Preview 2015 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Guys hows Trent McKenzies Pre season been? Had a great 2013 but dropped off a touch last year, I also like Kolo, playing well beyond his years it seems, has he been turning it on this pre season?

Hey guys.

Sorry to intrude but I have been active posting best 22's for all 18 clubs on the main AFL board. Would love to get your thoughts on my Gold Coast BEST 22. Not necessarily the Round 1 team but i believe it to be the best available

FULL BACKS: Clay Cameron ~ Steven May ~ Trent McKenzie
HALF BACKS: Nick Malceski ~ Rory Thompson ~ Kade Kolodjashnij

MIDFIELDERS:
Mitch Hallahan ~ Gary Ablett ~ Jarrod Harbrow
FOLLOWERS: Tom Nicholls ~ David Swallow ~ Dion Prestia

HALF FORWARDS:
Jaeger O'Meara ~ Tom Lynch ~ Harley Bennell
FULL FORWARDS: Jack Martin ~ Charlie Dixon ~ Brandon Matera

INTERCHANGE: Danny Stanley ~ Michael Rischitelli ~ Sean Lemmens
SUB: Touk Miller

• The changes in the back line include finding a spot on HB for Malceski and the addition of Cameron/ a regular third tall defender complements the back line. A lot of the tall defensive pessure has fallen on Thompson and May so to have a third tall option back there will ease the pressure on them to. Whether it's Cameron or Lesie or Schade or Tape time will tell but I think a permanent third tall down back is necessary.
  • I'm a fan of Hallahan's and think he slots into the starting midfield 5 with his hardness and attack at the contest. Two different players but I think his influence will be just as great as Malceski's if not more as he will be in the thick of the action a lot.
  • Nicholls V Zac Smith will be an interesting battle. My choice right now is Nicholls but. Proved his capabilities as a first choice ruck.
  • The forward line maybe lacks a third tall target but if you look at it the other way you've g ot 4 small crumbing players at the feet of Lynch and Dixon who can find the goals and lock the ball inside 50. Sam Day is unlucky not to be there but.
  • Touk Miller's a little beauty I think. There calling him Prestia 2.0 and I can see why. Bull at a gate midfielder and clever around the goals. Ready to make an immediate impact. Jarrod Garlett unlucky.
  • Now that Adam Saad has officially been upgraded Sean Lemmens has got a challenger on his hands for that small running defender role. Lemmens's runs on the board from 2014 give him the initial tick of approval but

I saw somewhere today that Eade reckons we having something like 12 of our top 15 players out at the moment and it immediately got me thinking how interesting it would be to know who Eade reckons are our best 15 are. This quote certainly gave us some clues, god knows week to week selection gives us nothing as everything is injured.

Then I thought who do we think are our most valuable players in order from Gaz down.

Now there is generally a lot of criteria around this kind of argument, I cant be bothered going into it let's just go with our gut...

You always see best 22, the terrible idea to include a sub somewhat waters that philosophy down so lets do a top 18.

Here's mine.
  1. Ablett

2. Lynch

3. Prestia

4. Dixon

5. Swallow

6. O’meara

7. May

8. Malceski

9. Bennell

10. Thompson

11. Rischa

12. Harbrow

13. Martin

14. Mckenzie

15. Kolo

16. Saad

17. Matera

18. Nicholls/Miller

It seriously baffles me (and excites me at the same time) that a player can miss 3 national drafts in a row, come in as a rookie, then get elevated to the senior list a week after their first game (in the freaking pre-season!) and take the code by storm. Adam Saad is ****ing fantastic - what a gem. Cult icon.

Rather than our best 22, we should be looking at which of our players would get a game at Hawthorn, Freo and Sydney if fully fit. Leave your heart at the door and I only have Ablett, Jaeger, Martin, Malceski, Prestia, Bennell, May, Thompson, Lynch, Dixon, Swallow, Matera. The following on their lists whilst they develop - Martin, Saad, Wright, Day, Miller, Leslie, Garlett, KK, Sexton maybe Lemmens and Lonergan. Puts it into perspective really.

Rather than our best 22, we should be looking at which of our players would get a game at Hawthorn, Freo and Sydney if fully fit. Leave your heart at the door and I only have Ablett, Jaeger, Martin, Malceski, Prestia, Bennell, May, Thompson, Lynch, Dixon, Swallow, Matera. The following on their lists whilst they develop - Martin, Saad, Wright, Day, Miller, Leslie, Garlett, KK, Sexton maybe Lemmens and Lonergan. Puts it into perspective really.
I think your being generous having Matera on the list, personally I think if his last name wasn't matera he wouldn't be on our list at all

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Right, so the last time we've all done our best 22 was prior to the domination of Miller/Saad/Nicholls/etc

So based on what we've seen so far, if we had no injuries, who would you choose?

