2015 QAFA (B) Central

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep something very familiar about those stories. Seen consistently in the QAFA A as well. A disturbing amount of 50's paid in a game and free kicks paid which would be considered soft at an under 15 level. Do these guys realise they are umpiring senior footy and not kids ?? Do they watch games of AFL as a guide to what constitutes a free kick and what doesn't ?? Moro_ do u have any input ??

Redkeggers31 go and check the team lists, would appear that no senior players dropped down.

Ok, maybe not senior players, Maybe 2 or 3 reserves players then?

Either way, Woodsmen butchered the footy and their decision making was terrible. Full credit to Coorparoo, they turned up to play and deserved to win.

Ok, maybe not senior players, Maybe 2 or 3 reserves players then?

Either way, Woodsmen butchered the footy and their decision making was terrible. Full credit to Coorparoo, they turned up to play and deserved to win.
Coorporoo did not stack the team with any regular Seniors or Reserves players. Not in the club culture. Decision was made from top down that this was not in the best interests of anyone involved. Only one player had played Reserves the previous week, and only played Friday due to wanting some match fitness as had missed a lot of football this year.
Reality is that it was a good hard game of football played by 2 desperate teams, and at the end of the game could have gone either way. Woodsmen are a top bunch of blokes and their hospitality after the game was a credit to them and their club.

We played coorporoo last week, and apart from their last quarter, the game felt similar to when we played woodsmen. I'm not overly surprised by the result, since woodsmen have lost arguably their top 2 players.

5 games left in the home and away season and although it looks like Ferny Grove will miss the finals, I'm proud of how far our little club has gone this season. 45 players on the books, I'd say 25 are first year players. Hopefully we can cause a few upsets leading into the finals, and build into next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep something very familiar about those stories. Seen consistently in the QAFA A as well. A disturbing amount of 50's paid in a game and free kicks paid which would be considered soft at an under 15 level. Do these guys realise they are umpiring senior footy and not kids ?? Do they watch games of AFL as a guide to what constitutes a free kick and what doesn't ?? Moro_ do u have any input ??

Hi Nut I understand people get frustrated with the umpiring from time to time but as I've said before we are out there doing our best and we will make decisions which may be regarded as soft or that are in fact wrong. I would make no apologies if we get a soft one every now and again especially in the "Amateur" comps as we know you blokes need to earn a quid and don't need to be missing work or games due to injuries. In saying that we do our best to find that fine line which makes everyone happy. It's not as easy as it sounds

Yes I (and most other umps I would say) watch the AFL but I get frustrated at some of their decisions just like you boys get frustrated with some of our decisions. I would also say that as umpires we are trying to pay all the obvious free kicks and the dreaded 50s and I believe it comes down to discipline from both players and umpires. I umpired the Kings V Ferny Grove last week and there didn't seem to be too many problems. In relation to "The Fal's" comment about being penalised for laughing at an umpire and Thommo's comment about the 50 for helping a player to his feet I can't comment as I was not there but the umpire was doing what he thought was right and If these decisions were wrong then we made a mistake. As I've said we will make wrong and soft calls but I still haven't seen a game where the players were perfect so I say let's move on.

As for Thommo's comment about the bouncing ...... It surprises me this was the case as there has been a direction from AFLQ that there is to be NO bouncing below NEAFL level from the week end just gone.

Last but not least as per The Fal we as umpires are trying to be consistent both with the umpires we have the game with and week to week. Sounds simple but believe it or not it is not that simple. Overall as I've mentioned on here before we are (well most of us umps anyway) are human we make mistakes which frustrate players and officials but we are doing the best we can ..... some of you may say your best is not good enough but it is what it is let's try and make the best of it move on and look forward to what will be an exciting finals series coming up. All the best to all teams for the rest of the season and I hope I don't ruin any of your games for the remainder of the season:)

Hi Nut I understand people get frustrated with the umpiring from time to time but as I've said before we are out there doing our best and we will make decisions which may be regarded as soft or that are in fact wrong. I would make no apologies if we get a soft one every now and again especially in the "Amateur" comps as we know you blokes need to earn a quid and don't need to be missing work or games due to injuries. In saying that we do our best to find that fine line which makes everyone happy. It's not as easy as it sounds

