2016 AFL Fixture. News and Speculation

Remove this Banner Ad

I take it that's a request?

A suggestion.

So Round 1 would look like:

WCE vs Hawthorn (Domain)
North vs Fremantle (Etihad)
Sydney vs Adelaide (SCG - Adelaide's turn to start season away)
Richmond vs Western Bulldogs (MCG)

(The rest are just random)

Port Adelaide vs Geelong (AO)
Collingwood vs St Kilda (Etihad)
Brisbane vs Carlton (Gabba)
GWS vs Gold Coast (Spotless)
Melbourne vs Essendon (MCG)

The Len Hall game, where possible is held as close to ANZAC day as possible. I dare say it'll be a Sunday or a Monay night game.

I remember in 2011 it was a Monday night game but the AFL have scrapped Sunday and Monday night games haven't they?

I remember in 2011 it was a Monday night game but the AFL have scrapped Sunday and Monday night games haven't they?
Given that at the time there wasn't any Sunday/Monday games IIRC, this may get an exemption for one of them.

Monday nights when the Monday is a public holiday would work OK. There's no reason there can't be multiple ANZAC Day games again; but to allow a decent break between games, any team playing on ANZAC Day would have to have a Sunday game in the next round.

Something that occurs to me with next year's draw. The players want two byes during a season - they accepted this year was a one-off because of the Cricket World Cup, but they'll be expecting two byes next season.
If we start on the Easter weekend and have 22 games plus two byes before the finals, we're looking at a 1st October Grand Final. I don't have a problem with that, but if the Grand Final is going to go back to the traditional last Saturday in September, we'll need to start the weekend before Easter.

11 home games. 3 in Canberra leaves 8 to be played at Spotless.
Canberra's an important part of our club - it's worth $1m and 3,000 members to us. They're important and we need them. But we're spreading ourselves way too thinly to take any more home games away from Spotless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My prediction for Round 1 next season **All times Local**

Thursday March 24
Richmond Vs Carlton - Melbourne Cricket Ground 7.50pm Channel 7
Saturday March 26

Melbourne Vs Essendon - Melbourne Cricket Ground 1.40pm Fox Footy
Gold Coast Vs Sydney Swans - Metricon Stadium 3.35pm Fox Footy
West Coast Eagles Vs Adelaide - Domain Stadium 4.40pm Fox Footy
Western Bulldogs Vs Collingwood - Etihad Stadium 7.20pm Channel 7
Sunday March 27

GWS Giants Vs Brisbane Lions - StarTrack Oval 1.10pm Fox Footy
St Kilda Vs North Melbourne - Etihad Stadium 3.20pm Channel 7
Port Adelaide Vs Fremantle - Adelaide Oval 4.15pm Fox Footy
Monday March 28

Geelong Cats Vs Hawthorn - Melbourne Cricket Ground 3.20pm Channel 7

- RICH vs CARL Opener Thursday Night
- WB vs COLL rumoured to play Rd 1 at the G, I'd have it a Etihad, better Atmosphere
- Giants turn this year to open Season at home, in Canberra however due to Showgrounds
being unavailable because of the Easter show Sydney has.
- PORT v FREM Easter Sunday Blockbuster second season in a row, this time in Adelaide
- GEEL v HAW Annual Easter Monday clash

Sounds all right. A GF replay is too predictable - who wants to watch the grand final, then go away for six months, then come back and watch that same match-up again? Bo-riiing.
I want the GF replay in round one, as a Saturday afternoon game with the premiers at home.
The prelim finalists can open the season.
The losing semi-finalists play each other Saturday night, and the the losing elimination finalists on Sunday afternoon.
Big games which are earned, and if the other games are done right everyone goes into round one with genuine hope of a win.

I've also drafted an ANZAC round fixture (Round 5)
Things to consider
-GWS would like an annual twilight anzac match at Manuka Oval

This year's game was a massive fail because of the very cold weather. Afternoons or nothing in Canberra, it gets pretty cold very quickly after sunset anyway

I want the GF replay in round one, as a Saturday afternoon game with the premiers at home.
The losing semi-finalists play each other Saturday night, and the the losing elimination finalists on Sunday afternoon.
Big games which are earned, and if the other games are done right everyone goes into round one with genuine hope of a win.

Wouldn't work, the would mean Eagles supporters would be tuning in at 10.30am to watch it in Perth, I'd have it at Round 7, Eagles home game, Friday Night

Predictied number of Friday Night games for the follwing teams

Richmond 6
Hawthorn 6
North Melb 6
Collingwood 4
W Bulldogs 4
WCE/FREM 3
Sydney 3
Geelong 3
ADEL/PORT 2
St Kilda 1

Lions, Giants, Demons, Dons and Blues Miss out

DEAR GOD PLEASE FOR THE SAKE OF HUMANITY, PLEASE, PLEASE NO FRIDAY NIGHT GAMES FOR CARLTON!!!

I'll put in 2 Finals rematches rounds. I like what you're saying here, i think it has great appeal to both 7 and the footy public.

Predictied number of Friday Night games for the follwing teams

Richmond 6
Hawthorn 6
North Melb 6
Collingwood 4
W Bulldogs 4
WCE/FREM 3
Sydney 3
Geelong 3
ADEL/PORT 2
St Kilda 1

Lions, Giants, Demons, Dons and Blues Miss out

DEAR GOD PLEASE FOR THE SAKE OF HUMANITY, PLEASE, PLEASE NO FRIDAY NIGHT GAMES FOR CARLTON!!!

I think that's fair enough, i completely agree with you. Last year Carlton played about 6 Friday night games for an average losing margin of 77 points. :(

NOONE wants to watch that crap, but knowing the AFL, they will give them 1 against Collingwood, (they always do) unfortunately, but that will be it, surely.

As i alluded to earlier, for round 1 you can lock in

Tigers v Blues (Thursday Night, MCG)
Pies v Dogs (Saturday Arvo, MCG)
Hawks v Cats (Monday Arvo, MCG)

Port, Gold Coast, GWS, West Coast, all to start their seasons at home. (They all played R1 on the road in 2015)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back