D1 2016 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Serious or optimistic?

How about seriously optimistic?.

NB: we did lead them by 6 goals early in the last term in round 5. Team line ups aren't dramatically different this week.

The right mindset will see us up to our necks in it for sure.

Kew by 8 points - will be one of the games of the season. Big ground will show Kew to be the real deal or just another contender - expecting them to step up but Old Geelong will be right there with them.
St Mary's Salesian by 22 points - I know Hedgey is rooting for an upset and confident too however St Mary's won't open the door here - they'll manage Friars who had a great win last week.
NOBS/St Pats by 30 points - Bulleen had a sniff to get out of the relegation zone last week and blew it. I have a feeling they will be seriously deflated and expecting NOBS/St Pats to get a bit of a percentage booster in their push for an unlikely finals berth.
Prahran Assumption by 63 points - Prahran is playing really good footy at the moment and Yarra just aren't in the same class. Prahran Assumption will finish 5th and rue many of those games earlier in the year - good on them for their resurgence.
Ormond by 35 points - Ormond too strong for the OMs who are too reliant on their best 6.

What a weekend for it!

EDIT: After looking at the SMS side, they are lacking a few of their better players... An upset could be a genuine chance.

EDIT: After looking at the SMS side, they are lacking a few of their better players... An upset could be a genuine chance.

Granted, were missing a couple (Dykes, Strangward etc) but looking at the side were fielding, injuries just isn't arent an excuse for this one. Will be very disappointed if the job doesn't get done.

Granted, were missing a couple (Dykes, Strangward etc) but looking at the side were fielding, injuries just isn't arent an excuse for this one. Will be very disappointed if the job doesn't get done.

Afternoon All,

Interesting times today in the City of Booroondara

Three weeks (2 games) ago, we played OGGs at Como and were ritually disembowelled by 22 goals. We were nothing short of awful.

Only 4 (new) players played today who weren't part of that train wreck of a match. One was a late inclusion after a Friday night hamstring assessment. After the OGs debacle I said we were cooked that day, but predicted we had enough in the tank to survive in this Division at the expense of BT (or more likely OMs).

Today we played the much vaunted St Mary's Salesian in our first ever trip to Ferndale Park. VAFA Spectator queried whether I was serious in predicting a win to the visiting team. I trust the end result of WF 23.9.147 defeating SMS 8.8.56 answers that question adequately.

The ground itself is an absolute disgrace, a junior ground at best and almost bereft of grass. #15 for SMS would have to agree with me after he tumbled the 1.75m from the boundary line into the cyclone wire fence and smashed up his forearm in the first half.

The ground was only outstripped for sheer inadequacy in local footballing terms by the team that wore the home shorts from 2pm to 4.45pm. They were insipid, threw cheap ones all day, sooked to the umpires and basically behaved like a bunch of leafy inner eastern suburban flogs with some pre-ordained sense of entitlement, who were waiting for Mum and Dad to step in and make the bad men go away. They thoroughly deserved to get arse-whipped by 91 points.

Judging by the respective efforts of OGs and SMS against us in recent times, if they meet in a 1st semi finals (not a guarantee as OGs may well grab the double chance), OGs would, based on pure mathematics, win by 230 points. Having said that, NOBSPC have an open door now, and could well play their way into finals calculations in the next couple of weeks.

The only negative to come out of today is we now know we will have to play at Ferndale Park again in 2016.

Beer is good, even when consumed the City of Booroondara

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OGGS prevailed by 13 points in a tight see-sawing affair at Como Park. A Brazzale was a late withdrawal from the Kew side, who sped out to a 3 goal lead in the 1st quarter before being pegged back by an inaccurate OGGS to lead by only 3 points at qtr time. OGGS then dominated for long periods but couldn't break Kew in the 2nd. Kew came out in the third and kicked 4-5 in a row and looked comfortable leading by about 18-20 points before OGGS got a few back through U19s player Dave Ennels late in the term to level the scores going into 3/4 time. The last saw OGGS get the first 3 goals of the quarter before they went back into their shell a bit, and if not for some good OGGS last-line-of-defence work (there was a fantastic holding the ball tackle on a Kew player running into an open goal 3m out...), Kew could have made the finish even more tense.

