2015 QAFA (B) Central

Remove this Banner Ad

Made the trip over to watch the anticipated Kedron v Woodsmen game. What a cracker of a game. Both teams gave it everything. The woodsmens were beaten in the midfield in the end soley on legs. I didnt see any of their starting guys rotate. #27 for woodsmen is the gun and when he gets it going forward the hole team appears to get momentum. Fitzgibbon played really well for kedron, took some great hard earned marks. In saying that so did #23 forbes for woodsmen, big strong body and attacks the footy like a maniac.

Will definately be watching kedron v Jimboomba. That will also be a great game. Hope the redbacks keep it clean and play the football.

Who cares about stacking, its div 3, its going to happen. Its been happening for yrs. Enjoy a hard game of football.

From games ive seen i still think Zillmere & Cooparoo are good chances in finals. My tip Kedron v Zillmere.

Plenty can happen between now and GF Day gents.

We've lost 6 guys to season ending injuries, heres hoping we don't lose anymore - but it can happen to anyone.

In this comp, a few sides have some serious top end talent and more than in other comps, when they are out for any reason a lot can change.

I mean, imagine if i got injured? Not sure we would bother showing up... ha!

:p
Sounds like you guys have been knocked around a bit, especially in the midfield. Your forwards look good, I saw you take some good grabs. #21 could have fed you the ball a bit more tho, bit of a seagul on the wing.... quick tho!
Hope you finish year off injury free to be competitive in finals.

Not much talk of the redbacks here as a serious GF contender. Write them off at your own peril. Great game at Alexander Oval on Friday night. They are fast, physically tough, seriously want the ball and spread really really well.
Guise - great player but a wombat. Spent last 1/2 of the game looking for a fight or the opportunity to take someone's head off. Totally unnecessary and not appreciated in this league!!

Plenty of footy before finals. As we all know anything can happen between now and then. There are six teams that want the top prize but only one can win.
Me personally I think I'll worry about it in a couple of weeks time. Bit early yet.

Last edited:
Does anyone else want to guess the grand final match up so more people can tell us that there is "plenty more footy to be played"

We know. Two rounds left. Plus finals. Injuries and upsets happen.

Not taking anything away from other teams, just having a tip at the granny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone else want to guess the grand final match up so more people can tell us that there is "plenty more footy to be played"

We know. Two rounds left. Plus finals. Injuries and upsets happen.

Not taking anything away from other teams, just having a tip at the granny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just trying to be diplomatic. Don't see anyone tipping themselves which is probably a good thing.

Not much talk of the redbacks here as a serious GF contender. Write them off at your own peril. Great game at Alexander Oval on Friday night. They are fast, physically tough, seriously want the ball and spread really really well.
Guise - great player but a wombat. Spent last 1/2 of the game looking for a fight or the opportunity to take someone's head off. Totally unnecessary and not appreciated in this league!!
Definitely not rubbing th out! - guise.. Sounds like a douche! He will get find out this w.e up against kedron on a Saturday!

Are they a better side this year then they were last year? they crashed pretty badly in the finals last year to be knocked out by Sandgate.

What country is this written in or was you typing and looking over your shoulder in case he was coming. I went and watched a UQ side stacked with a few handy Qafl players get well and truely beaten. Guise got heaps of the ball and he got into a few argument like most footballers do if your gonna give it trying to stop them you got to expect it back. And what about their winger smit he ran up and down getting plenty of the ball and then you have Watson and the others but the game was won by the redbacks full back Cassidy who kept their forward to nil goals. And I will tell my mates at Sandgate sorry boys can't go pubing Saturday going to watch the game of the season. And if anyone's dirty it's that guy maggot bloody grub he is
What a load of unintelligible dribble. I'll have a bit of whatever you are on old mate!!
We got beaten well enough - the redbacks were good and I posted to genuinely compliment them and ask why they are not mentioned in dispatches re the GF. I played some of the game at full back and their forward pocket was a gun. He and the Woodsmen FF are good guys and are 2 of the best running around in this league.

Are they a better side this year then they were last year? they crashed pretty badly in the finals last year to be knocked out by Sandgate.

Significantly better Macman.

They also had a few out at finals time last year, but the 2 hangs we played them in 2014 were the hardest games we had. (No offence to Wynnum)

From what i can see, they still don't play ALL their guns every week, but if they get them all out there at once they will be hard to beat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aren't the Cats just mostly the lost boys from Springfield last year with the same deadbeat coach who finds trouble wherever he goes?
Looking at their team sheets they have used about 4 of the old Springfield players but not on a regular basis. Strange why that is so.

Springfield are targeting starting training in October and getting all the boys back together

Everyone seems to be writing off Sandgate and Woodsmen, as most sides would have this issue but from what I am hearing Sandgate have only had there strongest side once this season and they beat a full strength Zillmere comfortably. Woodies have the experience to just get the job done, I think the finals series is going to be very interesting and all capable of beating one another on any given night depending on the sides on the paddock.

I was down at Moorooka on Friday night for the Redbacks vs UQ clash and it didn't let me down.

Redbacks are the most impressive side in the comp through the midfield with a very athletic ruckman combining nicely with Guise, Watson and the old bull Heppell. If they have their full compliment of forwards in Murray, Harley, Ryan and Martin - they will be a hard side to beat for anyone.

UQ had a pretty good team out there and would have gone into the game with a bit of a sniff of victory, especially with a couple of QAFL regulars and 3 or 4 ressies as well. They would have been surprised by the standard though, given Guise and Watson would be certain starters in the UQ QAFL midfield anyway.