Here's mine:

NOuJuM9.jpg

I'd have either Matt Shaw or Jarrod Garlett as the sub. Everything is pretty self explanatory, with Sam Day focussing on defense rather than the forward line.

No McKenzie Stanley or Bostan and shaw
+ Lonergan had 23 touches at 78% eff
Though he did give them 2 goals.

Not sold on Matera.. I think I'd rather Stanley or Boston
Not sold completely on Sexton either..
ITs a tight call between Lemmens and Harbrow too..
I agree with you regarding Matera. Stanley or Boston would go well, but I thought Matera held his own on Saturday and has more of an upside. Though I'd personally love Boston in the side.

Sexton has been one of our best performers during our injury plague. Wasn't initially sold on the guy, but he's fast, accurate, and is currently nowhere near his ceiling yet.

As for Harbrow, I was conflicted, but Lemmens seems to be suffering from second year blues at the moment. Based off current form, they're about on par, but I've seen more from Harbs than I have Lemmens. But I agree, they're very close. Very close.

Also, I left Shaw out as I think he makes a better sub atm. Could possibly swap him with Sexton, but Sexton has better ball skills.

For McKenzie - he's been completely useless for most of the season. During a time when we needed him to shine, he's been lazy and unprofessional. Only benefit his has at the moment is his long kicking ability. But he's never used his and always resorts to a short chip to someone else. Until he improves, he remains in the NEAFL imo.

Right, so the last time we've all done our best 22 was prior to the domination of Miller/Saad/Nicholls/etc

So based on what we've seen so far, if we had no injuries, who would you choose?

Here's mine:

NOuJuM9.jpg

I'd have either Matt Shaw or Jarrod Garlett as the sub. Everything is pretty self explanatory, with Sam Day focussing on defense rather than the forward line.
I don't mind that team. Rischitelli only gets in as a run with player IMO. He did alright in that role last year when everyone was playing. Garlett the sub I agree. No Lonergan though? That's surprising as you're a big fan of his. :$

No Lonergan though? That's surprising as you're a big fan of his. :$
Ha!

Wait until he gets himself together defensively and his move into the midfield will be fantastic imo. Frustrating to watch at the moment, but will provide something great in the future!

Here's mine:

NOuJuM9.jpg

No room for Matera, McKenzie, Stanley or Shaw in my side.

Would love to see more of Glenn before the end of the year as I think he got game, just needs to prove it

Have liked Lonergan and if he can get the defensive aspects sorted can be useful in the backline and pinch hitting in the mids
Boston is my smokey - loved him, off him a bit when he was suspended by the club for being out of condition and fallen in love with him all over again - once we get a full team back his elite foot skills and goal kicking can be the cream on the cake
Rischa to turn into the run with player against the opposition's best outside mid (e.g. Gaff, McCrae, Stanton)
Sexton's flexibility gets him a game - can tag either in the mids or up forward
Dicko to help out in the ruck

upload_2015-6-8_20-44-47.png

Matera should get a chance. 27 goals last year without standing out and carrying niggling injuries is a good effort. He's an opportunist and I think a downhill skier. 16 goals in 6 weeks when we were up and about early last year before slowing down when we struggled. If we're looking at finals then I think he's a dangerous forward at the feet of Charlie and Lynch. He's been exposed off the field and I didn't mind his defensive work on the weekend. He gets another chance and is in my best 22.

I like Boston instead of Matera. So far, he's shown more in his two games than Matera has all year. Hopefully he keeps it up. If he got that goal on Saturday instead of that behind, I'm sure he'd slot into most people's 22.

If he gets his body and mental side right..
He could be our luke breust..

if bozzo is fit, he should play every week. his kicking efficiency is something we desperately need at the moment.

matera is an odd one. he's got absolutely no upper body strength, runs like a fish & gets tackled like one (hence the nickname). yet, if he can snag a loose ball inside 50 and have a shot at goal, 80% of the time he'll kick it. he's got great natural instinct around the ball, but lacks defensively. does seem like a bit of a downhill skier, only really comes out to play when everyone else is up and about. :/

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2015 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back