List Mgmt. 2015 Trade, Free agency and draft rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of interest, why would we be targeting a KPF over a midfielder/utility? No doubt he'll be a good player, but replacing our older midfielders seems like a bigger need right now, especially with Jed gone and Weideman probably taking a few years to get up to speed.

Genuine, talented Key Power Forwards are hard to come by. Genuine Key Power forwards available for a team that has constantly been within the 1-10 range on the ladder since 2007 (and has won the last three Premierships) is unheard of.

We need midfielders, but midfielders can be found at later ranks. With Roughead being 29, Shoenmakers being solid but generally unable to really monster teams, O'Brien's progress stalling and Shem being a project player, having a player like Weideman develop then come into our side would keep our goal scoring ability strong and for a long time.

Weideman's also been somewhat impacted by injuries, and if he hadnt been his raw ability to contested mark and convert while being athletic would have him perhaps in contention for an even higher selection than he is now.

KPF's are hard to come by and essential for sucess, and we may not get another chance in the coming years (assuming we do trade for Pick 8).

We had 40 on the senior list and 4 on the rookie list in 2015. This excludes the international rookies.
It is possible that we may decide to have 38 on the senior list and 6 on the rookie list in 2016 in the event that the club considers later picks in the draft are not warranted.
This may depend on what Whitecross and Simpkin decide to do or what we have decided to do to them.
In other words we probably won't have more than 2 or 3 picks in this draft and maybe a delisted FA.

Isn't Mathieson the guy the Saints are after with pick 5?

I don't think we need to focus on getting a forward. We will need mids the most with guys like Mitchell, Hodge and Burgoyne getting on in years. We have good coverage of players with 5+ years left at either end of the ground.

I'd rather just have 38 on the senior list than draft guys with picks in the 70s. You draft them this year and they take a spot for 2 years. Keep those spots open and you take a punt with later picks next year where there is a better chance of finding good players with later picks due to more depth in the talent pool. And especially now that you can bank cap space it just makes sense to leave those spots on the primary list open.

We dont necessarily need to try and package 15+18 to GWS for 8 to give to Ess for Carlisle. Theyre already happy with 15+18 on their own.

Think the point is more that we want something back like a pick in the 20s. If we just swap 15 and 18 for Carlisle our fist pick would be in the 50s and we'd still have a lot of places on the list to fill to even get to the minimum 38 primary listed players.

Out of interest, why would we be targeting a KPF over a midfielder/utility? No doubt he'll be a good player, but replacing our older midfielders seems like a bigger need right now, especially with Jed gone and Weideman probably taking a few years to get up to speed.

Weidman is a generational type of footballer, 196cm with a great frame, has a brilliant contested mark and a massive tank and a great kick. He has slid to the 6-12 range just due to injuries. He played for the AIS this year against the Northern Blues and took 7 contested marks, he breaks defenders with gut run and great hands. We can get mids from anywhere, often kids drafted in the 20s-40s end up better than mids in the top 10, look at guys like Mitchell and Shiels who were all drafted mid draft.

Carlisle is still the safe get but Weidman ( provided we get pick 8 ) is a pretty special talent. The Pies faithful would hate it, it's like getting Darcy Moore in brown and gold.

Genuine, talented Key Power Forwards are hard to come by. Genuine Key Power forwards available for a team that has constantly been within the 1-10 range on the ladder since 2007 (and has won the last three Premierships) is unheard of.

We need midfielders, but midfielders can be found at later ranks. With Roughead being 29, Shoenmakers being solid but generally unable to really monster teams, O'Brien's progress stalling and Shem being a project player, having a player like Weideman develop then come into our side would keep our goal scoring ability strong and for a long time.

Weideman's also been somewhat impacted by injuries, and if he hadnt been his raw ability to contested mark and convert while being athletic would have him perhaps in contention for an even higher selection than he is now.

KPF's are hard to come by and essential for sucess, and we may not get another chance in the coming years (assuming we do trade for Pick 8).

That all sounds great, but if we trade for pick 8, we probably won't have any picks in the rest of the early rounds. Given we need to replace Mitchell/Hodge/Burgoyne in the next year or two, we need to get those players in as soon as possible. Roughead still probably has at least 3 or 4 years left in him, which gives us time to find a replacement. We don't have that luxury with our midfielders.

There's also the point that if Weideman is injury prone, we could potentially get nothing from this draft if we only take him and late picks. Considering we could pick up two players with our late first rounders, i'm just not sure it's worth the risk for a guy who doesn't fill any immediate needs for us.

Teams have won flags without elite KPF's, but i can't think of a team that has without a very good midfield.