Guise just dominated the game and is far and away the best midfielder in this competition, probably ahead of Mihapolous for Woodsmen. He did go head hunting a bit in the 2nd half, but I didn't notice any blokes going down injured so I imagine they will have the full compliment down whoop whoop next Saturday. Having said that, Watson must be the most underrated player in this comp, has been in the best handful in this comp for 5 or 6 years and rarely rates a mention and just keeps on keeping on. Bloke can seriously play.

Interesting result in the other heavyweight clash, when I saw the final score I thought Kedron must have dominated - but I note that the Woodsmen actually held a 3/4 time lead. How on earth did they give up 7 goals in the final 15 minutes after giving up only 5 in the first 3 quarters? I see Thommo is making excuses for guys being out, but looking at the names on the teamsheet I don't see any significant guns not playing, except maybe McEvoy? I note 3 permit players though. Kedron also appears full strength apart from 1 or 2, but I hear that new gun half back is injured and gone for year?

Interesting few weeks coming up. Kedron's to lose by the looks, but there will be 3 or 4 other sides who think they have a real chance. I say only 4 are in it, Sandgate and Coorparoo no chance imo. Sandgate can't get close to Woodsmen and Kedron and Coorparoo will be hurt by both their 1's and 2's hunting premierships.

Everyone seems to be writing off Sandgate and Woodsmen, as most sides would have this issue but from what I am hearing Sandgate have only had there strongest side once this season and they beat a full strength Zillmere comfortably. Woodies have the experience to just get the job done, I think the finals series is going to be very interesting and all capable of beating one another on any given night depending on the sides on the paddock.

Depends why they aren't full strength though. If its because they are unavailable, but will be around for finals - then sure don't write them off. However, in the case of the Woodsmen - their 2 best players are gone for the year, so they will never be full strength, so there isn't any point in speculating an what they could do with those guys in the side.

I was down at Moorooka on Friday night for the Redbacks vs UQ clash and it didn't let me down.

Redbacks are the most impressive side in the comp through the midfield with a very athletic ruckman combining nicely with Guise, Watson and the old bull Heppell. If they have their full compliment of forwards in Murray, Harley, Ryan and Martin - they will be a hard side to beat for anyone.

UQ had a pretty good team out there and would have gone into the game with a bit of a sniff of victory, especially with a couple of QAFL regulars and 3 or 4 ressies as well. They would have been surprised by the standard though, given Guise and Watson would be certain starters in the UQ QAFL midfield anyway.

Guise just dominated the game and is far and away the best midfielder in this competition, probably ahead of Mihapolous for Woodsmen. He did go head hunting a bit in the 2nd half, but I didn't notice any blokes going down injured so I imagine they will have the full compliment down whoop whoop next Saturday. Having said that, Watson must be the most underrated player in this comp, has been in the best handful in this comp for 5 or 6 years and rarely rates a mention and just keeps on keeping on. Bloke can seriously play.

Interesting result in the other heavyweight clash, when I saw the final score I thought Kedron must have dominated - but I note that the Woodsmen actually held a 3/4 time lead. How on earth did they give up 7 goals in the final 15 minutes after giving up only 5 in the first 3 quarters? I see Thommo is making excuses for guys being out, but looking at the names on the teamsheet I don't see any significant guns not playing, except maybe McEvoy? I note 3 permit players though. Kedron also appears full strength apart from 1 or 2, but I hear that new gun half back is injured and gone for year?

Interesting few weeks coming up. Kedron's to lose by the looks, but there will be 3 or 4 other sides who think they have a real chance. I say only 4 are in it, Sandgate and Coorparoo no chance imo. Sandgate can't get close to Woodsmen and Kedron and Coorparoo will be hurt by both their 1's and 2's hunting premierships.
Your information on the half back is correct. This time your a few weeks late though. His been out for a while. Your slipping mate.

Guise and Watson would probably be the 2 best midfield in the competition

Ignoring injured blokes, I would say Guise is the best mid in the comp followed by Mihapolous and Watson. Yorston for Kedron is pretty good and Burton from Zillmere is quite handy. Couple of decent old blokes at Coorparoo as well whose names escape me.

Fitzgibbon seems the most influential player though, Kedron would be a completely different side if he went down. Despite their coaches assertions about not building a team around one player, that seems to be exactly what they have done. (rightly so with a rolls royce like that up front)

Just to clarify, 3 to 4 QAFL Reserves in total - the rest QAFA(B) regulars. The 3 to 4 have played a handful of senior games this year only to cover a lengthy injury list up top. They certainly added a bit of experience around the contest for us, but were by no means stand-outs or even really that influential on the game. Just a good, hard-fought game all round. Jimboomba a quality side with a great mid-field and a very good fast-forward who will definitely be thereabouts when the whips are cracking.

Day, Doherty and Dophin might be QAFL Reserves blokes (although Doplhin has played more Seniors than Reserves) but lets not pretend Maxwell is anything other than a Senior player, but was he just coming back from injury?

Last 3 seasons, 30+ senior games and 5 reserves games. That sir is a senior footballer.

Day, Doherty and Dophin might be QAFL Reserves blokes (although Doplhin has played more Seniors than Reserves) but lets not pretend Maxwell is anything other than a Senior player, but was he just coming back from injury?

Last 3 seasons, 30+ senior games and 5 reserves games. That sir is a senior footballer.

My understanding is that Maxy has been working/studying overseas for most of the year and has only just arrived back without having done any training. Senior potential player sure, but it's not as though he dropped back because of the QAFL bye. Probably only had about half-a-dozen touches in any event.

My point is that while those 4 were handy inclusions they didn't have a huge influence, so as a side we feel that we did pretty well to run with the Redbacks for most of the night. They got on top and kicked a few unanswered in the 3rd quarter which ended up being the difference.

Remove this Banner Ad

2015 QAFA (B) Central

Remove this Banner Ad

Back