D1 2016 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are. I've coached junior teams there and played against the real Prahran and always used rooms under the stand. It would be interesting to know what happens in Premier

Think we have been down this road before. Premier teams use that glorified shed on the far side just like everyone else. I’m pretty that what was once the visitors rooms under the grandstand have been converted into social rooms and/or storage. Having 4 tenant clubs at TP there would be a lot of gear to be stored. There might be cricket change rooms under the grandstand but I assume they cater for 11 cricketers, not 22 footballers across multiple games, the cross over between seniors and reserves plus all the associated gear such as rub down tables etc.

On another note – bit rich having a go at clubs about their ground and facilities. Anyone at the coal face in club land would understand that we are allocated grounds by council and have very little influence on what gets served up. I have not seen Kew’s ground since the 80s so cannot comment on the condition of the playing surface but would assume like many clubs they have juniors playing on it every Sunday and training most nights of the week.

Last edited:
I never mentioned the playing surface, that was ok considering the wet winter.
The social rooms at TP are separate to the changerooms and juniors use the visitors rooms under the grandstand.

Not having a crack at your Bedders. You would know more than most the challenges confronting clubs when trying to deal with councils. However I’m not sure others do.

Do the visitor’s rooms under the TP grandstand still exist? If they are the same ones used by the cricketers you would not fit a football team in there.

Fair post Workhorse, I wasn't referring to the ground as we have had shit weather and I didn't mention the bluestone. Having said that the kid that broke his leg on it was on the comeback trail from a host of major injuries and its not the clubs fault at all, but it is dangerous. With the rooms, why build a facility that doesn't cater for opposition teams and that's once again a council issue. Prahran's away rooms are probably a bigger issue as they have plenty of room under the grandstand.
Back to the footy it was a bruising first half with the ball carriers on both sides under pressure and I thought Ormond might crack as our forwards were well down and only kicked 1 goal for the game. Kew also looked to have a few young fellas in the team as well and look to have a good future and will go up to C.
I was about to have a crack at you and the Ormond brigade in regard to your reaction to Kew's facilities etc, however to be fair to you, this post shows a lot of understanding and humility. Was a really tough contest both for the players and the spectators alike at Victoria Park. Game was broken open in the last ten minutes when Ormond showed their ability to break away, piling on a bunch of goals. I am not sure what to take from it, but with Bulleen's win over Old Geelong, it is looking like almost a sure thing that the two will face each other again in 3 weeks.

The bluestone is a disaster waiting to happen, but the Boorondara Council are at best, difficult to work with. The rooms too are specifically for the cricket club who unfortunately basically run the show in regard to what grass, what type of rooms and so on and so forth. They too, are not easy to work with! You see the pattern. We've all been through similar issues down in the Divisions, I'm sure!

On the arrogance matter that someone raised, let's keep it in perspective (no, this is not an invitation for SFL flogs to join the chat ;)) that all VAFA clubs have their supporters who go over the top and exude something of a fierce confidence, perhaps arrogance, but really, in the end as long as it is kept in check and in the spirit of good natured back and forth, I don't bloody mind it. As workhorse mentioned, Kew is well and truly aware that there is a lot of work still to be done to keep ourselves competitive and more importantly, challenge, if we are so fortunate as to get into the Premier Sections. We are proud of our club and the improvements we've made. The club was in serious financial trouble and looked to have lost all pull with players in late 2000s, but things have changed, and we want to keep it that way. If that is classified as arrogance by some, fair enough, but hey, Ormond would know as well as anyone that it is better to be respected than be a well-liked pushover.

Ormond are a very good side, and the well deserved favourites for the flag. Good back line (20 particularly good by foot), solid midfield (26, 21, 13 etc) and X-factor (25 is exciting to watch). The qualifying final between Ormond and Kew or Old Geelong will be a corker. The Bulleen result is fantastic for them as well. Kristian Cherbakof is a wonderful player, on par with any forward in the competition, including Brazzale, Chisholm and Wood. I don't think they'll survive the drop in ladder position, however I'm sure someone will limp off to another competition in the coming months.

The away rooms at Prahran are disgusting. Do A grade teams have to put up with it in there or is it only a D1 thing? I believe the away cricket change rooms are under the grandstand.
Not sure why the the Two Blues use those remote change rooms for visitors and not those under the stand. Believe Xavs use the visitors area for functions for some home games since being turfed from those upstairs and that is at least one reason for them not being available for Prem A games.