Yes I (and most other umps I would say) watch the AFL but I get frustrated at some of their decisions just like you boys get frustrated with some of our decisions. I would also say that as umpires we are trying to pay all the obvious free kicks and the dreaded 50s and I believe it comes down to discipline from both players and umpires. I umpired the Kings V Ferny Grove last week and there didn't seem to be too many problems. In relation to "The Fal's" comment about being penalised for laughing at an umpire and Thommo's comment about the 50 for helping a player to his feet I can't comment as I was not there but the umpire was doing what he thought was right and If these decisions were wrong then we made a mistake. As I've said we will make wrong and soft calls but I still haven't seen a game where the players were perfect so I say let's move on.

As for Thommo's comment about the bouncing ...... It surprises me this was the case as there has been a direction from AFLQ that there is to be NO bouncing below NEAFL level from the week end just gone.

Last but not least as per The Fal we as umpires are trying to be consistent both with the umpires we have the game with and week to week. Sounds simple but believe it or not it is not that simple. Overall as I've mentioned on here before we are (well most of us umps anyway) are human we make mistakes which frustrate players and officials but we are doing the best we can ..... some of you may say your best is not good enough but it is what it is let's try and make the best of it move on and look forward to what will be an exciting finals series coming up. All the best to all teams for the rest of the season and I hope I don't ruin any of your games for the remainder of the season:)
Fantastic answer ! When I was coaching juniors and talking to my own son I always said. when a player makes less mistakes than an umpire then he can question the umpire and make claims the umpire affected the game . Each dropped mark, bad kick, bad choice of disposal or positioning etc. Everyone is human, we all make mistakes. Get on with it. I don't think I have ever seen an umpire change a decision on the day so no use any players responding or questioning.

Just on that Moro, I've only been extremely disappointed with the umpiring this season in 2 matches. Although I'll never blame a loss on the umpys, in those two matches they certainly didn't help.

I might add that my opinions don't reflect the clubs, or the rest of the team because this issue isn't spoken about within the playing group.

Also Moro, how good was my falcon against the Kings? Lead to a goal.

I see from Springfield's Facebook page they planning a Team for next year. Hopefully they get full numbers and get financial and sort out the admin side too.

Just on that Moro, I've only been extremely disappointed with the umpiring this season in 2 matches. Although I'll never blame a loss on the umpys, in those two matches they certainly didn't help.

I might add that my opinions don't reflect the clubs, or the rest of the team because this issue isn't spoken about within the playing group.

Also Moro, how good was my falcon against the Kings? Lead to a goal.

Yes Fal that was a pretty decent "falcon for the falcon". I have seen a few decent falcons this year but not too sure I've seen one become a "Goal Assist" stat.

I hope one of the 2 games you talk about wasn't the Kings game:)

Moro, as someone who umpires from time to time i completely understand the difficulty.

It's the silly things that frustrate us. Looking for reasons to be involved etc.

Your point about the directive fir no bouncing below NEAFL level is a great example of the basic level of frustration. You have 2 teams asking a guy to just throw it up please, but he insists on bouncing. It wastes valuable time, particularly in games with no time on, and often they don't call them back when they should, which can lead to an unexpected advantage at a centre clearance.

Then to find that they have been told not to bounce by their own employer as well. .....it just sums up the attitude that was on display in general.

Having said that, generally this year we've had a great run and they've improved on last season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kedron
Coorparoo
Collingwood Park
Zillmere
Woodsmen
Sandgate
Jimboomba

Very good finals series shaping up, it could be survival of the fittest with injuries hitting some of the top teams! Is Kedron still favourites?

I believe kedron are still favourites. I don't think we played their best side last week, an even though we won the last quarter (you take the little victories) you just felt kedron maybe backed off a bit - and I don't blame them. Hard to maintain the rage when your 50 in front and winning possession against a team still blooding a lot of new players and missing a heap. Deadset, they were everywhere. Running in numbers and just moving the ball up the field with ease. Fit side, at least 2 players crumbling what seemed every contested possession.

Kedron to win the comp, against Woodsmen in the final. Zillmere and jimboomba to be eliminated in the semis.

