2016 AFL Fixture. News and Speculation

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL have scrapped Sunday Night Games haven't they?
They'd probably make an exception when ANZAC Day's the next day. The horse going around the G in the dark at the Dees v Richmond game was a very powerful moment. Absolutely should be a night game.

The season opener should be the most competitive possible match-up (involving a large Victorian club for TV and attendance purposes). Note: most competitive possible. Not 'the teams we always put on the first game'. I believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it - however, the Richmond/Carlton season opener is broke until the Blues can rebuild.

Perhaps top Vic side v top Non Vic side at the MCG that's not the GF replay.

Hawthorn v Fremantle ?

Sounds all right. A GF replay is too predictable - who wants to watch the grand final, then go away for six months, then come back and watch that same match-up again? Bo-riiing.

Yeah good call, the last 3 GF rematched have been after round 1.

2012 GF Rematch (Round 7)
2013 GF Rematch (Round 3)
2014 GF Rematch (Round 8)

They'd probably make an exception when ANZAC Day's the next day. The horse going around the G in the dark at the Dees v Richmond game was a very powerful moment. Absolutely should be a night game.

ok i'll put it in my fixture then. The point seems valid.

which means there's no chance in ******* hell the AFL would do that, why would they want to

Fremantle vs Port Adelaide - Round 23 2014, Semi Final 2014, Round 1 2015.

It has precedence.

Thread for the 2016 AFL Fixture, anything related to it, for anyone interested. Soon enough i will have a full fixture ready to post, so i'll start this of with round 1.

Thursday 24th March
Richmond vs Carlton (MCG) 7:20 (7)

Saturday 26th March
Collingwood vs Western Bulldogs (MCG) 1:40 (FF)
Gold Coast Suns vs Sydney Swans (MS) 4:40 (FF)
West Coast Eagles vs North Melbourne (DS) 5:40 (7)
Saint Kilda vs Melbourne (ES) 7:20 (FF)

Sunday 27th March
GWS.Giants vs Adelaide Crows (TBC) Is this ground available straight away??? (the showgrounds)
Essendon vs Fremantle (ES) 3:20 (7)
Port Adelaide vs Brisbane Lions (AO) 4:10 (FF)

Monday 28th March
Geelong Cats vs Hawthorn (MCG) 3:20 (7)

Fixture should be up in 2-3 weeks at the latest.
Good to see Port get a easy game to start momentum. This cant be the actual round 1 fixture?

Thurs: West Coast v Richmond, Domain (non-Vic club home game v high rating Vic club, not the GF replay which be can saved until later)

Fri: Collingwood v Western Bulldogs, MCG

Sat:
Sydney v GWS, SCG
Brisbane v Hawthorn, Gabba
Carlton v Gold Coast, Etihad
Port Adelaide v North, Adelaide Oval

Sun:
Melbourne v Adelaide, MCG
St Kilda v Fremantle, Etihad (why is this always seemingly at the end of the season?)

Mon:
Geelong v Hawthorn, MCG

im hoping for:
Round 1 easter weekend.
Collingwood vs Bulldogs (Thurs) MCG
Friday
North Melbourne vs Carlton (good Friday twilight) EITIHAD
Saturday
Port Adelaide vs Essendon AO
Sydney vs GWS SCG Twilight
Richmond vs Fremantle MCG (n)
Gold Coast vs Adelaide (n)
Sunday
St Kilda vs Brisbane Lions (early start)
West Coast vs Melbourne (Twilight)
Monday
Geelong vs Hawthorn

Good to see Port get a easy game to start momentum. This cant be the actual round 1 fixture?

Jesus christ people will whinge about anything. No it's not the official fixture, hence the rest of the posts straight after posting different ones, but even if it was you are sooking based off seeing 1 ****ing round.

2016 its Ports turn to host round 1 at home and the crows will host 23 at home. we switch ever year.
So the Crows will be away in round 1 this year. Hope to avoid a trip to Perth in Round 1 as the Eagles will be at home in Round 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Id love for the AFL to scarp to staple fixtures like the easter Monday cats/hawks and the Richmond/blues season opener.
Id love to see West Coast open the season at Domain against Hawthorn.
and give easter Monday to a Collingwood v Carlton

Season opener should be a GF replay at the loser's home ground. The two losing Preliminary finalists then play the second game, losing Semi finalists in the third game, losing Elimination Finalists the fourth game, then the rest of the teams.

Last edited:
Season opener should be a GF replay at the loser's home ground. The two losing Preliminary finalists then play the second game, losing Elimination Finalists the third game, then the rest of the teams.

I take it that's a request?

I've also drafted an ANZAC round fixture (Round 5)

Friday April 22
Fremantle vs Geelong Cats (DS) 6:15 (7)

Saturday April 23
Western Bulldogs vs West Coast Eagles (ES) 1:15 (FF)
GWS.Giants vs Saint Kilda (MO) 4:15 (FF)
North Melbourne vs Sydney Swans 7:20 (MCG) More G experience for the Kangaroos
Port Adelaide vs Hawthorn (AO) 7:15 (7) (This has become an annual fixture i think)

Sunday April 24
Gold Coast Suns vs Brisbane Lions (MS) 1:15 (FF)
Carlton vs Adelaide Crows (ES) 3:20 (7)
Melbourne vs Richmond (MCG) 4:45 (ANZAC day eve annual fixture)

Monday April 25
Collingwood vs Essendon (MCG) 2:40 (7)

Things to consider
-GWS would like an annual twilight anzac match at Manuka Oval
-Fremantle celebrate their len hall game with a Friday or Saturday night match at Home (since 2012 under the new system)
-Melbourne and Richmond have requested to make an Anzac day eve fixture annual (at least while they can have it on a weekend)
-Port Adelaide and Hawthorn having a massive crowd for the ANZAC fixture last year have requested an annual fixture also.
The Len Hall game, where possible is held as close to ANZAC day as possible. I dare say it'll be a Sunday or a Monay night game.

Remove this Banner Ad

2016 AFL Fixture. News and Speculation

Remove this Banner Ad

Back