B: Kade Kolodjashnij ~ Rory Thompson ~ Trent Mckenzie

HB: ~ Steven May ~ Nick Malceski ~ David Swallow

C: Jaeger O'Meara ~ Dion Prestia ~ Jarrod Harbrow

HF: Peter Wright ~ Tom Lynch ~ Harley Bennell

F: Brandon Matera ~ Charlie Dixon ~ Jack Martin

R: Tom Nicholls ~ Gary Ablett ~ Mitch Hallinan

INT: Sean Lemmens ~ Danny Stanley ~ Touk Miller ~ Andrew Raines

Very artistic :thumbsu:

I have come to the conclusion that this is impossible, there are so many players on the edge and deserving of games that I think we need to have a senior side of 30, for instance Tape, Gorringe, Shaw, Sexton, Russell, 2MP, Miller are all strong posabilities to get a senior shot but who do you drop to get them in. It just can't be done.

The upside is we should have a very good year due to our depth, the bad news is some are going to leave due to lack of opportunities

Tape, Gorringe, Shaw, Sexton, Russell, are all playing for their careers as I don't think they are in the best 25 players at the club.

Tape, Shaw, Gorringe, Russell would all be best 22 at a fair amount of clubs. They could move elsewhere if they wanted and would be desired.

Not sure bout top 22 at other clubs.. More likely depth players. Similar to as they are now. 1 or 2 might have there break out year this year and save themselfs.. If not.. Delisted.. And back to the country leagues i would say.
Same fate as Hutchins , taylor and Allen last year and Horsely and Patrick, Gilbee and Wilkenson the year before.. All didnt get picked up and ended up on the scrap heap!

Russell, Shaw, Tape and even Gorringe are far better and far more valuable than those you have compared to. Sometimes I wonder if people watch games.

You might think this.. Because you have a soft spot for these guys you've watched grow for the past 6 years.. But the AFL is a business.. A big nasty 1 people come and go.
AFL clubs dont have soft spots it means the likelihood of another club will take a chance on a bloke whose been in the system for 6 years and hasnt set the world on fire and only played a handful of AFL games is slim to none.
Im sure if the Suns were chasing players from other clubs reserves who dont even get in the best EACH and EVERY week u wouldnt want them either.

Shaw has certainly solidified a position for himself? He's barely missed a game since we started playing.

Shaw will most likely stay on if he wants.. Or I could see another club chasing him for his run and carry.. Not sure how he'll go breakng into our top 22 though barring injuries.
The rest.. The jury is out.
Gorringe is looking super fit I'll give him that!!

Shaw is a spud. He constantly turns the ball over. He was one of blueys favourites but rocket will sort him out

I think a few people on here are suffering from a long off-season of no footy and are basing their opinions on the last few games of the season (when we had about 22 players to pick a team from!). Players like Shaw, Sexton, Russell, Tape, etc. are not spuds even if they don't play week-in week-out and are crucial our premiership chances. Yes none of them will win a Brownlow, or sign for a million$ a year, but they have all proven that they can come in and play a role well as a depth player. And as Hawthorn proved this year, those role players are the difference between a flag and a straight sets exit.

FWIW I think Shaw and Sexy are fighting it out for the a spot on the wing , with Russell also a contender for that position or as sub, and all 3 of them are certainly best 22 quality. Also has Tape ever even been able to put together a string of games long enough to be delist material?

Russell, Shaw, Tape and even Gorringe are far better and far more valuable than those you have compared to. Sometimes I wonder if people watch games.
Those 4 are a class above the others delisted, but thats the advantage of downsizing your list to retain your better talents, which is part of the reason gws are so scary

I have come to the conclusion that this is impossible, there are so many players on the edge and deserving of games that I think we need to have a senior side of 30, for instance Tape, Gorringe, Shaw, Sexton, Russell, 2MP, Miller are all strong posabilities to get a senior shot but who do you drop to get them in. It just can't be done.

The upside is we should have a very good year due to our depth, the bad news is some are going to leave due to lack of opportunities
Don't worry, we'll lose half the team to injury soon enough

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They are all depth players, exactly right. NEAFL players who can help out during the year where and when required due to injuries etc.
Once the trade period and draft rolls around again next year those 4 players will go further down the pecking order or out the door. That is the reality of football these days. Look at Hawthorn and Geelong bringing in ready made senior players as we have done with Malceski and Hallinan mto a degree.
These kids you mentioned who are now around the 50 game mark need to improve or they will be gone.

You might think this.. Because you have a soft spot for these guys you've watched grow for the past 6 years.. But the AFL is a business.. A big nasty 1 people come and go.
AFL clubs dont have soft spots it means the likelihood of another club will take a chance on a bloke whose been in the system for 6 years and hasnt set the world on fire and only played a handful of AFL games is slim to none.
Im sure if the Suns were chasing players from other clubs reserves who dont even get in the best EACH and EVERY week u wouldnt want them either.
Mitch Hallahan is an exception?

Mitch Hallahan is an exception?

Hallahan was in hawthorns reserves best week in week out.. Won the VFL best and fairest..
And averaged 20+ touches a game in his few AFL games. Definitely a cut above a depth player.
Can't say any1 in our seconds lights the NEAFL on fire..
Last time I heard good things coming out from our NEAFL side was when Martin in 2013 and O'meara in 2012 were dominating it as 17 yr olds!!

Hallahan was in hawthorns reserves best week in week out.. Won the VFL best and fairest..
And averaged 20+ touches a game in his few AFL games. Definitely a cut above a depth player.
Can't say any1 in our seconds lights the NEAFL on fire..
Last time I heard good things coming out from our NEAFL side was when Martin in 2013 and O'meara in 2012 were dominating it as 17 yr olds!!

Hallahans situation is slightly different to ours though. For starters he was being held our of the seniors by the likes of Hodge and Mitchell and Burgoyne. When he did play in the seniors he proved that he was more than just a depth player. He just happened to be at a club with the best/most experienced midfield in the league.

Secondly, our reserve team has been made up predominantly of academy players, as we have had so many injuries. This means that we have had to play our senior players out of position to try and stay competitive, rather than letting them prove they can play a certain position. Hallahan on the other hand, was able to play his normal role due to the team being topped up with VFL players, meaning he had the comfort of not having to shoulder a bulk of the load like our reserves did. Hopefully with the experience we have brought in to help the reserve team we will start to see our fringe players perform more consistently and in more defined roles like Mitch did.
And the last time a player was in the bests week-in week-out in the 2's, he got delisted. :( (Osbourne)

Also, how good will it be to see Hallahan finally get a consistent crack in the seniors.

We might as well recruit Cathy Freeman then.
Shaw continually gets given games despite his skills with the ball not being up to scratch.
From all reports he is a well liked member of the squad so sometimes this influences selection.
Russell is a good, handy, tries hard player. Not a top 25 player.
Rischetelli and Stanley are 2 others that will struggle in the coming years with the talent coming through.

Totally agree about Hall. Hopefully Matera stays fit this year and there will be no need for Hall to play that role

I know Hall has faults but his line breaking goals on the run are something no other (bar G Ablett) player provides, I think they just have to work on his defence

I agree with Iva Bigun in that Hall breaks lines in the forward line and creates an "X" factor on the half-forward. When he is fit I would have him in the best 22 players.

Obviously his injuries will hold him back, but I really think he is a vital player for the GCS.

I would never compare him to Matera who is more (at this stage of his career) a small crumbing forward pocket type player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2015 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back