2015 QAFA (B) Central

Remove this Banner Ad

They had another couple of good players in recent years. A kid with long hair in 2013, he won the league medal from memory. Extremely quick and just burst out of stoppages. I think his name was Will something.

Then another guy who still plays for them and wears #1. Hills or something, he could play a bit - but he's been in the same paddock as Darren Jarman the last few years by the looks of him. Talented bloke, but not in good nick!

Collingwood park have some good players but get let down with being lazy and lack good attitude and discipline sometimes . On another note Does anybody know anything about this full forward fellow from sandgate??? Kicks 14 goals in a game!! I'm not up with all the footy who-ha but he either had an absolute blinder or he needs to be playing up a division. Maybe the Brisbane lions should pick him up as their full forward. Would be interested to see how many minors he kicked too.

Last edited:
Does anybody know anything about this full forward fellow from sandgate??? Kicks 14 goals in a game!! I'm not up with all the footy who-ha but he either had an absolute blinder or he needs to be playing up a division. Maybe the Brisbane lions should pick him up as their full forward.
If you crnt stop widt you won't stop sandgate, same goes for woodsman and baker, althought if baker doesn't get it tommo will and your screwed then plus it depends on who the Hawks midfield is that game. Where as you know your in for a long night if those 3 woodies boys are playing in the guts (1,3,27) throw in 9 and 13 for good measure hey

That sort of thing happens in the big wins in this league, particularly if teams leave one guy as the focal point.

Some of the other better sides get up by large margins at half time and the full forward gets moved so doesn't kick a bag, while Sandgate seem very Widt focused

He is a decent player, but nothing special. Didn't kick bags against the top sides last year at all. Just a lead up forward who is quite an accurate set shot.

Ryan from Redbacks, Baker & Walter (still injured?) from the Woodsmen, Clarke/Dickfos/Ziedler from Zillmere and Fitzgibbon from Kedron are all better forwards than Widt is. Even though Ziedler and Dickfos are about 100 years old in combined age :)

That sort of thing happens in the big wins in this league, particularly if teams leave one guy as the focal point.

Some of the other better sides get up by large margins at half time and the full forward gets moved so doesn't kick a bag, while Sandgate seem very Widt focused

He is a decent player, but nothing special. Didn't kick bags against the top sides last year at all. Just a lead up forward who is quite an accurate set shot.

Ryan from Redbacks, Baker & Walter (still injured?) from the Woodsmen, Clarke/Dickfos/Ziedler from Zillmere and Fitzgibbon from Kedron are all better forwards than Widt is. Even though Ziedler and Dickfos are about 100 years old in combined age :)
Is dickfos still playing?? Thought he would have hung up the boots by now!!

I am making the assumption he will play, but could be totally wrong.

He was dominant in 2013 and had he put himself permanently at FF, he would have kicked 150.

Widt isnt the best forward in the comp but sandgate have their game plan and play to it which usually results in widt kicking a bag.

Ive watched both hawks home games as the field backs onto my place and their midfield ( #7 and another little winger especially took charge) looked much better this week but was against a weak eagles outfit, their strong point this year is definitely the rebound from the backline, very tough to score against. Good luck collingwood park.

I remember #4 from colly park last year try and play the game as if he was the only one out there very selfish player

I would not underestimate playing coly park. They have some gun young players for the last few seasons just lacked scoring power up front. Haven't seem them yet this year. Maybe they have found a good forward.

Zilmere have got some really good players back.

Kedron look like the team to beat.

Uq will be young and fit.

Watched a lot of Sandgate last year and think they are very similar to woodsmen. When they both get their full list on the Feild are hard to beat.

I think top 6 will be. Kedron, zilmere, Sandgate, woodsmen, uq and ?

Ipswich i believe will play all year and wont forfeit 1 game they have been pumped the first 2 rounds but my sauces tell me that for a team that has been smashed the boys as re really positive and look forward to playing every week, the boys i understand are happy just to get a game of footy but on a serious note i believe their coach may get the sack this week as the eagles committee have a different attitude to the players and expected the team to perform better than they are so the eagles coach could be the first casualty for 2015
So I will let you in a little secret. I was one of the UQ crew that played with the Ippy crew on Friday night. Yes we got pumped by a really really good Sandgate outfit (one of the Sandgate boys ventured that they would in fact flog their QAFL reserves side) but we all loved getting out there for a run. Sandgate were good but at each break we regrouped and set ourselves some little targets - and whilst the scoreboard may not have fairly reflected it we actually achieved some of our little goals.
Anyone who critically carries on about a coach having to face the challenge of coaching a crew who don't really train together or don't know each other has firstly never coached and secondly has never administered a footy club where a real focus is to give a game to everyone who wants one.
There is a great deal of respect and camaraderie between committee, coaches and players from both UQ and Ippy. Cut the coach some slack - everyone at UQ has utmost respect for the guy who is just a terrific bloke with the most difficult of challenges. This is real community footy - he coaches, his daughters come to do duties and his partner washes the jerseys etc etc - all in the name of giving guys a run. He is a bloody champion - when you next pump his team take a minute to go up and pat him on the back - he deserves it!!
What needs to be fast tracked for our wonderful QAFA B Friday night comp is a split to an A division and B Division. Playing footy at this level is not all about winning - lets give those who get a kick (please excuse the pun) out of learning and participating do so in a measured and enjoyable environment. Perhaps play the first 6 rounds and then split into A and B division and let everyone play out rest of the season on a fairer playing field.

