List Mgmt. 2015 DRAFT discussion - Clayton Oliver #4, Sam Weideman #10, Mitch King #42, Liam Hulett #46

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who uses the footy better out of Parish and Oliver?

I've read Parish is a good decision maker and Oliver seems to have come onto the scene more through explosive & eye-catching football.

I've read Parish is a good decision maker and Oliver seems to have come onto the scene more through explosive & eye-catching football.
Parish is probably a better user and decision maker. Oliver is bigger, stronger, and can break tackles and burst through stoppages like Parish can't. Oliver for mine

Parish is probably a better user and decision maker. Oliver is bigger, stronger, and can break tackles and burst through stoppages like Parish can't. Oliver for mine
It sounds like Oliver almost has qualities comparable to say a Dangerfield. Parish sounds like he would compliment our existing players more but that isn't the be all end all if the other player has unique qualities which would see him in any team.

They both can get the footy it seems although from the limited vision I watched Parish seemed to be a great extractor in multiple areas over the ground and in multiple situations with Oliver standing out more at the centre bounces. Not categorising here , just saying I don't have much to go on.

Good luck JT.

Also im really confused when people question whether we should get someone like Oliver because hes an inside player
Would Geelong take 2 Selwoods, Hawks 2 Hodges? Swans 2 Kennedys? Us 2 Brayshaws?

Of course

People get carried away with inside and outside. An outside player can run faster than Stephen Hawking and hit a barn door from 20 metres, an inside player can win his own ball, isn't built like Cale Morton and has a bit of composure in traffic. Just about every player we put on the field should be an "inside" player.

I did some maths and calculations and I expect our picks will end up being:

Pick 4
Pick 9
Pick 35
Pick 39

I don't know how many followed the build up to last year's draft closely but we got Alex Neal-Bullen who really should have been a late first rounder/early second rounder, with pick 40, in what I think will go down in history to be one of our best draft steals.

This year I believe we have a good chance of pulling off something similar. Kieran Lovell, Ryan Clarke, Riley Bonner, Darcy Tucker, Will Snelling and Aidyn Johnson are all chances of being available at these selections and would all be good choices. If we still want a key forward, Matthew Allen from SA could be an alright selection with our 4th selection. A bit one-dimensional, but can compete up forward for sure.

It sounds like we're gonna nab Oliver at 3. I'm okay with this, if we are able to still get one of Parish, Francis or Curnow with pick 7. However I get the feeling that if we get Oliver who is a powerful inside midfielder, we're less likely to get Curnow and may opt for Weideman.

I will be disappointed if we draft Weideman at 3 or 7, and livid if we draft McKay. I don't think we're in as desperate need for a second forward as people think.

PS: If you want a real smokie for our last pick or our rookie pick selection -Oleg Markov. Check him out on YouTube. Kicked 5 goals against Vic Metro and is an extremely athletic type. I'd definitely take a punt on him.

Last edited:

From Knightmare's draft page he said this on Oliver's Ball usage.

Ball use/decision making – Oliver in traffic makes quick but good decisions by both hand and foot is a uses it cleanly. By hand and foot he also hits his targets consistently

From Knightmare's draft page he said this on Oliver's Ball usage.

Ball use/decision making – Oliver in traffic makes quick but good decisions by both hand and foot is a uses it cleanly. By hand and foot he also hits his targets consistently

Thats all we ask for!

god imagine our engine room if we add Oliver and Curnow to Petracca, Brayshaw, Viney, Jones, Vandenburg and Trengove (plz get fit again). It'd be like the running of the bulls in Spain.

And that's not even factoring in the chance that Prestia could join us in 2017.

god imagine our engine room if we add Oliver and Curnow to Petracca, Brayshaw, Viney, Jones, Vandenburg and Trengove (plz get fit again). It'd be like the running of the bulls in Spain.

And that's not even factoring in the chance that Prestia could join us in 2017.
Could potentially be the toughest midfield in the league in 2-3 years.

Also, now that the jungle drums have us taking Oliver, I've come to terms with this decision and I won't react well if Jason Taylor suddenly pulls a swifty on us and takes Parish or Francis instead at our first pick. I dont like surprises :(

Pick 4
Pick 9
Pick 35
Pick 39

I don't know how many followed the build up to last year's draft closely but we got Alex Neal-Bullen who really should have been a late first rounder/early second rounder, with pick 40, in what I think will go down in history to be one of our best draft steals.

