List Mgmt. 2015 DRAFT discussion - Clayton Oliver #4, Sam Weideman #10, Mitch King #42, Liam Hulett #46

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curnow will be one of the best players of his draft year. I'm settled on him at pick 3.

I'm curious to see his career unfold. I don't know if he will be a Darling type or more of a Matty Bate/Luke Tapscott. He isn't quite KPF and he isn't a proven mid. And to add to the mystery not many people have seen much of him this year to be 100% sure.

If we pick him I'll be excited but if we pass I won't be disappointed.

He isn't alone. Weid is in the same boat due to injuries and fitness issues. Parish is almost a sure thing but his size might be an issue at AFL level. Oliver has great form and might be BPA but he we have more of a need for an outside mid, X factor of Curnow or a tall forward.

I'm curious to see his career unfold. I don't know if he will be a Darling type or more of a Matty Bate/Luke Tapscott. He isn't quite KPF and he isn't a proven mid. And to add to the mystery not many people have seen much of him this year to be 100% sure.

If we pick him I'll be excited but if we pass I won't be disappointed.

He isn't alone. Weid is in the same boat due to injuries and fitness issues. Parish is almost a sure thing but his size might be an issue at AFL level. Oliver has great form and might be BPA but he we have more of a need for an outside mid, X factor of Curnow or a tall forward.
I see Parish as developing into the next Shane Crawford .....very similar game style

From the latest Herald Sun phantom draft which has us taking Oliver at our first pick:

"...Stoppage star who kicks goals and ices the Dees’ glut of talented midfielders."

A glut of talented midfielders... It's hard to comprehend our midfield being described in such a glowing way. It was only a couple of years ago that our midfield resembled old Mother Hubbard's cupboard; with Matt Jones and Dean Terlich finishing top 5 in our bnf #neverforget

I'm also beginning to wonder whether we have erred by trading into the top 10, to be honest. None of these prospects sound like sure things, aside from Weitering. Parish screams Toumpas, to me. Oliver the kind of guy that is profiting off the immediate success of Wines and Brayshaw as 'less fancied' early picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm also beginning to wonder whether we have erred by trading into the top 10, to be honest. None of these prospects sound like sure things, aside from Weitering. Parish screams Toumpas, to me. Oliver the kind of guy that is profiting off the immediate success of Wines and Brayshaw as 'less fancied' early picks.

What prospects ever sound like sure things?

Guys like Stringer, Macrae and Bontempelli had huge question marks over them, for example.

The Dogs backed themselves in and have reaped the benefits - we should do the same.

What prospects ever sound like sure things?

Guys like Stringer, Macrae and Bontempelli had huge question marks over them, for example.

The Dogs backed themselves in and have reaped the benefits - we should do the same.

Tom scully was the biggest sure thing ever and look at that

Point is our development should be able to turn any of the top 10 into good players now

I'm really not fussed who we take. Ideally it would be a mid & kpf but considering the perception that the top 10 all very even we need to just relax & wait for Taylor to make the calls on the night.

I don't think there are many people on here who actually watch u/18 games so I'm surprised with some comments eg. Oliver being a huge reach etc.

I'm really not fussed who we take. Ideally it would be a mid & kpf but considering the perception that the top 10 all very even we need to just relax & wait for Taylor to make the calls on the night.

I don't think there are many people on here who actually watch u/18 games so I'm surprised with some comments eg. Oliver being a huge reach etc.

Totally agree..

All ive seen is a couple of highlight videos of each prospect and the only sure thing to my untrained eyes is Weitering who looks a gem. The rest seem ok, but no one else stood out at all to me.

So as a MFC member and supporter, my preferred option is a mid and a kpf, and back our development team and newfound culture to turn them into solid AFL players.

Impossible to choose who we will go for, but from limited exposure to these kids, my preference would be we walk away with 1 of Oliver/Parish/Francis as our mid, and one of Weideman/Curnow/McKay. And from all reports, we are virtually assured this can happen.

And yes, Im assuming all the academy kids will be gone...

Oliver at 3 is seeming like the most likely outcome now. Then we hope one of Parish and Curnow is there at 7. But yeah as someone else said before I'll back the club to make the right call.

That said I don't want McKay. He is massively overrated. Anyone but him and I'll be happy.

Two of Oliver, Parish, Curnow, and Francis would be satisfactory I think. Even if Oliver doesn't have a huge ceiling but can come on like a Brayshaw or Vandenberg in his first season I'd be pleased I guess. If we're going to make finals the majority of our next finals team is already on the list. The draft isn't make or break for us anymore, there's no point stressing over it. Just need to let kids be kids and let them come into what is finally a positive development culture and make the most of their talent.

Oliver at 3 is seeming like the most likely outcome now. Then we hope one of Parish and Curnow is there at 7. But yeah as someone else said before I'll back the club to make the right call.

That said I don't want McKay. He is massively overrated. Anyone but him and I'll be happy.
I think you'll be happy then. A few of the hardcore Demonland posters attended a Draft Evening with Jason Taylor and Todd Viney not long ago. They apparently didn't give much away on the night but they did say our choices for picks 3 and 7 will come from a group of six players. Parish, Curnow, Weideman, Millera, Oliver and Francis were the six, no sign of McKay.

The jungle drums are beating and it's looking like we'll take Oliver at 3 and probably Weideman at 7. I wanted Parish, but can handle reaching for Oliver. It's pretty rare for a player of Oliver's ilk to not at least become serviceable, B grade 100+ games at the top level, where as there have been plenty of Parish types that flopped. I'm talking Toumpas, Morton, Aish, Scully, O'Rourke. Heck even the future triple Brownlow Medalist Josh Kelly hasn't set the world on fire and that's just in recent years.

I really, really liked Parish's highlight vid though.

Two of Oliver, Parish, Curnow, and Francis would be satisfactory I think. Even if Oliver doesn't have a huge ceiling but can come on like a Brayshaw or Vandenberg in his first season I'd be pleased I guess. If we're going to make finals the majority of our next finals team is already on the list. The draft isn't make or break for us anymore, there's no point stressing over it. Just need to let kids be kids and let them come into what is finally a positive development culture and make the most of their talent.
I think that Oliver plays similar to players we already have like brayshaw and petracca so I think that parish fills more of a need. We need outside foot skills and run and carry but parish isn't just an outside mid, he can play inside aswell. For me parish is more of a complete mid than Oliver and has more talent and fills our needs better than Oliver

I think that Oliver plays similar to players we already have like brayshaw and petracca so I think that parish fills more of a need. We need outside foot skills and run and carry but parish isn't just an outside mid, he can play inside aswell. For me parish is more of a complete mid than Oliver and has more talent and fills our needs better than Oliver

I think it's fairly easy to find those classy-outside players in the 2nd and 3rd rounds too though, the Hawks have had a fair bit of success drafting ball winners early and then complimentary players outside of the first round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back