So I will let you in a little secret. I was one of the UQ crew that played with the Ippy crew on Friday night. Yes we got pumped by a really really good Sandgate outfit (one of the Sandgate boys ventured that they would in fact flog their QAFL reserves side) but we all loved getting out there for a run. Sandgate were good but at each break we regrouped and set ourselves some little targets - and whilst the scoreboard may not have fairly reflected it we actually achieved some of our little goals.
Anyone who critically carries on about a coach having to face the challenge of coaching a crew who don't really train together or don't know each other has firstly never coached and secondly has never administered a footy club where a real focus is to give a game to everyone who wants one.
There is a great deal of respect and camaraderie between committee, coaches and players from both UQ and Ippy. Cut the coach some slack - everyone at UQ has utmost respect for the guy who is just a terrific bloke with the most difficult of challenges. This is real community footy - he coaches, his daughters come to do duties and his partner washes the jerseys etc etc - all in the name of giving guys a run. He is a bloody champion - when you next pump his team take a minute to go up and pat him on the back - he deserves it!!
What needs to be fast tracked for our wonderful QAFA B Friday night comp is a split to an A division and B Division. Playing footy at this level is not all about winning - lets give those who get a kick (please excuse the pun) out of learning and participating do so in a measured and enjoyable environment. Perhaps play the first 6 rounds and then split into A and B division and let everyone play out rest of the season on a fairer playing field.
At the end of the year split the Comp into 2 and going forward the best to teams go up and the worst two go down. Problem solved

At the end of the year split the Comp into 2 and going forward the best to teams go up and the worst two go down. Problem solved
Not a bad idea. Would allow, and maybe even encourage other clubs to also enter a team into the comp. It may also keep some older players in the game longer, as there is currently a massive gap between any level of senior footy and masters football. Clubs may also see it as an opportunity into senior footy for younger players. And with the promotion/relegation in place, would keep every team on their toes and wanting to improve.

Young man by the name of Westbrook-Mcintyre kicked 6 for Kedron on the weekend, very positive signs in the absence of Fitzgibbon. Both are athletic, strong leading forwards and combined with their big fella at CHF and their goalkicking mids such as Powell running through the middle, I really don't know how any defence in this comp is going to prevent them from kicking an insurmountable score.

Very well said, great points.
The idea of a split comp is a good one in this environment. This comp continues to grow and we're at the stage now where this idea has legs.

The logistics of how and when to split the comp will conjure much debate. In saying that I doubt there'd be total uproar if the following were implemented

TierA
1. Woodsmen
2. Jimboomba
3. Sandgate
4. Yeronga
5. Zillmere
6. Kedron
7. Collingwood Park
8. UQ

TierB
1. Kenmore
2. Cats
3. Ippy Eagles
4. Coorparoo
5. Mayne
6. Ferny Grove

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very well said, great points.
The idea of a split comp is a good one in this environment. This comp continues to grow and we're at the stage now where this idea has legs.

The logistics of how and when to split the comp will conjure much debate. In saying that I doubt there'd be total uproar if the following were implemented

TierA
1. Woodsmen
2. Jimboomba
3. Sandgate
4. Yeronga
5. Zillmere
6. Kedron
7. Collingwood Park
8. UQ

TierB
1. Kenmore
2. Cats
3. Ippy Eagles
4. Coorparoo
5. Mayne
6. Ferny Grove

Would probably swap colly park and coorparoo. Not only would that be a better fit locationally but I think coorparoo will be a strong competitor this season.

Young man by the name of Westbrook-Mcintyre kicked 6 for Kedron on the weekend, very positive signs in the absence of Fitzgibbon. Both are athletic, strong leading forwards and combined with their big fella at CHF and their goalkicking mids such as Powell running through the middle, I really don't know how any defence in this comp is going to prevent them from kicking an insurmountable score.