I was about to have a crack at you and the Ormond brigade in regard to your reaction to Kew's facilities etc, however to be fair to you, this post shows a lot of understanding and humility. Was a really tough contest both for the players and the spectators alike at Victoria Park. Game was broken open in the last ten minutes when Ormond showed their ability to break away, piling on a bunch of goals. I am not sure what to take from it, but with Bulleen's win over Old Geelong, it is looking like almost a sure thing that the two will face each other again in 3 weeks.

The bluestone is a disaster waiting to happen, but the Boorondara Council are at best, difficult to work with. The rooms too are specifically for the cricket club who unfortunately basically run the show in regard to what grass, what type of rooms and so on and so forth. They too, are not easy to work with! You see the pattern. We've all been through similar issues down in the Divisions, I'm sure!

On the arrogance matter that someone raised, let's keep it in perspective (no, this is not an invitation for SFL flogs to join the chat ;)) that all VAFA clubs have their supporters who go over the top and exude something of a fierce confidence, perhaps arrogance, but really, in the end as long as it is kept in check and in the spirit of good natured back and forth, I don't bloody mind it. As workhorse mentioned, Kew is well and truly aware that there is a lot of work still to be done to keep ourselves competitive and more importantly, challenge, if we are so fortunate as to get into the Premier Sections. We are proud of our club and the improvements we've made. The club was in serious financial trouble and looked to have lost all pull with players in late 2000s, but things have changed, and we want to keep it that way. If that is classified as arrogance by some, fair enough, but hey, Ormond would know as well as anyone that it is better to be respected than be a well-liked pushover.

Ormond are a very good side, and the well deserved favourites for the flag. Good back line (20 particularly good by foot), solid midfield (26, 21, 13 etc) and X-factor (25 is exciting to watch). The qualifying final between Ormond and Kew or Old Geelong will be a corker. The Bulleen result is fantastic for them as well. Kristian Cherbakof is a wonderful player, on par with any forward in the competition, including Brazzale, Chisholm and Wood. I don't think they'll survive the drop in ladder position, however I'm sure someone will limp off to another competition in the coming months.

Good post let the boys play. I'm guessing Beezas involvement with so many levels of footy has helped bring players down.
BT have Yarra in round 18, so to stay up the are relying on Hedgys mob to knock over OM's away next week. Looked a sure thing a week back, but perhaps now the stuffing will be all out of the Friar bag?

Really good post from you. As we all know the councils we work under run the show. For the 3 rd straight year we haven't been allowed access to our ground until the week before the first game. They make it extremely difficult to organise practice games & at times appear to lose sight as to what it's all about. Personally I didn't find the Kew supporters to be overly arrogant yesterday. I can understand that they might have had some arrogance going into the game based on the result the first time the 2 sides met. It was an extremely tough & physical game & both sides competed in the right spirit. That's the way it should be when the 2 top sides play against each other. The vafa also needs to be congratulated (I won't say that often) that they appointed 2 A grade umpires for the clash. They both umpires the game fairly & well. With regards to the bluestones, as I have said previously, that component is a disaster waiting to happen. Yes, we had a ressies player break his leg yesterday which is extremely disappointing, but worse consequences are imminent at some stage. Imagine going head first into the stones. That could literally kill somebody. Enough said on that. Kew have obviously made huge inroads in the last few years & I congratulate them on doing so. We all know that district clubs such as Kew & Ormond always face an uphill battle to keep their homegrown players away from the private schools. Hopefully both sides will make the jump to C grade next year & continue the short lived rivalry.

After playing Kew last year I don't think that their rooms are that bad. Can't remember the showers but plenty of room to get changed and a spare ground to get warmed up on. It was one of the better D2 surfaces we played on. Last time I checked we weren't playing afl. Our ground has the potential to be the the MCG but also a bog heap. There's much higher leagues and standard of team that pay a lot of dosh to play on grounds and facilities that are well below what you get to play on each week. Take the good with the bad, and pray when you have a shower at Prahran that you don't drop the soap ....