As it was, OGGS finished 13 points the better and now play Ormond next week in a fight for 2nd place and perhaps an early decider for the double chance. Kew take their first loss of the year, but were gallant in defeat and will happily welcome back their talisman Brazzale when he is ready.

The ground was only outstripped for sheer inadequacy in local footballing terms by the team that wore the home shorts from 2pm to 4.45pm. They were insipid, threw cheap ones all day, sooked to the umpires and basically behaved like a bunch of leafy inner eastern suburban flogs with some pre-ordained sense of entitlement, who were waiting for Mum and Dad to step in and make the bad men go away. They thoroughly deserved to get arse-whipped by 91 points.
What is it about this club and their supporters that result in so many opposition clubs indicating they are a disgrace?

Always good to see a club climb from the canvass as yours has HH.

Not to mention the mental health of their supporters.:D

What is it about this club and their supporters that result in so many opposition clubs indicating they are a disgrace?

Always good to see a club climb from the canvass as yours has HH.

Not to mention the mental health of their supporters.:D

Not sure that the supporters were that bad (after all it was one way traffic most of the day as we kicked the first six goals by halfway through the first term).

Our spies said the coaching address at qtr time was weird. One guy (assistant coach) brought them close and told them quietly to keep it together, knuckle down and grind their way back into it. Then he handed over to the senior coach who stepped forward and told them all they were pissweak, didn't respect their club, were soft mentally and were a disgrace.

Anyhow, not our problem, but they do appear to struggle to keep it together when things aren't going their way.

SMS's reputation on here is massively exaggerated. I've been a part of numerous we'll run local sporting organisations for a number of years and SMS is as good as any I've been apart of. We're not as bad as were made out to be on here.

That being said, Its no coincidence we haven't won a close game in years. When the pressures off and we play footy with freedom, we legitimately can wallop any side in this division. Unfortunately for us, those days are few and far between. Like hedgefund said, we don't cope well when the going gets tough and when sides get a run on us. We crumble under pressure way too easily and it's a mentality we desperately need to change or we will never get anywhere.

Huge week of football coming up which will shape the double chance as well as 4th spot.

Kew v SMS - 2 weeks ago SMS seemed to have 4th spot locked-up but a couple of losses and big damage to percentage mean they are now being chased by 3 teams who would think they have a realistic chance of sneaking into 4th. Coming up against Kew this week I can't see them getting over the line - Kew by 40 points.

Friars v NOB's - Huge game out at Donvale this week sees the much improved Friars take on NOB's. The Friars have strung together a couple of big wins (after a couple of 100 point losses) and are playing a very attractive brand of football at present whilst NOB's just seem to be able to win the games they have to whilst not being able to trouble the top sides. Friars at home by 24 points to keep their slim finals hopes alive.

YV v OM's - OM's had a red hot crack against Ormond on the weekend and now face the far easier prospect of YV at Doncaster. YV would be primed for a big showing this week as they are fast running out of games to chalk up their first win of the season. A win for OM's and they get some breathing space from the bottom 2 and I think they'll do so - OM's by 45 points.

BT v PA - The door is still ajar for PA to claim 4th spot and with a very good % and still to play SMS they would fancy their chances. It has to be a win this week for them but BT are no pushovers at home. If BT lose this week they are as good as relegated as they face the top 3 teams in the following 3 rounds before playing YV in Rd 18. BT to keep their 2016 D1 hopes alive by 8 points.

Ormond v OG - The Oggers have been moving along in the slipstream of Ormond and Kew all season. I've watched them first hand a couple of times and they are the complete package IMO. Ormond will be primed for a big game at home and will need to be at their best this week. Oggers by 16 points and to finish top 2 at the end of the home and away season.

SMS's reputation on here is massively exaggerated. I've been a part of numerous we'll run local sporting organisations for a number of years and SMS is as good as any I've been apart of. We're not as bad as were made out to be on here.

