Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My tips
  • NOBS by 36 points
  • Yarra by 25 points- St Marys to struggle in D1
  • Mentone by 50 points- They will push the top 4 this year
  • Geelong by 60 points- Will be good
  • Ormond by 80+ points- They are premiership favourites and Whitefriars to finish bottom so very one sided

Lots of water to flow under the bridge, but it's pretty obvious that B-Temp, Friars and Yarra all face the same problem being surrounded by $$$ clubs keen to lure our best graduates away from this competition.

If only to live in a suburb (Kew/Glen Iris) not surrounded by a high quality money driven league!

Lots of water to flow under the bridge, but it's pretty obvious that B-Temp, Friars and Yarra all face the same problem being surrounded by $$$ clubs keen to lure our best graduates away from this competition.

If only to live in a suburb (Kew/Glen Iris) not surrounded by a high quality money driven league!
C'mon buddy! Not any worse than the Monders. Not only do they have to compete with cashed-up SFL and EFL clubs they are also surrounded by Premier and Premier B clubs who aren't averse to knocking off players. Throw-in no school they can rely on for recruits.

Kew have Balwyn 3 km up the road who are spending more than anyone!!!!

Where do you gain confidence from a 210 point loss?

SMS did not lose to Mazenod by 210 points, they were 3 goals up at half time and lost by around 10 goals in the end. I believe there may have been some younger blokes thrown in the thick of it in the second half.
Not sure where the 210 points came from? Stevie Wonder?
SMS will cause a few upsets this year but wouldnt expect them to quite make finals. Surely Kew beating OG puts them as a genuine premiership contender?

C'mon buddy! Not any worse than the Monders. Not only do they have to compete with cashed-up SFL and EFL clubs they are also surrounded by Premier and Premier B clubs who aren't averse to knocking off players. Throw-in no school they can rely on for recruits.

Valid arguments on both sides here, Kew/Glen lris is the absolute epicentre of private schools so doubt being based in these suburbs would be an advantage. But in support of the Whitefriars poster anyone who follows ACC sport would know that Whitefriars have been very strong in school football for many years now. However most of these kids remain at their junior clubs who all have senior affiliates in the EFL. Their student catchment is deep in EFL territory.

There are only 2 ACC school based teams in Premier (St Bernards and De La) and one in B grade (St Bedes). St Bernard and St Bedes have the benefit of strong junior programs whereas De La’s history of being a top grade club in seniors and U19s has probably sustained them. (To be honest I fear Premier section will become more and more a grade for elite APS schools and prestigious Universities buts that another story).

Ormond do at least have the advantage of an established junior program. While they lose a few to the SFL or private schools they have always been a well-run club and hang on to most. To the Kew poster – I take your point but with respect Balwyn unlikely to pick off blokes paying D1. They spend their money on the top liners – ex AFL or VFL or VAFA players such as Goss and Waller who moved across this year.

Valid arguments on both sides here, Kew/Glen lris is the absolute epicentre of private schools so doubt being based in these suburbs would be an advantage. But in support of the Whitefriars poster anyone who follows ACC sport would know that Whitefriars have been very strong in school football for many years now. However most of these kids remain at their junior clubs who all have senior affiliates in the EFL. Their student catchment is deep in EFL territory.

There are only 2 ACC school based teams in Premier (St Bernards and De La) and one in B grade (St Bedes). St Bernard and St Bedes have the benefit of strong junior programs whereas De La’s history of being a top grade club in seniors and U19s has probably sustained them. (To be honest I fear Premier section will become more and more a grade for elite APS schools and prestigious Universities buts that another story).

Ormond do at least have the advantage of an established junior program. While they lose a few to the SFL or private schools they have always been a well-run club and hang on to most. To the Kew poster – I take your point but with respect Balwyn unlikely to pick off blokes paying D1. They spend their money on the top liners – ex AFL or VFL or VAFA players such as Goss and Waller who moved across this year.