Really good post from you. As we all know the councils we work under run the show. For the 3 rd straight year we haven't been allowed access to our ground until the week before the first game. They make it extremely difficult to organise practice games & at times appear to lose sight as to what it's all about. Personally I didn't find the Kew supporters to be overly arrogant yesterday. I can understand that they might have had some arrogance going into the game based on the result the first time the 2 sides met. It was an extremely tough & physical game & both sides competed in the right spirit. That's the way it should be when the 2 top sides play against each other. The vafa also needs to be congratulated (I won't say that often) that they appointed 2 A grade umpires for the clash. They both umpires the game fairly & well. With regards to the bluestones, as I have said previously, that component is a disaster waiting to happen. Yes, we had a ressies player break his leg yesterday which is extremely disappointing, but worse consequences are imminent at some stage. Imagine going head first into the stones. That could literally kill somebody. Enough said on that. Kew have obviously made huge inroads in the last few years & I congratulate them on doing so. We all know that district clubs such as Kew & Ormond always face an uphill battle to keep their homegrown players away from the private schools. Hopefully both sides will make the jump to C grade next year & continue the short lived rivalry.
Agree wholeheartedly with your comment about Glen Eira Council. Reckon they generally treat the football club shabbily. The only significant work done on the facilities in ages was the provision of a lift which was forced on the Council. They've spent big buckets on the facilities at Princes Park, Duncan MacKinnon, Caulfield Park, Glenhuntly Park, Packer Reserve to name a few. Some more than once. Yet the ground that arguably gets more use than any other gets SFA.

Okay ladies, let's get back to the footy. I think we are fairly lucky with the facilities and ground conditions we have on offer (it's local footy after all).
OMs have been in D1 for as long as I can recall, anyone know the exact number of years? Their survival is looking shaky at the moment with BT facing YV in the last round.
Cherbakof is the best forward in D1 by that far it isn't funny. Watching every week, he gets the opponents best defender week in week out, not to mention getting double and triple teamed. Plus BT aren't renowned for their disposal efficiency, so he isn't getting the service some of these Ormond forwards get with their midfielders putting it on a silver platter for them. Boy can he take a CAPPPPPPPPAAAAA as well! Bloke kicks bags like no one else.

Good post let the boys play. I'm guessing Beezas involvement with so many levels of footy has helped bring players down.
BT have Yarra in round 18, so to stay up the are relying on Hedgys mob to knock over OM's away next week. Looked a sure thing a week back, but perhaps now the stuffing will be all out of the Friar bag?

Travelling to Turner Rd is never easy, particularly with the home side having everything to play for this weekend. They are a 6-8 goal better team there than away. Good thing we beat them last time by 70 points.

Don't REALLY want to do BTemp any favours, but we will go down to Cheltenham looking to get back on the winners list. We think a strong finish to the season is really important for our club's 2016 campaign under our recently reappointed senior coach Dick Baker.

If that means a win to us is a kick in the guts for OMs, so be it.

Last edited:
OMs have been in D1 for as long as I can recall, anyone know the exact number of years?

This is the 13th Year

New VAFA web site gives all that info under clubs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Okay ladies, let's get back to the footy. I think we are fairly lucky with the facilities and ground conditions we have on offer (it's local footy after all).
OMs have been in D1 for as long as I can recall, anyone know the exact number of years? Their survival is looking shaky at the moment with BT facing YV in the last round.
Cherbakof is the best forward in D1 by that far it isn't funny. Watching every week, he gets the opponents best defender week in week out, not to mention getting double and triple teamed. Plus BT aren't renowned for their disposal efficiency, so he isn't getting the service some of these Ormond forwards get with their midfielders putting it on a silver platter for them. Boy can he take a CAPPPPPPPPAAAAA as well! Bloke kicks bags like no one else.
Gets my vote for team of the year!

I don't think the gap in individual talent is that big, more the talent that surrounds them. Look at BT with Cherbakov in it compared to without him. Put him in a better team and he is an 80 goals a season full forward. He hasn't played a full season since 2012 so I don't think we have yet seen the best of him yet
Like I said back then, give him a full season and he is as dangerous as Braz. Problem is he can't put in a full season for some reason. I would have them both in my team of the year.

They were so good, they weren't noticed.
Beamsy I don't know whether you saw the reserves as it was similar to the 1sts with Kew pulling away in the last Q.
Like I said back then, give him a full season and he is as dangerous as Braz. Problem is he can't put in a full season for some reason. I would have them both in my team of the year.
Easy, both of them plus Martinov at CHF. Hopefully when our D1 scribe picks his team he will know the Christian names of players.

Old Geelong - Should take care of a shot NOBS easily
Ormond - Lookout Yarra
St Mary’s Salesian - 50-50 game, SMS just
Old Mentonians - OM's to save their season
Kew - BT to put up a good fight but Kew will run over the top

OGGS to defeat a weary NOBs.
Ormond to wipe the smile of YVs face from last week.
PA to finish strong after a slow start to the year (costly).
OM to take care of business with survival on the line.
BT to get over the line against a young Kew side who might just be coasting to the end of the season prepping for bigger things.

ROUND 17

Old Geelong. Let's just get to the finals.
Ormond. Won't drop this one.
Prahran Assumption. Too little too late. SMS can't make third can't loose forth.
Friars.
Kew.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back