That being said, Its no coincidence we haven't won a close game in years. When the pressures off and we play footy with freedom, we legitimately can wallop any side in this division. Unfortunately for us, those days are few and far between. Like hedgefund said, we don't cope well when the going gets tough and when sides get a run on us. We crumble under pressure way too easily and it's a mentality we desperately need to change or we will never get anywhere.

Agree with Bob Billington here. We played against St Marys 4 times last year - including the D2 GF, and we had a great game against them at Ferndale earlier this season. They've got a lot of good people at the club n they play a great brand of footy that always makes for a tough encounter against Kew.

HedgeFund, Friars get a big win and you make a shithouse post like that. Lift

Agree with Bob Billington here. We played against St Marys 4 times last year - including the D2 GF, and we had a great game against them at Ferndale earlier this season. They've got a lot of good people at the club n they play a great brand of footy that always makes for a tough encounter against Kew.

HedgeFund, Friars get a big win and you make a shithouse post like that. Lift

I'm only calling it as I saw it on Saturday Richo! - pure and simple. They dirtied up big time as they were under the pump and went to water.

Didn't say they were bad people, just sore losers.

Huge week of football coming up which will shape the double chance as well as 4th spot.

Kew v SMS - 2 weeks ago SMS seemed to have 4th spot locked-up but a couple of losses and big damage to percentage mean they are now being chased by 3 teams who would think they have a realistic chance of sneaking into 4th. Coming up against Kew this week I can't see them getting over the line - Kew by 40 points.

Friars v NOB's - Huge game out at Donvale this week sees the much improved Friars take on NOB's. The Friars have strung together a couple of big wins (after a couple of 100 point losses) and are playing a very attractive brand of football at present whilst NOB's just seem to be able to win the games they have to whilst not being able to trouble the top sides. Friars at home by 24 points to keep their slim finals hopes alive.

YV v OM's - OM's had a red hot crack against Ormond on the weekend and now face the far easier prospect of YV at Doncaster. YV would be primed for a big showing this week as they are fast running out of games to chalk up their first win of the season. A win for OM's and they get some breathing space from the bottom 2 and I think they'll do so - OM's by 45 points.

BT v PA - The door is still ajar for PA to claim 4th spot and with a very good % and still to play SMS they would fancy their chances. It has to be a win this week for them but BT are no pushovers at home. If BT lose this week they are as good as relegated as they face the top 3 teams in the following 3 rounds before playing YV in Rd 18. BT to keep their 2016 D1 hopes alive by 8 points.

Ormond v OG - The Oggers have been moving along in the slipstream of Ormond and Kew all season. I've watched them first hand a couple of times and they are the complete package IMO. Ormond will be primed for a big game at home and will need to be at their best this week. Oggers by 16 points and to finish top 2 at the end of the home and away season.
Good pre round summary.
Winner of OGGS and Ormond will finish top 2.
OGGS in my opinion are starting to click their gears in motion and will win a ripper in the match of the round.
Last time they met, OGGS were better at clearances but were wasteful infront of goal.
Ormond, when they play direct footy are hard to stop but can overuse it coming out of defence.
Both teams have plenty of fire power up front.
Hopefully the weather God is kind and we see a finals like contest.

I'm only calling it as I saw it on Saturday Richo! - pure and simple. They dirtied up big time as they were under the pump and went to water.

Didn't say they were bad people, just sore losers.
You are spot on Hedge, they have some very good people at the club, but a few let them down like mummy's boy and that Raj idiot

You are spot on Hedge, they have some very good people at the club, but a few let them down like mummy's boy and that Raj idiot
Agree Bedford/Hedge, I've met some great people from SMS and every club for that matter.

If the guy you are referring to is #28 Rajkumar then he is a right royal goose. Has a big mouth but lacks the skill or restraint required - ended up being dragged and benched for the remainder of the game in the last quarter after spending the bulk of the day standing on the mark, falling over or impersonating a witches hat.

I think if NOBS win on Sat they will cruise into 4th by end of H & A.
Can see them finishing 10-8
That kills off WF and Prahran.
STMS have a hard run home. 9-9 at best. They will be hoping WF maintain the rage on Saturday against NOBS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back