2015 South Australian Draft Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Total of 26 South Australians have been invited to the National and State Combines...

National
Matthew Allen - Glenelg
Riley Bonner - West Adelaide
Ryan Burton - North Adelaide
Aaron Francis - West Adelaide
Cameron Hewett - North Adelaide
Oleg Markov - North Adelaide
Wayne Milera - Central Districts
Andre Parrella - Sturt
Luke Partington - Norwood
Mason Redman - Glenelg
Will Snelling - West Adelaide
Stephen Tahana - North Adelaide

State
Kieran Agius – North Adelaide
Jack Agostino – West Adelaide
Jayden Brind – West Adelaide
Jordan Dawson – Sturt
Brendan Dew – Central Districts
Hugh Haysman – West Adelaide
Chris Jansen – Central Districts
Tom Keough – West Adelaide
Patrick Levicki – Norwood
Matthew Nunn – Norwood
Maris Olekalns – North Adelaide
Tim Sullivan – Glenelg
Luke Surman – Norwood
Bailey Williams – Glenelg

As people love to do, any notable omissions? Not really for me. Harrison Cross is a well performed medium defender, thought he might get a little bit of interest - even if he isn't a real standout. Otherwise I'm sure people will mention Will Combe (still think it's funny someone had him as a top 5 pick coming into the 2015) and Kyle Presbury. Presbury in particular could still be added, he has been playing good football since returning from the Championships. But he doesn't really have much of a point of difference for mine, especially at just 182cm. Otherwise, no Harrison Westhoff or Sam Baulderstone. I daresay clubs know what they need to by now about big Baulderstone, nothing new to learn.

Some interesting invites though, mainly two of the three overage players - Tom Keough was obvious, he's almost guaranteed to get drafted this year. But Patrick Levicki (23 years old, 196cm, 94kg) and Chris Jansen (19 years old, 189cm, 83kg) maybe weren't quite as expected. Although having said that, Jansen has been excellent in his first year at Central Districts after moving over from Canberra. The former defender has been of the most consistent midfielders in the SANFL this year, he's getting big numbers most weeks and hitting the scoreboard too. As for Levicki, he's basically doing what you want of a KPP - just gradually improving, for the first season now he has played more games in the seniors than reserves. The big key defender has improved his running game this year, and has been named in the bests in over half of his games.

The other name to take notice of is Bailey Williams (17 years old, 185cm, 75kg) - he is the only draft age player from SA to get an invite who wasn't part of the U18 Championships squad. He's come from outside it and has forced his way into draft calculations on the back of his football. Last weekend his stats sheet read like this - 56 possessions (45 of which were effective), 13 marks, 5 tackles, 9 clearances, 3 inside 50s, 3 rebound 50s and 1 goal. About as good as it gets. Not a particularly fast midfielder, but he works hard and has improved a lot this year.

Thanks Chris - unfortunately Jansen has injured 'both' knees! Freak occurrence - didn't surprise me that he was named.
Patrick Levicki's dimensions says it all 196cm, 94kg - has been really impressive as a tall back. I would think a club would def. rookie him.

Bailey Williams (17 years old, 185cm, 75kg) - Last weekend his stats sheet read like this - 56 possessions (45 of which were effective), 13 marks, 5 tackles, 9 clearances, 3 inside 50s, 3 rebound 50s and 1 goal. About as good as it gets. Not a particularly fast midfielder, but he works hard and has improved a lot this year.
IS THIS A MISPRINT!