You're forgetting Mazenod. Not defending that notion but it's always tough to compete for ACC schools with midweek sport as players are playing for local clubs on the Sunday and when those clubs are throwing $$$$ around with some of their closest mates playing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're forgetting Mazenod. Not defending that notion but it's always tough to compete for ACC schools with midweek sport as players are playing for local clubs on the Sunday and when those clubs are throwing $$$$ around with some of their closest mates playing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apologies for not including Mazenod. A really good club and a great effort on their part to reach the upper echelons of the VAFA, as they are not a recognised football power in ACC sport and have plenty of EFL clubs nearby.

And the point about midweek sport allowing them to become entrenched with their local clubs is very well made. Not saying this is necessarily a bad thing; just that it does make it harder to entice them over as U19s. De La has been lucky in that 2 of their 3 main juniors feeders don’t have seniors and the other is aligned with an SFL club. Seems most not interested into going to that competition so our U19s and by extension our seniors have remained competitive at the top levels of the competition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mostly correct but surrounding clubs like Balwyn have tried to pick off Kew boys in the last 2 years. Tried to recruit Andrew Brazzle for 2014 but he stayed at Kew

St Mary's lost Nick Curwood (De La Salle), Nick Latsas (Old Camberwell) and Braedon McLean (St. Kevins). McLean was third in their B&F last year and Latsas came 4th in the Div 2 count, so no club is immune to losing good players to clubs in higher divisions or other comps.

St Mary's lost Nick Curwood (De La Salle), Nick Latsas (Old Camberwell) and Braedon McLean (St. Kevins). McLean was third in their B&F last year and Latsas came 4th in the Div 2 count, so no club is immune to losing good players to clubs in higher divisions or other comps.

Yep fair call. Can’t speak for the others but Curwood is a De La boy who simply wanted to test himself at a higher level. I would suggest that young blokes wanting to play in a higher grade is not uncommon but take your point. Does go both ways though. St Kevin’s had very high hopes for Dolan who from memory made his senior debut as 18 year old and kicked bags of goals in Premier 19s last year. Much to the SKOBs disappointment he decided to follow some mates to SMS this year.

Point taken but the number of BT juniors, and Yarra/Friars school kids who never play VAFA footy is getting higher by the year due to the stupid money floating around in the EFL and NFL.

In addition to that, from 2014, we have lost stacks of players including multiple leading goal kickers (Woods and Daou), former comp B&F (Abdallah), two time B&F (Mattinson), four time B&F and comp B&F (Stafford), former u23 state Rep (Chivers) plus all the Donvale players who returned to the EFL to get paid to play Div 4 footy. Last years B&F was amongst them plus three others who finished top 10 for us.

I know this looks a lot like a whinge but it's bloody hard to compete when clubs can lure players away for money and you have no viable means of keeping then at your club.

End rant.

You just have to hope there are enough good young players who are happy to play for the love of the game. I know of EFL Div 2,3 & 4 boys playing for $50-$100 per game. It's peanuts when you think about it. Rooster is right about Curwood being an old De La boy. I have seen him play since colts at Ashy and I'm not sure as a ruckman he is big enough for that level, or versatile enough around the ground, but I hope he gets a good run there and does well.

The boys I know who shun the EFL clubs and the "big" dollars are at amo clubs for the club culture. That's the one element you can control and keep good talent with. It's the reason a guy like Josh Tanner went to SMS and stayed to play out his career.

Point taken but the number of BT juniors, and Yarra/Friars school kids who never play VAFA footy is getting higher by the year due to the stupid money floating around in the EFL and NFL.

In addition to that, from 2014, we have lost stacks of players including multiple leading goal kickers (Woods and Daou), former comp B&F (Abdallah), two time B&F (Mattinson), four time B&F and comp B&F (Stafford), former u23 state Rep (Chivers) plus all the Donvale players who returned to the EFL to get paid to play Div 4 footy. Last years B&F was amongst them plus three others who finished top 10 for us.

I know this looks a lot like a whinge but it's bloody hard to compete when clubs can lure players away for money and you have no viable means of keeping then at your club.

