove this Banner Ad

Back