Preview 2015 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

No Danny Stanley?

I think Stanley is one of those players who is rated highly by his own fans, but opposition fans don't notice him, as he does not stand out or break a game apart and is therefore left out of best 22s.

I think with Eade coming in.. Some of our old favourites.. Might not be seen as often... Some fringe players swapped for others.. Etc..
And if we do get Pickett who comes out of our forward line..?
It's all getting difficult

I don't think anyone comes out. Assuming we play the triple towers together, there is only room for 1 crumber (Fish) and 2 resting mids (Bennell/Martin/Ablett/Omeara). Next in line would probably be Boston and Hall, and then Pickett. He will have to prove that he deserves a game over these guys in the NEAFL if he wants to break into the first team.

B: Greg Broughton ~ Rory Thompson ~ Trent Mckenzie
HB: Kade Kolodjashnij ~ Steven May ~ Nick Malceski

C: Harley Bennell ~ Dion Prestia ~ Jarrod Harbrow

HF: Gary Ablett ~ Tom Lynch ~ Jack Martin
F: Brandon Matera ~ Sam Day ~ Charlie Dixon

R: Zac Smith ~ Jaeger O'Meara ~ David Swallow

INT: Michael Rischitelli ~ Sean Lemmens ~ Matthew Shaw ~ Mitch Hallahan

I don't think Zac Smith is in our best 22

Everyone says Tape is best 22.. Yet no one puts him in there team..
Seems odd
The only person I can see Tape replacing in our best 22 Broughton, but both players are inconsistent. Different style of players too. I'd prefer Tape at his best personally because he's a hard hitting mother****er, but Broughton at his best is quick, accurate, and has experience.

B: Greg Broughton/Rory Thompson/Trent Mckenzie
HB: Kade Kolodjashnij/Steven May/Nick Malceski

C: Gary Ablett/Dion Prestia/Jarrod Harbrow
HF: Harley Bennell/Tom Lynch/Jack Martin

F: Brandon Matera/Sam Day/Charlie Dixon

R: Tom Nicholls/Jaeger O'Meara/David Swallow

INT: Danny Stanley/Matt Shaw/Mitch Hallahan
SUB: Michael Rischitelli

I've italicised C/HF because with the exception of Tommy Lynch, all of the C/HF players will be swapping positions anyway. All six are capable to snapping goals with ease, and all except Lynch are quick and swift midfielders.

Am I missing anyone?

Note:
I'm still not 100% of my choice between Nicholls and Smith for ruck, and I'm not 100% of our sub either. I believe I've got the best 22 right, but who will play the sub is beyond me at the moment

Special mention to Seb Tape and Sean Lemmens who imo are also best 22 material but I can't slot them in at the moment.

The only person I can see Tape replacing in our best 22 Broughton, but both players are inconsistent. Different style of players too. I'd prefer Tape at his best personally because he's a hard hitting mothergoose, but Broughton at his best is quick, accurate, and has experience.

I though Broughton was really consistent last year, can also play smaller then Tape to. Just my 2 cents though. :p

I though Broughton was really consistent last year, can also play smaller then Tape to. Just my 2 cents though. :p
I'm with you.. Broughton can sometimes bob up for mid 20 touches yet still nullify his opponent.. Tape is a aggressive lock down would average maybe 10 touches a game and cancels out his opposition.

I should probably clarify in saying that when I say inconsistent, I'm not talking about a Sam Day style of inconsistency. Some days Greg is great, and others he's still good, but not incredible - best 22 regardless. Furthermore, Seb is almost 3 inches taller than Greg but with a lighter frame. He goes hard at the ball like a raging bull. Not saying Broughton doesn't, but it seems to be Tape's 'signature move' whereas I see Broughton as a 'light on his feet' kind of guy haha.

They're probably interchangeable, but just some observations anyway!

Is Nichols ahead at this stage?

I think so, but we all have different opinions
Zac really seems to have stalled over the past 12 months notwithsatnding his injury
Nichols can jump over just about anyone where Zac seems to get monstered by the big frames and the jumpers.
I'm happy to stand corrected but I can't think of a match this year where I would have rated Zac in out top 6

The great thing about the pre-season period is that there is always going to be at least 1 player who will completely surprise the masses both internally and externally.

