List Mgmt. 2015 DRAFT discussion - Clayton Oliver #4, Sam Weideman #10, Mitch King #42, Liam Hulett #46

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oliver at 3, Viney, Brayshaw and Oliver are tackling machines, in close oppositions are going to have a hard time getting the ball out with these 3 in close and thats only if they beat them to the ball. Petracca will also be smashing his way through leaving the opposition in his wake. Tyson, Salem and Stretch can play on the outside and our midfield is set for a long time.

Curnow or Weideman at 7. Likely one will still be there and with no pick next year in the first round we need to nab Hogan a long term partner up in the forward line. I'm leaning towards Weideman at this stage as i'm not sure Curnow has the attitude to drive himself to be the best he can be, sure he has the talent but not sure he has the hunger of someone like Stringer. Weideman will continue our recent list building of contested players, when the ball is coming in his direction he will make a contest, nothing worse than a key forward not making a contest. Hogan and Weideman crashing packs up forward for the next decade. With Dawes and Pedo still around there is no rush for him to come into the team.

Contesting midfield and a contesting forward line

Last edited:
I think we should take Weideman at 3 to make sure we get him, I reckon one of Oliver or Parish will be there at 7 anyway. Essendon take Francis and one of Parish/Oliver, Gold Coast take ah chee/milera and we get the mid essendon didn't take. If gold coast take the mid essendon didn't take we can just take Curnow and build him into a mid

I would be just fine with Oliver and Weideman.

I'd reluctantly be happy with weiderman. It just seems like such an un-Roos like selection though. Does he have any point of difference apart from being "a key forward"?
It just sounds too easy.. Like shopping from an online catalogue and selecting generic key forward 000318 without any picture or description.

Would much rather someone like Curnow at 7 who has x-factor, is aggressive and has the body shape that could really impact games from early on next year. Hogan and Curnow sounds better to me than Hogan and Weiderman

I'd reluctantly be happy with weiderman. It just seems like such an un-Roos like selection though. Does he have any point of difference apart from being "a key forward"?
It just sounds too easy.. Like shopping from an online catalogue and selecting generic key forward 000318 without any picture or description.

Would much rather someone like Curnow at 7 who has x-factor, is aggressive and has the body shape that could really impact games from early on next year. Hogan and Curnow sounds better to me than Hogan and Weiderman

Weideman has plenty of points of difference.

He's still lean, but has a great frame to build on. He has really long arms and takes the ball at its high point.

He's quick off the mark, and a nice kick.

Best for me, is that he can take a pack mark, so he's a great option for the long ball.

He looks like a young Tom Lynch to me.

None of us really know where JT rates Oliver he might have had him right up there all the time he is not going to go out and tell the world he might say he publicly he rates talk Parish/Curnow/Weideman etc as they were all the talk, doesn't mean he is set to announce there name at 3. I also heard they were set to have a chat with Frances before the draft, so I still would not rite him off at 3 yet either.

Yeah, I wouldn't read too much into what Worsfold is saying there. We pick the best player at 3, and if that's Oliver...then we pick him there. Odds are, if we cave in to the mind games, panic and pick Weideman at 3, then Oliver will be gone by our pick. Just need to hold our nerve and hope the player we want most gets to 7.

I am warming to the idea though of an Oliver/Weideman combo. Both do appear to have massive upside. It's really up to whether our medico's think Weideman's body can handle the rigours of AFL given his recent history, because he seems to tick off most of the boxes to becoming a top KPF. Seems to have the sort of aggression, contested marking, and ability to create separation on an opponent that's required.

Happy with Oliver over Parish at 3. Would rather Curnow over Weideman at 7 if available. However will be happy to walk away with Oliver and Weideman at the end of the day. Just gotta get Weidemans body right.

Weideman may well be the steal of the draft. No one will remember his shitty beep test in two to three years time.

Emma Q reckons Dees officials had a meeting with Milera today, maybe with an eye on taking him at 7. I hope the meeting went like this:

JT: "Hi Wayne, we won't be taking you with either of our first picks but good luck on all your future endeavours".

Not that I don't rate the bloke , just think there's better options at 7

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Emma Q reckons Dees officials had a meeting with Milera today, maybe with an eye on taking him at 7. I hope the meeting went like this:

JT: "Hi Wayne, we won't be taking you with either of our first picks but good luck on all your future endeavours".

If we take Oliver @3 and parish, weid, Curnow and Francis are all gone by 7 we need another option(s). Judging by the fact it was a late meeting that's just it. But also we might prefer an outside runner to compliment our pick 3.

Interesting.

If we go Oliver at 3, and the Bombers take Parish and Weideman, then I could see us considering some outside class at 7.

Particularly if GC go for Francis.

I'd probably prefer Milera to Curnow to be honest.

Didn't Emma Quayle have Melbourne picking wines to go with viney? Also someone said something about Oliver reminding them of Brock McLean. I have the same thoughts, for me its the bolter factor, though 2003 draft was extremely weak.

I reckon Oliver will start round 1, has the body and traits to do so. Similar to Brayshaw i reckon he'll spend alot of time on a half forward flank year 1

Watched the Cal Twomey/Nat Edwards video on the AFL website - none of these journos have any idea who we are taking at 3. There is so much groupthink amongst them that no-one wants to be left behind so they are all going Oliver for some reason. Still Parish at 3/4 for me. Weideman or Burton at 7 or whatever it ends up being. Would also be happy with Francis.

Milera is meant to have some serious outside class. Could start up forward and graduate into the midfield. Can kick goals. Wouldn't be too disappointed.

Milera is meant to have some serious outside class. Could start up forward and graduate into the midfield. Can kick goals. Wouldn't be too disappointed.

If you want outside class he has more then Parish IMO.

I'd imagine we've ruled out Curnow - then if Parish, Weid and Francis go 4, 5 and 6 we've done our homework on pick 7 (Milera).

Watched the Cal Twomey/Nat Edwards video on the AFL website - none of these journos have any idea who we are taking at 3. There is so much groupthink amongst them that no-one wants to be left behind so they are all going Oliver for some reason. Still Parish at 3/4 for me. Weideman or Burton at 7 or whatever it ends up being. Would also be happy with Francis.

Of course they don't, they just base it on the rumours they hear and 'inside word' ... Pretty easy to manipulate I would have thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back