This year I believe we have a good chance of pulling off something similar. Kieran Lovell, Ryan Clarke, Riley Bonner, Darcy Tucker, Will Snelling and Aidyn Johnson are all chances of being available at these selections and would all be good choices. If we still want a key forward, Matthew Allen from SA could be an alright selection with our 4th selection. A bit one-dimensional, but can compete up forward for sure.

It sounds like we're gonna nab Oliver at 3. I'm okay with this, if we are able to still get one of Parish, Francis or Curnow with pick 7. However I get the feeling that if we get Oliver who is a powerful inside midfielder, we're less likely to get Curnow and may opt for Weideman.

I will be disappointed if we draft Weideman at 3 or 7, and livid if we draft McKay. I don't think we're in as desperate need for a second forward as people think.

PS: If you want a real smokie for our last pick or our rookie pick selection -Oleg Markov. Check him out on YouTube. Kicked 5 goals against Vic Metro and is an extremely athletic type. I'd definitely take a punt on him.
Do me a favor and recalculate taking out both the academy picks and picks lost for points. Think it'll end up being 3-7-30-34 in practice

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 4
Pick 9
Pick 35
Pick 39

It all depends on where the bids are. If Hipwood, Keays, Mills, Kennedy, Hopper and Himmelberg all get top 10 bids, are 2 late picks could get pushed to the late 20s

the on ball team of Viney, Brayshaw and Oliver with Gawn in the ruck and Petracca rotating through is pretty scary

Im settled on Oliver, just has that vibe about him that he will translate his skills to AFL level, whilst Parish probably through our history scares me a little

Weiderman or Francis at 7 looks to be the go

Really like Francis and Oliver as well, Milera looks amazing in terms of agility. In a perfect world we take 2 of them.

Big chance of Demons and Essendon supporters looking back and one side being disappointed given both have 2 early picks. Whoever takes Weideman and he turns out like Gumbleton it will be hard to watch and I query if it is too risky given he has so little exposed form due to injury.

At least with Francis, Oliver and Milera it would be surprising if they didn't improve our team.

Anyone got examples of draft bolters like Oliver in the past?

Most guys that go in the top 10 seem to be rated that highly in the years before their draft. I can't recall a player coming from outside draft contention to top 3...

It all depends on where the bids are. If Hipwood, Keays, Mills, Kennedy, Hopper and Himmelberg all get top 10 bids, are 2 late picks could get pushed to the late 20s

Don't forget the academy teams get earlier picks in exchange for those later picks.

Using Knightmare's Phantom Draft as an example. He's got Mills, Hopper, Kennedy, Hipwood, Keays, Himmelberg, Rice and Dunkley (not matched) all being bid on before it gets back to us, and 12 Academy/FS picks to cash in before we're up again.

So if we go ahead and assume that all eight of those players are matched (Dunkley as well), then the lowest our picks, which are now 45 and 49, can come in to is 41 and 45, tho if Sydeny don't match Dunkley as Knightmare suggests, we'd get to 40 and 44.

Don't forget the academy teams get earlier picks in exchange for those later picks.

Using Knightmare's Phantom Draft as an example. He's got Mills, Hopper, Kennedy, Hipwood, Keays, Himmelberg, Rice and Dunkley (not matched) all being bid on before it gets back to us, and 12 Academy/FS picks to cash in before we're up again.

So if we go ahead and assume that all eight of those players are matched (Dunkley as well), then the lowest our picks, which are now 45 and 49, can come in to is 41 and 45, tho if Sydeny don't match Dunkley as Knightmare suggests, we'd get to 40 and 44.

You are wrong TheCount .. for instance if we bid on Mill's .. Sydney will have to match it with the points, that pick may require a First Round or (first and second or two seconds) etc

That means we more up every spot a pick prior to us is used. With the potential number of matching required we will move at least to mid 30's

Last edited:
You are wrong TheCount .. for instance if we bid on Mill's .. Sydney will have to match it with the points, that pick may require a First Round or (first and second or two seconds) etc

That means we more up every spot a pick prior to use is used. With the potential number of matching required we will move at least to mid 30's

I'm aware we will move up the order for every pick that is cashed in ... but we'll also move down the order for every player that is matched. Once again, there are 8 players likely to be bid on before us, and 12 picks to be used, 12-8= ...

Worsfold has said Essendon are going to go into the draft with a heavy focus on foward line fire power. So you'd think Weidemen wouldn't be there at 7. Would be great to end up with 2 of Parish/Oliver/Curnow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back