2015 Membership Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Meh, who cares about the raw number of members.

I would rather see the revenue generated from the membership and how that stacks up against other clubs. That is afterall what a membership represents, financial support for the club by members of the public.

A week ago or so someone asked what the difference between the two clubs charge for each section. I put together a very quick chart. Note that Port divide the ground by benefits while our club divides it by price, and then the benefits are extra (gold or captains club for Grandfinal guarantee), only Ports $425 platinum members get Grand Final guarantee. This is why the difference of a couple thousand 3 game members is meaningless.

View attachment 104667
Great chart! Shows how much more expensive our tickets are. My seats category 4 are $60 cheaper than the same Port seats! And they were cheaper last year!

I do feel sorry for the members who through no fault of their own have gone from cat 4 to cat 2, a massive jump in fees.

It doesn't make sense to me why especially after the massive membership last year why Port would still have the same amount of GA seats as last year, at the crazy low price of $175 when they could easily charge $335 per seat instead.

Great chart! Shows how much more expensive our tickets are. My seats category 4 are $60 cheaper than the same Port seats! And they were cheaper last year!

I do feel sorry for the members who through no fault of their own have gone from cat 4 to cat 2, a massive jump in fees.

It doesn't make sense to me why especially after the massive membership last year why Port would still have the same amount of GA seats as last year, at the crazy low price of $175 when they could easily charge $335 per seat instead.

I think those tickets are the only tickets that are more expensive than ours, but thats comparing silver to gold/platinum. Add that on to our tickets and again the price is much higher. We would no doubt have some gold members in some seats paying $300+ more than the Port supporter in those seats the week before.

I thought they might of dropped a bay of GA by the hill as well as all of it in the Eastern Stand. It is why they can draw bigger crowds to big matches. We can not oversell GA as much as they can, if both clubs think they can oversell by a certain percentage factoring in a certain amount of no shows for those seats it gives them a lot more people with access to a match. If we sold the same amount of GA tickets we would be turning people away each week. It explains why on tv even when they got great crowds there were sections of the stands with plenty of empty seats.

Last edited:
A week ago or so someone asked what the difference between the two clubs charge for each section. I put together a very quick chart. Note that Port divide the ground by benefits while our club divides it by price, and then the benefits are extra (gold or captains club for Grandfinal guarantee), only Ports $425 platinum members get Grand Final guarantee. This is why the difference of a couple thousand 3 game members is meaningless.

View attachment 104667

The bold bit isnt correct. Since (and including) the 2008 GF the two competing clubs have been guaranteed 13,500 GF tickets each for members, with some extra allocations usually being made on the Monday afte the PF, for both club officials and club members of the 2 competing clubs, which seems to be up to 3,000 between both clubs. Most clubs now sell their grand final guarantee packages and the majority of clubs sell out their membership allocation, so I assume they cap it at 13,500 or a bit less. Port's 13,500 would be allocated as such 1) Club 1870 capped at 300 members, 2)Black Diamond 1,200 (- as a max of 1,500 seats are available and nearly all Club 1870 people sit in this area) 3) about 7,000 Premium members and 4) about 5,000 Essential Platinum members ie the people who sit in the Western Stand. Then there are GF Priority categories if the above 13,500 dont all take up the option.

Nice diagram of the costs per area. With your permission I would like to use it on the Port Board. I have put together a spreadsheet of both clubs' copious combinations of membership categories and prices and was going to present it in a spreadsheet summary, but your diagram is better. If no permission - I wont use it.

The bold bit isnt correct. Since (and including) the 2008 GF the two competing clubs have been guaranteed 13,500 GF tickets each for members, with some extra allocations usually being made on the Monday afte the PF, for both club officials and club members of the 2 competing clubs, which seems to be up to 3,000 between both clubs. Most clubs now sell their grand final guarantee packages and the majority of clubs sell out their membership allocation, so I assume they cap it at 13,500 or a bit less. Port's 13,500 would be allocated as such 1) Club 1870 capped at 300 members, 2)Black Diamond 1,200 (- as a max of 1,500 seats are available and nearly all Club 1870 people sit in this area) 3) about 7,000 Premium members and 4) about 5,000 Essential Platinum members ie the people who sit in the Western Stand. Then there are GF Priority categories if the above 13,500 dont all take up the option.

Nice diagram of the costs per area. With your permission I would like to use it on the Port Board. I have put together a spreadsheet of both clubs' copious combinations of membership categories and prices and was going to present it in a spreadsheet summary, but your diagram is better. If no permission - I wont use it.

Your right sorry, I wasn't really worrying about the premium sections as both clubs would have a similar amount of seats with those benefits at about the same price. I just did it as I did to show that the reason Port price the those Eastern Stand seats a little higher than us is the GF priority, while we just have silver memberships there with the GF Priority an add on for any section.

I think I should of pointed out that Essential Platinum at $385 compares to our Western Stand + Gold at $540? but it wasn't on Ports key so I missed it.

And yeah I don't mind you can do what you want with it.

Last edited:
They are inflating the numbers, after the AFL tallied their numbers last year they only had 49,000. This time last year they had 34,000, But when Kochie was asked last week how many more 11 game members they had compared to this time last year his answer was "a couple thousand". So 16,000 more members but only 2,000 (12.5%) are 11 game? normally about 80% of members are 11game members for the SA clubs, so there is something odd about the breakdown of their new members compared to last year.