Watched a few West Adelaide players over the weekend -

West Adelaide v Sturt (reserves)
Harry Vick
- This was the first game I've seen Vick play for sometime (not sure where he's been), had a very quiet day with 7 possessions and 3 clearances. Played state U18 footy last year as a small defender/run with player. Disappointing, was expecting more from an elite runner.
Lachie Cameron - 6 possession & 5 tackles, didn't get alot of game time but showed his usual aggression around the contests. Alot of upside in this kid and as a bottom ager should slip in nicely to the U18 state program next year.
Graham Hampton - 9 possessions, 6 marks & 4 tackles. Very disappointed with Hampton as I think he's got so much upside to his game. Didnt look like he wanted to be out there in the conditions. Nothing from his performance stood out which is unlike him. Expecting a better response next game. Note- Skippos saw Jamie Hampton play the previous round. The kid has a game and will become an elite player. One passage of play that stands out, he evaded 3 players at half forward at speed then laced out the FF using the outside of his right foot. He is still 16!
Riley Bonner - 26 possessions @ 90% efficiency, 4 marks, 3 tackles, 6 clearances, 3 x I50 & 6 x R50. I've watched Bonner alot this year and this was one of his best games. Didn't make a mistake all day and in the soft slippery conditions these numbers are impressive. Started at HB then rolled into the midfield, worked really hard in and around the contest. Clearance work was impressive and his spread was at a high level. Having a solid consistent season, league game must be close??

League Game-
Tom Keough - I agree with some of the comments redandblack has made about Keough on BF, he is a ready made AFL player IMO. Keough is a good height 194cm, reads the play well, attacks at every opportunity, shuts down his defender but his kick still needs improving. Technique is OK, just decision making when he has it. Made one bad mistake coming out of the BP which cost a goal on Saturday. Other than that he should get rookie drafted from what I've seen.
Will Snelling- Elite workrate, elite hands, elite tackling, elite clearance work, good decision making, average to good kicking skills. This is enough for Snelling to get drafted IMO, he is everything Caleb Daniel is bar the kick which I believe can be improved. Played a great game, was hit hard in the first qtr. by Coad but bounced straight back up, tough kid & still 17 years old!
Hugh Haysman - Has been a bit flat since the Champs and was injured last game v Adelaide reserves, was limping from what I saw. Played better v Sturt, didn't rack up big numbers but continued to work hard on the wing. Kicked a lovely running goal in the last qtr after some impressive lead up work. Needs to get into space more to receive the outlet kick from the defence which will allow him to run and carry which is what Haysmans is great at. Requires a big back end to the season to push into the main draft, but I think he will do it based on work rate and desire.

Watched a few West Adelaide players over the weekend -

West Adelaide v Sturt (reserves)
Harry Vick
- This was the first game I've seen Vick play for sometime (not sure where he's been), had a very quiet day with 7 possessions and 3 clearances. Played state U18 footy last year as a small defender/run with player. Disappointing, was expecting more from an elite runner.
Lachie Cameron - 6 possession & 5 tackles, didn't get alot of game time but showed his usual aggression around the contests. Alot of upside in this kid and as a bottom ager should slip in nicely to the U18 state program next year.
Graham Hampton - 9 possessions, 6 marks & 4 tackles. Very disappointed with Hampton as I think he's got so much upside to his game. Didnt look like he wanted to be out there in the conditions. Nothing from his performance stood out which is unlike him. Expecting a better response next game. Note- Skippos saw Jamie Hampton play the previous round. The kid has a game and will become an elite player. One passage of play that stands out, he evaded 3 players at half forward at speed then laced out the FF using the outside of his right foot. He is still 16!
Riley Bonner - 26 possessions @ 90% efficiency, 4 marks, 3 tackles, 6 clearances, 3 x I50 & 6 x R50. I've watched Bonner alot this year and this was one of his best games. Didn't make a mistake all day and in the soft slippery conditions these numbers are impressive. Started at HB then rolled into the midfield, worked really hard in and around the contest. Clearance work was impressive and his spread was at a high level. Having a solid consistent season, league game must be close??

