D1 2016 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thanks Bedford - good to hit the week off on a positive note. We are really streaky at the moment, both in games and between games. We played a similar way against Yarra a few weeks back, and that was the other time we just clicked and managed to hit the gas from the start. You saw us at our worst (and we also played like cr@p against OGGs). As with most young teams, playing away is a big problem at the moment.

As I said a few weeks back, the SMS game showed us we could play good footy against middling/good teams, we just haven't done it often enough for long enough.

Fact is, the top 3 are a class above the rest, so we just hope to beat Yarra and OMs, maybe jag one more and finish with 6-7 wins. That should be enough to stamp our ticket for Div 1 in 2016.

It was good to see Saneth Jayusuriya return to competitive sport on the weekend. He wore number 28 for SMS in the seniors. I never knew that he had an AFL background. He got a few touches but I reckon he should return to politics in Sri Lanka. Anyway I digress, it was a pity that MONDERMANIA 2015 had to be postponed due to the weather, although I did see some of the ressies players enjoying a bevy upstairs with Jimmy " The Superfly" Snooka. It was nice of him to stay around & support the Monders. It was also disappointing that the much anticipated banter between the mummy boy clan & the well respected Ormond supporters didn't occur. The boy was apparently overseas. Coincidence???? You be the judge. Final score line was to be expected.
P.S. The Monders ressies side also handed SMS their first defeat & thus took top spot. MM is enjoying ressies footy as are his team mates. Well played lads!

Somehow feel Mal won't be "enjoying ressies footy" for much longer. :)
I think you'll find the MM will be playing ressies for at least a few more weeks. His overall fitness is still a work in progress, but I'm sure come round 15 or so he'll be raring to go in the later game.

Surprising Beamsy. Reckon a 1/2 fit MM would more than hold his own at D1 senior level. Particularly with the numbers out with injury.

Do wish someone from OGGS or Kew would chime in with a comment or two.

Then again, they may have lives.:eek::D
There is no doubt that his football nouse & ball use is already up to scratch to play in the 1's, but his tank & ability to cover the ground is still the question. From his first game to his latest game there was a huge improvement & we are expecting that this form line will continue over the next few weeks. There is no rush, remember that the 1's are travelling pretty well at the moment.
I agree that's it's been very quiet on here since Saturday. Maybe everybody is in break mode & will reconvene next week.

Surprising Beamsy. Reckon a 1/2 fit MM would more than hold his own at D1 senior level. Particularly with the numbers out with injury.

Do wish someone from OGGS or Kew would chime in with a comment or two.

Then again, they may have lives.:eek::D

Nah don't worry I am here and don't have a life! The top 4 are firmly set and I can't wait for finals. Old Geelong are dangerous side who have only lost twice - in round 1 when their team was just getting to know each other against a red hot Kew side and against Ormond in a game they should have won. They host Kew at Como next game which will be huge.

As we've heard every second post (and about 5 times by the Ormond president when they were demolished by Kew at EE Gunn), Ormond do have quality players out and when they have a full strength side in a few weeks they'll be tough to beat. Kew host Ormond in about a months time which will be a more accurate indication of where both clubs are at heading into finals.

St Mary's played a B grade team on the weekend and didn't have the regulars in Gatehouse, Tanner, Jones, Strangward and Holmes, so I wouldn't take much out of that game v Ormond. When at full strength they're a very good side.

Yarra Valley and Bulleen Temp need to go down to D2 to regroup and Prahran Assumption will be kicking themselves after a really disappointing season. With some of the players they have got and the depth they possess at Toorak Park, they should be playing finals footy.

Nah don't worry I am here and don't have a life! The top 4 are firmly set and I can't wait for finals. Old Geelong are dangerous side who have only lost twice - in round 1 when their team was just getting to know each other against a red hot Kew side and against Ormond in a game they should have won. They host Kew at Como next game which will be huge.

As we've heard every second post (and about 5 times by the Ormond president when they were demolished by Kew at EE Gunn), Ormond do have quality players out and when they have a full strength side in a few weeks they'll be tough to beat. Kew host Ormond in about a months time which will be a more accurate indication of where both clubs are at heading into finals.

St Mary's played a B grade team on the weekend and didn't have the regulars in Gatehouse, Tanner, Jones, Strangward and Holmes, so I wouldn't take much out of that game v Ormond. When at full strength they're a very good side.

Yarra Valley and Bulleen Temp need to go down to D2 to regroup and Prahran Assumption will be kicking themselves after a really disappointing season. With some of the players they have got and the depth they possess at Toorak Park, they should be playing finals footy.

I agree with most of what you've said Richo. SMS did have a lot of their first graders out on Saturday so I wouldn't take too much from that result. Not quite sure that OGGS should have beaten Ormond the first time around. Ormond were 6 goals up in the third quarter that day & had some defensive lapses later on in the game to let them back into the contest. Kew are the side that deserve their undefeated status. They are a good side & will take a real 4 quarter effort to beat. I'm very surprised that Prahran haven't been more successful. I reckon they have underachieved this year. They were pretty good against Ormond at Toorak park & I think they may have a say in shaping the lineup of the final 4. The rest are battling to keep their seasons alive & to find something to play for. It's a minty that Yarra Valley are going down, but the other side to make the drop is not so clear. BT have found ways in the past to avoid the drop. Time will tell. Anyway I'm sure that most clubs will enjoy the break & will welcome some players back when we resume. image.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is no doubt that his football nouse & ball use is already up to scratch to play in the 1's, but his tank & ability to cover the ground is still the question. From his first game to his latest game there was a huge improvement & we are expecting that this form line will continue over the next few weeks. There is no rush, remember that the 1's are travelling pretty well at the moment.
I agree that's it's been very quiet on here since Saturday. Maybe everybody is in break mode & will reconvene next week.