G'day Carlisle co-conspirators / temporary new best friends, sorry for the intrusion. Just had a question about Woodward, and your plans on re-drafting him. Has the club indicated whether it's more a) the usual gentleman's agreement with other clubs to let him slide to your RD pick, or b) "we'll take you if someone doesn't snap you up first"? Haven't heard of anyone planning to snatch him, just curious.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

G'day Carlisle co-conspirators / temporary new best friends, sorry for the intrusion. Just had a question about Woodward, and your plans on re-drafting him. Has the club indicated whether it's more a) the usual gentleman's agreement with other clubs to let him slide to your RD pick, or b) "we'll take you if someone doesn't snap you up first"? Haven't heard of anyone planning to snatch him, just curious.

Our list manager has said if another club hasn't drafted we will re-rookie list him.

Weidman is a generational type of footballer, 196cm with a great frame, has a brilliant contested mark and a massive tank and a great kick. He has slid to the 6-12 range just due to injuries. He played for the AIS this year against the Northern Blues and took 7 contested marks, he breaks defenders with gut run and great hands. We can get mids from anywhere, often kids drafted in the 20s-40s end up better than mids in the top 10, look at guys like Mitchell and Shiels who were all drafted mid draft.

Carlisle is still the safe get but Weidman ( provided we get pick 8 ) is a pretty special talent. The Pies faithful would hate it, it's like getting Darcy Moore in brown and gold.

Yep, i'll admit, i know nothing of any of these players. I'm just wondering whether we're currently in a position to take the best available when we have not much in the cupboard to replace our older midfielders, and our number 1 replacement has just been traded. The other thing is that people always say we can get midfielders from wherever, but the fact is that outside of Kennedy, we arguably haven't drafted any elite inside mids since Lewis with a very high pick. As good as Shiels is, he isn't in the same league as Hodge or Mitchell.

Also how accurate is the 'generational type of footballer' tag? I've heard many KPP's get hyped beyond belief before the draft, only to go on to have nothing careers, especially those who are injury prone. I guess i'm just concerned that we would put all our draft hope into a guy who won't impact for a few years, doesn't fill an immediate need, and doesn't help us win a flag while our window is open.

Agreed about KPF's. Are harder to find, really found outside top 5 or f/s.

When Roughy goes we will need to either bottom out or trade to get this pick.

Also it takes a few years to hit their peak. Midfielders come on quicker.

So if Roughy has 3-4 left, then we need to be looking at that now

I love that we are going for a big KPD like Carlisle. No doubt that he can be a great player but I will admitt I still have some concerns with him fitting in Hawthorn's system.

If we don't get Carlisle I would love to see the Hawks pick up Kieran Collins with pick 18 or 15. Trade Talk radio on Monday mentioned the Hawks had big wraps on this kid. Full back who is mature boddied and ready to step straight in a team. 194cm 100Kg second best key defender in the draft pool. Lock-down defender who can intercept marking, and solid kicking.

Feeling good even if we don't get Carlisle.

He is contracted, so we have to pay him and include him in our 2016 cap. .
Like Grimley last year the club might be hoping that someone else picks him up first.

Why wouldn't he say he prefers St Kilda, and probably
I'd like HFC not to let this Carlisle trade drag on too long, otherwise we're nothing but leverage against the Saints.
How about a decision by 5:00pm Friday, or we announce we're out of the trade.
That way, Essendon loses leverage, St Kilda can string out the dunns for as long as possible with as weak a return as stomacheable, and Essendon wishes they'd done the deal we'd offered.
As for Carlisle, if he doesn't come to us, his future is already marked 'lost and stupid'.

Yes. We should tell the bombers our offer will be withdrawn at close of business today, as we have other trades to work on. Make them come to a decision, as they know he can always go to the draft, and then, they would lose out.

some talk about should we go after kpp or mids with draft picks.
Think, why are Essendon asking for an inside 10 pick for Jake and Gold Coast asking for 1st rounders for Dixon, both are very up and down form players, because Kpp are much much harder to find than mids
sent from phone please

I love that we are going for a big KPD like Carlisle. No doubt that he can be a great player but I will admitt I still have some concerns with him fitting in Hawthorn's system.

If we don't get Carlisle I would love to see the Hawks pick up Kieran Collins with pick 18 or 15. Trade Talk radio on Monday mentioned the Hawks had big wraps on this kid. Full back who is mature boddied and ready to step straight in a team. 194cm 100Kg second best key defender in the draft pool. Lock-down defender who can intercept marking, and solid kicking.

Feeling good even if we don't get Carlisle.

I read that Collins isn't fast. I think successful backman need to be fast, or will end up like Matthew Watson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back