League Game-
Tom Keough - I agree with some of the comments redandblack has made about Keough on BF, he is a ready made AFL player IMO. Keough is a good height 194cm, reads the play well, attacks at every opportunity, shuts down his defender but his kick still needs improving. Technique is OK, just decision making when he has it. Made one bad mistake coming out of the BP which cost a goal on Saturday. Other than that he should get rookie drafted from what I've seen.
Will Snelling- Elite workrate, elite hands, elite tackling, elite clearance work, good decision making, average to good kicking skills. This is enough for Snelling to get drafted IMO, he is everything Caleb Daniel is bar the kick which I believe can be improved. Played a great game, was hit hard in the first qtr. by Coad but bounced straight back up, tough kid & still 17 years old!
Hugh Haysman - Has been a bit flat since the Champs and was injured last game v Adelaide reserves, was limping from what I saw. Played better v Sturt, didn't rack up big numbers but continued to work hard on the wing. Kicked a lovely running goal in the last qtr after some impressive lead up work. Needs to get into space more to receive the outlet kick from the defence which will allow him to run and carry which is what Haysmans is great at. Requires a big back end to the season to push into the main draft, but I think he will do it based on work rate and desire.
Sorry forgot to add my notes on Jordan Dawson - Played as a high half forward for most of the day. Didn't have alot of impact during the game but was limited by poor ball movement from Sturt. Got into some great positions but the ball just wasn't delivered to him, this happens alot to U18 players coming into a senior team, trust factor. Up side points - Crashed packs and made contests for small forwards & mids, ran to great positions, worked back hard to help out the defence.

Went down to Noarlunga to watch - Keough, Snelling, Haysman & Bonner.
Keough - Had a tough day on Brett Eddy, Eddy kicked 5 goal 3 and along with Fielke was the most dangerous forward on the ground. Keough got severely caught out on numerous occasions with a lack of speed, Eddy led him to the ball and had too many tricks. Just looked a class below and it seemed Eddy was out to prove a point in some way. The defensive pressure from the West Adelaide midfield was insipid, so in Keough's defence he didn't get alot of help. Would have liked to have seen Keough drag Eddy up the ground alot more to take him out of the F50. Bad day out and I hope he bounces back.
Bonner - First league game and didn't look out of place. 13 disposals, 2 clearances, 2 I50 & 2 R50. Started at HB and showed some class with his first 2 disposals. 1st was a hit up from HB to the wing and the second was a quick switch 40m across ground on his right foot. Took a ground ball at pace late in the 1st went through traffic and handed off. Was switched to the wing and rolled forward in the 2nd half. Spent quiet alot of time on the bench in the 3rd & 4th, not sure why as South were down to 1 rotation?? Looked good & handled the physicality.
Snelling - Similar stats to Bonner but 0 tackles which is unusual for him? struggled to get into the game and looked a little lost at stoppages, mind you he was up against a quality South midfield, Cross, Gotch & Rose with Bass tapping it down their throat all day. Looked a little tired at times and didnt have his usual high work rate. Made a couple of minor foot errors but was under extreme pressure. Played mostly as a defensive mid and didnt get on alot of HB receives which again comes down to workrate and IMO being tired. He'll bounce back its in his nature.
Haysman - Quiet day, minimal impact on the stats page but like Bonner spent quiet alot of time on the bench. Couldn't knock his workrate whilst he was on the ground and ran to the correct spots to receive the footy. Lateral movement and step was evident and usual tenacity at every contest was there. Positioning for defensive switch great but wasn't used. Game time was around 50-60% so not being used as much as previous games which is strange considering his good season form.

One player that caught my eye that I haven't seen alot of was Gulden #43, WOW this kid can play. 24 disposals, 11 marks and 6 x I50, has genuine speed and hurt factor when he has the footy, 50m player. Played on the wing and South went to him most times for their D50 outlet kick. Used the ball well and set up numerous goals for Eddy. I understand he was watched last season and im a little surprised he hasnt been invited to the state screening. 188cm but being 24 might be against him?? very impressive.

Pretty accurate write-ups of the West players, DHB.

I also agree with you about Gulden. Highly impressive.

Interesting also that Jaydn Brind won the medal at the Schools' Final. A lot of well known players, including Aaron Francis, played.

Brind played his first game for the Reserves yesterday and kicked 3 goals. Baysman was dropped to the Reserves and responded with a BOG. Tom Keough was very good.

A lad playing Under 18's for West, Matthew Hayball, has some special talent, but is very raw.

U18s
Jake Comitogianni* - 29 touches, 4 clearances, 5 inside 50s

Now there's a name that rings a bell. Went to the same primary school as him, his brother and sister. Always thought it would be his brother that was going to stand out.

What do you think his odds are of making it to an AFL list?