The bold bit is not correct. Both the Crows and Port counted the 8,206 AOSMA football members in their totals before the AFL audit in August.

Strictly speaking none of the AOSMA football members should have been counted in either clubs total - just like no MCC members are counted in Vic club totals or SCG Trust members in the Swans total. If you are an AFL member and you tick a club support box then in 2012 and 2013 that particular club got $138 for each adult that ticks the box and the AFL got the rest of the approx $500 membership fee. The same thing happened at Footy Park first with the crows between 1991-1996 for the Footy Park members and the Crows, and then from 1997 onward with the Crows and Port. In 2012 and 2013 each adult who paid approx $450 Footy Park membership and was a Category 1/Ultimate/Premier member ie got access to 22 games - both clubs got $138 and the rest went to the SANFL and that member was counted in both clubs' total. A Category 2 /Essential Crows that cost approx $350, the Crows got $138 per adult and the rest went to the SANFL and that member counted only in the Crows total. A Category 3 /Essential Power that cost approx $350, Port got $138 per adult and the rest went to the SANFL and that member counted only in the Port's total.

In 2014 the $550 AOSMA adult football membership - all the funds went to the SANFL and the clubs kept 100% of the revenue from Essential memberships. Prior to 2014 the SANFL owned the licences and there was an argument that despite the double counting of the category 1 memberships in both clubs total, the clubs got a benefit of the $138. Plus prior to the 2008 GF both clubs benefited from the double counting of category 1 members, as GF ticket allocations was based on apportioning tickets based on the competing clubs' total adult membership numbers.

So strictly speaking those 8,206 AOSMA football members should not have been counted in 2014 in either clubs total.

But the AFL not wanting to see a negative growth in membership numbers came up with a Mickey mouse 35/65 apportionment of those members. Port's membership got to 55,709 members before the audit allocation, but even then some 1,450 members would not have been counted by the AFL if the old style double counting happened in 2014. Port explained it to our members this way

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2014-08-22/statement-record-membership-growth
As of 22 August, the club’s total membership figure stands at 55,709, the official audited figure released by the AFL today brings that figure down to 48,968. The variance between the club’s total membership number and the AFL reportable number for 2014 is primarily due to a change in the way the AFL elects to treat Adelaide Oval Football Members (formerly SANFL Premier category members). Since Port Adelaide entered the national competition in 1997, the AFL had counted all SANFL Premier members – who had access to all 22 home-and-away games at AAMI Stadium – towards the audited membership figures of both Port Adelaide and the Adelaide Crows.

One of the key criteria for ‘membership’ in the AFL’s audit is that revenue is received by a club (a minimum of $50 per member). However, with changes to the stadium revenue model at the Adelaide Oval in 2014, the AFL has instead split the Adelaide Oval 22-game membership figure between the two clubs on a 35/65 basis against Port Adelaide, despite stadium members having access to all 22 minor round games at the Oval.

This change in auditing system resulted in an allocation of 2,928 Adelaide Oval members to Port Adelaide and 5,278 to the Crows. The 35/65 distribution split was based on SANFL ‘club of support’ research which had the split at 30/70. Had the audit process remained the same as previous seasons, the like-for-like comparison number would have been 54,255 – equating to a year-on-year growth figure of 14,417 member or a 36% increase.

So in 2015, as the AOSMA football membership across all 3 categories goes up by $100, and both clubs will get $50 each of the memberships revenue, and we are back to 1997-2013 double counting in both clubs' membership totals of those who via the SANFL get access to all 22 games.

Got an e-mail from the club advising me that my membership pack has been dispatched, I'd receive it in about 3 weeks and I can track the order.

First time I've ever seen the club do that with my membership, though I find it odd they'd do that for a member pack that would most likely fit into a DLX envelope.

Looks like Fagan is really cracking the whip when it comes to member interaction (and hopefully that filters through to the inept frontline staff).

Also the member card will be sent separately - first time I've seen that happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got an e-mail from the club advising me that my membership pack has been dispatched, I'd receive it in about 3 weeks and I can track the order.

First time I've ever seen the club do that with my membership, though I find it odd they'd do that for a member pack that would most likely fit into a DLX envelope.

Looks like Fagan is really cracking the whip when it comes to member interaction (and hopefully that filters through to the inept frontline staff).

Also the member card will be sent separately - first time I've seen that happen.

Got the same email and checked the tracker to find 3-5 days as in D's post above. Someone has been smoking stuff over the weekend I reckon.

Got the email yesterday too, I wonder if its because most of us will be getting the larger gifts (scarf, coffee mug etc) so if you are not home may need to be picked up from Post office.

Got the email yesterday too, I wonder if its because most of us will be getting the larger gifts (scarf, coffee mug etc) so if you are not home may need to be picked up from Post office.

I'm not a gold member so won't be getting any of that. I'd be amazed if my member pack actually sticks out the letter box!

Strange that Adelaide are the only club not to publish their ongoing membership tally. Still secretive. Scared of comparisons or like to keep 19th man in the dark? Have they learned nothing from Tippetgate?

Strange that the Crows have never done that in November, December, January or even February.

March would be the earliest the Crows have ever done that.

I'm not a gold member so won't be getting any of that. I'd be amazed if my member pack actually sticks out the letter box!
Im not a gold member either but I still got to choose two items when i paid for my renewal online so will be interesting if I get it or not.

Remove this Banner Ad

2015 Membership Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back