End rant.
We could all name players lost to other clubs and or comps HF. It's an ongoing issue. You are no worse off than most. And unlike district clubs you have a feeder through your school.

We could all name players lost to other clubs and or comps HF. It's an ongoing issue. You are no worse off than most. And unlike district clubs you have a feeder through your school.
We have a feeder school - yes. District clubs have juniors that feed into the senior club - yes.

The fact is our ACC season is held over 8 weeks whilst junior footy runs for 4 months.

It's a lot easier to develop a culture of playing with your mates when you do it on the weekend for 4 months, instead of Wednesday afternoons for 8 weeks.

Just ask the Aquinas boys how hard it is to convince ACC football players to graduate to VAFA u19 then Division footy where in recent years we get the privilege of travelling to Williamstown, Keysborough, Mt Eliza, Werribee, Sunbury, etc. So many of the kids in years below me have preferred to play local EFL footy where the longest trip is 10kms away.

On any objective analysis, there would have to be a massive gulf in culture to deter most players from playing locally nowadays.

We have a feeder school - yes. District clubs have juniors that feed into the senior club - yes.

The fact is our ACC season is held over 8 weeks whilst junior footy runs for 4 months.

It's a lot easier to develop a culture of playing with your mates when you do it on the weekend for 4 months, instead of Wednesday afternoons for 8 weeks.

Just ask the Aquinas boys how hard it is to convince ACC football players to graduate to VAFA u19 then Division footy where in recent years we get the privilege of travelling to Williamstown, Keysborough, Mt Eliza, Werribee, Sunbury, etc. So many of the kids in years below me have preferred to play local EFL footy where the longest trip is 10kms away.

On any objective analysis, there would have to be a massive gulf in culture to deter most players from playing locally nowadays.
There was a time when the Monders garnered players from many sources. Locals, sons of former players, mates bringing mates, even private schools. Had a swag of former DeLa students at one stage. Way different nowadays as the private schools have got their act together, father sons not nearly as prevalent and the attraction of dollars way more enticing. So I think your last para is a tad simplistic.

Anyway, recruiting and holding players 'for the love of the game' has never been harder in my view.

There was a time when the Monders garnered players from many sources. Locals, sons of former players, mates bringing mates, even private schools. Had a swag of former DeLa students at one stage. Way different nowadays as the private schools have got their act together, father sons not nearly as prevalent and the attraction of dollars way more enticing. So I think your last para is a tad simplistic.

Anyway, recruiting and holding players 'for the love of the game' has never been harder in my view.

Absolutely agree with that last line. Has never been tougher andwill keep gettign harder.

Demonstrates why St Bernards are so strong at the moment. They have a strong feeder school plus a feeder junior club. I am told that kids are still missing a game in their U19s despite them having 3 teams. A large number of kids in the 19s never went to St Bernards and the strength of their unders program is being partly blamed for the demise of the PEGS U19s.

Credit to them I suppose but not sure 1 club with 3 teams and kids still missing out is necessarily a good thing if another VAFA club just down the road cant get 1 team together.

The main reason Banyule left the VAFA was due to the fact that our young kids were being taken from our under 17s to neighbouring clubs. They didn't want to travel to peninsula, tarneit, Williamstown, etc
Our club has had a complete transformation with 33 under 19s to pick from on the weekend and not one under 19 leaving to go to another club.
We are not paying huge money, however, each player who plays seniors will get a small amount - eg $50 - $70.
We had 700 at our first home game on Saturday and had at least 150 from the junior club.
It took 2 years of hard work from the committee to make the move but I believe it has been the best decision in relation to the community and retention of our juniors.
I know Bulleen Temp have thought about moving, the Ammos is becoming a predominately southern suburbs comp and I believe that in the long term district sides are in trouble as there are too many variables that are available to our youth - proximatey, money, etc

Uglydermie, how are BT coping in recent years? Numbers? Can you see getting back to the lofty heights of decades past?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back