Who'd a thunk, a team that finished 3rd in Div 2 last year would be hard to beat in Div 4 .... :rolleyes:

Not a bad idea. Would allow, and maybe even encourage other clubs to also enter a team into the comp. It may also keep some older players in the game longer, as there is currently a massive gap between any level of senior footy and masters football. Clubs may also see it as an opportunity into senior footy for younger players. And with the promotion/relegation in place, would keep every team on their toes and wanting to improve.

Can't agree there Peanut. Have personally played both Masters for a number of years before stepping into this div and both have challenges. Provided a team is bolstered with some young legs, masters aged players are very useful in this comp as you can't put old heads on young shoulders. Still some very talented blokes getting about playing masters. There are plenty of blokes in this division eligible for Masters.

There is often some excellent footy played at the annual masters national carnivals where players represent their state, usually held in a different place each year, 2015 is in Tassie in the week following AFL grand final.

Youth level footy in the U16's this year sees a combined div 1/2 only split at seasons end for the final series, although this system could see mid tier teams tanking late in the year in an attempt to play lower division finals.

Can't agree there Peanut. Have personally played both Masters for a number of years before stepping into this div and both have challenges. Provided a team is bolstered with some young legs, masters aged players are very useful in this comp as you can't put old heads on young shoulders. Still some very talented blokes getting about playing masters. There are plenty of blokes in this division eligible for Masters.

There is often some excellent footy played at the annual masters national carnivals where players represent their state, usually held in a different place each year, 2015 is in Tassie in the week following AFL grand final.

I was purely going off what masters games I have watched myself, and they were very ordinary. I have only ever seen a couple, but they just seemed to be a bunch of guys who grew up playing rugby league running around playing a very foreign game. Add to that, 1 umpire, no goal umpires or boundary umpires, and it looked very ordinary. Compare that with a guy who is 31 or 32 and retiring from state league footy, which is why I said there was a massive gap. I totally agree that there are some very good players still playing in this league that would be eligible for masters, but probably still play in this division because it is still competitive footy, and predominantly played on Friday nights.

Poor colly park. Always coping it!!! Hahaha

I don't think anyone is having a go at C-Park, more so the clowns that said they could possibly be in the GF after 2 rounds (which they could, just not this year) and that they are the only stand alone senior club in the league.

Who'd a thunk, a team that finished 3rd in Div 2 last year would be hard to beat in Div 4 .... :rolleyes:

Was merely trying to contribute to the conversation, don't think your sarcasm is warranted. FWIW I was at the game on saturday and Zillmere even without their big guns were very competitive and very well could have won

Was merely trying to contribute to the conversation, don't think your sarcasm is warranted. FWIW I was at the game on saturday and Zillmere even without their big guns were very competitive and very well could have won

Looking forward to seeing the result of the Zillmere Vs Woodsmen game this week to see how the Woodsmen match up against in preparation to the Woodsmen V Kedron the following week. There are some cracking games coming up over the coming weeks.

I was purely going off what masters games I have watched myself, and they were very ordinary. I have only ever seen a couple, but they just seemed to be a bunch of guys who grew up playing rugby league running around playing a very foreign game. Add to that, 1 umpire, no goal umpires or boundary umpires, and it looked very ordinary. Compare that with a guy who is 31 or 32 and retiring from state league footy, which is why I said there was a massive gap. I totally agree that there are some very good players still playing in this league that would be eligible for masters, but probably still play in this division because it is still competitive footy, and predominantly played on Friday nights.

Yep definitely a fair few muppets running around, most guys that have played a lot of footy have broken down before Masters age and don't want to play anymore for fear of further injuries, particularly against predominantly bigger bodies. But there are a few gems in each side, similar to some of the lesser teams in this comp in some ways.

Masters teams from Palmy, Burleigh or the Sunny Coast are very strong and full of ex Crow eaters, Taswegians and Victorians that move up from the cold to either the gold or sunshine coasts.

Friday night is definitely a big draw card for many players.

Looking forward to seeing the result of the Zillmere Vs Woodsmen game this week to see how the Woodsmen match up against in preparation to the Woodsmen V Kedron the following week. There are some cracking games coming up over the coming weeks.
The young man in question played his first game ever at ff. Did a great job and will be hard to contain if he can keep it consistent. All teams can loose that's footy. The top four sides in this comp will be hard to split. It all depends on who's playing that week. I know kedron have a lot of new players to the game mixed in with some experience. To get ahead of the next weeks game is not what's going on down there. The lads don't rely on a couple of players to get them through. Anyone who knows anything about footy knows that. Its the midfield in this comp that needs to be solid. That's what makes forwards look good.

Remove this Banner Ad

2015 QAFA (B) Central

Remove this Banner Ad

Back