Please......With all due respect we are talking about the 4th grade of an amateur competition here. While he might comfortable rolling the arm over in the 2s for a few more weeks I would be fairly confident that a man of his physical size not to mention pure talent, might be able to cope with the standard, even if underdone and his “tank & ability to cover the ground is still the question”.

Please......With all due respect we are talking about the 4th grade of an amateur competition here. While he might comfortable rolling the arm over in the 2s for a few more weeks I would be fairly confident that a man of his physical size not to mention pure talent, might be able to cope with the standard, even if underdone and his “tank & ability to cover the ground is still the question”.
I'm just telling you what I'm being told. You can take it how you like. Simple as that. Time will tell if I'm on the money or not.

I don't think he'll even have the biggest arse in the competition. There are a few wombats going around. He'll be fine to play ones. I doubt he'll set the world on fire in the way some of us expected him too but he'll be more than handy.

I don't think he'll even have the biggest arse in the competition. There are a few wombats going around. He'll be fine to play ones. I doubt he'll set the world on fire in the way some of us expected him too but he'll be more than handy.
No one expects him to "set the world on fire". Least of all him I'd suggest.

Reckon the Monders would be happy for him to play his role, provide know-how and add experience

Careful AM, some don't like us to talk about the Monds, but there only is only about 4 or 5 club people that post.

Understand! Just responding. As I indicated in the now closed Billington thread to FWIW - people pissed-off at the content should expand the topics.

Which brings me to the ping at me by OTP who then closed the thread. Apologies for the diversion. OTP said:

So next time I won't bother responding to multiple reports and private messages about the individuals concerned (the main protagonist will be back tomorrow).

I'll just handball it to one of the BF super mods who will dish out cards like confetti while I shake my head sadly and mutter "self-inflicted" and "I told you so" at suitable intervals.

OT "Keep biting the hand" P

You do a great job OTP. That doesn't mean you should be exempt - nor would you expect to be I'm sure - from legit comment.

You took a ping at me for doing no more than putting a viewpoint in mitigation in the Billington matter. My first two words in my post showed I wasn't endorsing the content. Seemed to me hitherto he'd been a reasonable poster and a few words in mitigation weren't out of order and a ping at me wasn't called for in my view.

Are we all pretty set on the following:

Top 4:
Kew
Ormond
Old Geelong
St Mary's

Bottom 2:
Bulleen Temp
Yarra Valley

Hedgefund to drink 45 beers at Mad Monday?

Blokes to drink a lot of piss and make inappropriate moves on women on footy trip?

Or can we expect surprises?

Discuss plz.

Top four basically set. Prahran will need to beat at least two of SMS, Ormond or Geelong and need SMS to drop games to teams below them, as well. NOBs are cooked and with a % of 70 odd, they'll finish middle of the road, at best.

Race for the 2nd relegation is still on though. Wouldn't discount BT as they have surprised a few this year. OM's and Whitefriars wouldn't want to drop games to YV or BT.

Kew have Old Geelong, SMS and Ormond with OM's in between in their next four. Win two of them and top two is safe. Ormond vs Old Geelong in a few weeks is also a pivotal match for both teams. For some reason I feel as if Ormond may be getting a player or two back in the coming weeks ;)

Top four basically set. Prahran will need to beat at least two of SMS, Ormond or Geelong and need SMS to drop games to teams below them, as well. NOBs are cooked and with a % of 70 odd, they'll finish middle of the road, at best.

Race for the 2nd relegation is still on though. Wouldn't discount BT as they have surprised a few this year. OM's and Whitefriars wouldn't want to drop games to YV or BT.

Kew have Old Geelong, SMS and Ormond with OM's in between in their next four. Win two of them and top two is safe. Ormond vs Old Geelong in a few weeks is also a pivotal match for both teams. For some reason I feel as if Ormond may be getting a player or two back in the coming weeks ;)
Don't pump Ormond too much mate

Well, well, well.

Following my suspension I took a week long trip of soul searching which allowed me to realise what the truly important things in life are (bigfooty) and how quickly they can be taken away from you. I missed you all - even you beamsy - and it's great to be back. My hopes of winning of the tipping competition were about as strong as YV making the finals this year, so don't worry too much about that bedders.

To footy matters, my previous assertions that the race for the premiership is two horsed have expanded to an 'anyone's game' scenario. Ormond need to find another gear to seperate themselves as on current strength they are right in with the other three. OGGS can match it, and SMS can take solace from narrow losses which could have gone the other way to both OGGS and Kew. At full strength and playing their best footy they can be a threat. Kew are deservedly top but are by no means unbeatable.

If you asked me to post odds for the prem I would offer roundabouts, but injuries make this an almost pointless task.

Kew 3$
Ormond $3.50
OGGS $5
SMS $11

It's a pleasure to be back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back