Just having a guess, lay off the hate!!

3rd consecutive week playing a side who have a bye in the 1s and 2s.

Should be interesting to see who suits up

Ahh just to nip that one in the bud, our QAFL sides played against Mt Gravatt when we played you guys two weeks ago. There were definitely no QAFL players who "dropped down". In fact it was quite the opposite. There were atleast half-a-dozen 3rds blokes who did not play because they were lined up to play 2nds the following day, plus the standard injuries and uni holiday unavailability.

I said it earlier in the year and it has been proven. Any team in the top 7 can beat each other this year. Uq should have knocked off Kedron earlier this year. And cooparoo knocked us off last week. Come finals time there could Definstely be an upset or two. Very hard to predict grand final sides or the winner. Much prefer playing in close games than blow outs.

The depth of Kedron still see's them with one hand on the silverware. Woodsmen have been hit with some injuries that will stretch them against an opponent like Kedron. Sandgate revel in the easy contests but will be no match for Kedron when it counts. They were able to beat Jimboomba last year on a very wet night and that could still happen. Guess we'll just have to wait and see if Zillmere are able to put their best team on the park. One of their better sides was beaten by Kedron first time around and Kedron have only got better since then.

Well done to Ferny Grove and Mayne this season. Particularly Mayne who started not so good but have been putting up some contests, scoreline out at Jimboomba was respectable. A hat tip to Ferny Grove, a very creditable performance so far in the clubs senior debut.

and just to finish on a note of controversy. Jimboomba should heck orf and play in the "South" QAFLB comp with all the other 1 team clubs that play on a saturday.

Ahh just to nip that one in the bud, our QAFL sides played against Mt Gravatt when we played you guys two weeks ago. There were definitely no QAFL players who "dropped down". In fact it was quite the opposite. There were atleast half-a-dozen 3rds blokes who did not play because they were lined up to play 2nds the following day, plus the standard injuries and uni holiday unavailability.

sorry, meant the week before that against Ipswich.

Not sure how our boys are going tonight. Plenty of us are away, and I see Kenmore are playing De Winter and 3 or 4 other senior players

Kedron defeated Yeronga 116-15.

Any other results for the Friday games?

Looks like zillmere beat Mayne by 10 points, not sure about the rest

Coorparoo got up over UQ by a reasonable margin. Great game with the better team on the night getting there.
Thanks to Jiimmy and the boys for their hospitality. We lost but very enjoyable outing.

Coorparoo got up over UQ by a reasonable margin. Great game with the better team on the night getting there.
Thanks to Jiimmy and the boys for their hospitality. We lost but very enjoyable outing.

Woodsmen over Kenmore 74 to 50 I think. Scrappy......

Moro_ can you or someone else on here tell me something? One of the umpires paid a free kick last night for a sling tackle right in front of where I was standing.

I didn't think there was any such thing? I don't believe either Gibbs nor Schultz had frees paid against them in recent AFL matches. But I could be wrong (it's happened once or twice in the past ;))

It was actually a good tackle, the bloke landed on his @rse and got straight back up. Seems strange to me.

Anyone?

Woodsmen over Kenmore 74 to 50 I think. Scrappy......

Moro_ can you or someone else on here tell me something? One of the umpires paid a free kick last night for a sling tackle right in front of where I was standing.

I didn't think there was any such thing? I don't believe either Gibbs nor Schultz had frees paid against them in recent AFL matches. But I could be wrong (it's happened once or twice in the past ;))

It was actually a good tackle, the bloke landed on his @rse and got straight back up. Seems strange to me.

Anyone?

My understanding is that there is a sling rule when the tackle is not all in one motion, so the player can't grab hold of them, hold them up and then try to sling them to the ground. So it depends on what the action was of the tackle last night.

Close game last night King 05, were the woodsmen full strength? I would of thought the woodsmen would have won by a lot more. I didn't get a chance to get out there but sounds like it would have been a good game to watch, I see De Winter for Kenmore kicked 3 goals and was Kenmore's best, is he a regular for the Kenmore 3's, I don't recall hearing his name before.
Who played well for the woodsmen?

Remove this Banner Ad

2015 QAFA (B) Central

Remove this Banner Ad

Back