The "kid" will have worked hard in the "off period" and be fitter, stronger and have a burning passion to grab his spot in the big game.

This is why we all love the pre-season and count down the days for the start of the season!

The great thing about the pre-season period is that there is always going to be at least 1 player who will completely surprise the masses both internally and externally.

The "kid" will have worked hard in the "off period" and be fitter, stronger and have a burning passion to grab his spot in the big game.

This is why we all love the pre-season and count down the days for the start of the season!
Last year that kid was Maverick Weller. This year will probably be Jeremy Taylor haha

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've italicised C/HF because with the exception of Tommy Lynch, all of the C/HF players will be swapping positions anyway. All six are capable to snapping goals with ease, and all except Lynch are quick and swift midfielders.

Am I missing anyone?

Note:
I'm still not 100% of my choice between Nicholls and Smith for ruck, and I'm not 100% of our sub either. I believe I've got the best 22 right, but who will play the sub is beyond me at the moment

Special mention to Seb Tape and Sean Lemmens who imo are also best 22 material but I can't slot them in at the moment.
Wasn't Broughton delisted? Even if he's re-drafted in the rookie draft, you'd think it's a pretty good sign that Lemmens has probably got that spot at the moment.

Nicholls>>>>Smith IMO, I think you've got it right.

I'm not a Day fan, but I don't know who you replace him with at this stage.

But that's a very scary looking side in a couple of years.

Wasn't Broughton delisted? Even if he's re-drafted in the rookie draft, you'd think it's a pretty good sign that Lemmens has probably got that spot at the moment.

Nicholls>>>>Smith IMO, I think you've got it right.

I'm not a Day fan, but I don't know who you replace him with at this stage.

But that's a very scary looking side in a couple of years.
Broughton was delisted to be put on the rookie list for some strange reason, but he's still a Suns player. If not Broughton, I agree with Lemmens taking his spot - or Tape.

I'm not a Day fan either, but I'm with you - I have no idea who could replace him.

There are always lots of opinions at this time of year on all things AFL which makes for interesting reading.

I was looking at the present GCS list and pondered who would be considered an "automatic" selection for round one due to their performances over the last few years.

I look forward to replies!

Am I missing anyone?

Note:

Ablett on the wing,,,, your joking.!

Stuff all has been mentioned bout this guy, but keep a close eye on one Andrew Boston ..... in his first season in 2013, broke into the side late in the season and did very well. Unfortunately,broke his ankle at the start of 2014 season, a season ending injury.
This guy is a classy skilled player and may well be one to surprise us.

Stuff all has been mentioned bout this guy, but keep a close eye on one Andrew Boston ..... in his first season in 2013, broke into the side late in the season and did very well. Unfortunately,broke his ankle at the start of 2014 season, a season ending injury.
This guy is a classy skilled player and may well be one to surprise us.

Wouldnt surprise me. He gets a lot of love on here.

oh yes I did and know what ur saying, but no f.....g around here, Ablett midfield , and some time up forward. lock that in.... then look at playing your so called italicised players in the game plan.
Rocket said in an interview that Gaz would roughly be 60% midfield, 40% half-forward. Bennell, Martin, etc already move around as it is, so I'd say it's fairly accurate based on what's been revealed so far. But obviously it's only days into preseason for half the playing group, so a lot can change. Either way, as long as Gary is back, I think we'll all be happy

Rocket said in an interview that Gaz would roughly be 60% midfield, 40% half-forward. Bennell, Martin, etc already move around as it is, so I'd say it's fairly accurate based on what's been revealed so far. But obviously it's only days into preseason for half the playing group, so a lot can change. Either way, as long as Gary is back, I think we'll all be happy

Well Rocket will soon learn that we need Ablett 80% midfield and 20% forward.I think what Rocket is saying, is the want to develop the other mids to step up and take some of the workload off Ablett, which will take pressure off Ablett but still lets him be a dominant player in the mid field. I mean Ablett gets tagged, scragged, belted every game. He must pull up so sore every week its not funny.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2015 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back