Do many kids get drafted from sanfl u18s or do they usually have to get senior exposer for them to be noticed and invited to combines, in particular the national combine. These guys are along with WA at a big disadvantage compared to tac cup kids. Is the tac cups best players between kid 20-50 any different to a sanfl kid

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those wondering about Will Snelling should have seen him play today in the Qualifying Final against a Port outfit with 17 listed players.

Will was second leading possession getter and very impressive again.

Anyone watch Central play Port on the weekend?

Wayne Milera against many AFL players was absolutely sensational. One of his 3 goals was a complete pearler, dodged and weaved around endless opponents but never panicked before snapping truly. He exhibited such poise and calm in traffic, clean hands and great decision making. Boy he is a talent.

Presbury did his drafting claims no harm either with a good game and a very nice goal late.

Anyone watch Central play Port on the weekend?

Wayne Milera against many AFL players was absolutely sensational. One of his 3 goals was a complete pearler, dodged and weaved around endless opponents but never panicked before snapping truly. He exhibited such poise and calm in traffic, clean hands and great decision making. Boy he is a talent.

Presbury did his drafting claims no harm either with a good game and a very nice goal late.
Yeah went for a look as my son is good mates with Presbury.
Milera looked a class above everything else out there. Plenty of scouts at the game and several commented that Milera should go in the 10-20 range

Yeah went for a look as my son is good mates with Presbury.
Milera looked a class above everything else out there. Plenty of scouts at the game and several commented that Milera should go in the 10-20 range
Speaking of 'class above'—Mitch(ell) Carter is a big forward who was amazing for Norwood in the U/18 Norwood v North preliminary final (was streamed on YouTube). He blew North out of the water by kicking 4 goals in a second quarter when he just plucked and drilled anything that came near him. Total of 6 for the match, and has now gone to the top of the SANFL U/18 goalkicking table for the year. Didn't make the U/18 state squad for the champs, but I'm guessing probably underage for this draft? His fellow big man Luke Surman (who played pretty well in the same match) has scored state screening. Lochie Pascoe is yet another Norwood U/18 big guy who seems to have a strong grab on him, but I'm pretty sure he's underage.

As the U/18 comp has no minimum games qualification for finals for those who are actually U/18, Norwood has gotten to load up with 3 young SANFL league regulars (Partington, Cross, Nunn) for the U/18 GF vs Eagles. Be interesting to see if it makes a difference.

Bailey Williams (17 years old, 185cm, 75kg) - Last weekend his stats sheet read like this - 56 possessions (45 of which were effective), 13 marks, 5 tackles, 9 clearances, 3 inside 50s, 3 rebound 50s and 1 goal. About as good as it gets. Not a particularly fast midfielder, but he works hard and has improved a lot this year.
IS THIS A MISPRINT!

Hey mate, would love for you to head over to the Bailey Williams thread on the dogs board and give us your thoughts on the kid, we don't know too much about him besides the monster 56 disposal game he had. What type of player is he? Who does he remind you of and what are his strengths and weaknesses?

Speaking of 'class above'—Mitch(ell) Carter is a big forward who was amazing for Norwood in the U/18 Norwood v North preliminary final (was streamed on YouTube). He blew North out of the water by kicking 4 goals in a second quarter when he just plucked and drilled anything that came near him. Total of 6 for the match, and has now gone to the top of the SANFL U/18 goalkicking table for the year. Didn't make the U/18 state squad for the champs, but I'm guessing probably underage for this draft? His fellow big man Luke Surman (who played pretty well in the same match) has scored state screening. Lochie Pascoe is yet another Norwood U/18 big guy who seems to have a strong grab on him, but I'm pretty sure he's underage.

As the U/18 comp has no minimum games qualification for finals for those who are actually U/18, Norwood has gotten to load up with 3 young SANFL league regulars (Partington, Cross, Nunn) for the U/18 GF vs Eagles. Be interesting to see if it makes a difference.
Lachlan Pascoe is two years bottom age.
Mitch is bottom age.

IS THIS A MISPRINT!

Goal at the 50 second mark is very Fyfe vs Geelong like

Remove this Banner Ad

2015 South Australian Draft Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Back