List Mgmt. 2016 Hypothetical draft, trade and free agency thread

what to do with Pick 10?

• continue trying to trade with GCS for JOM?

Votes: 26 66.7%
  • draft a youngster

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Rockliff

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Hartlett

Votes: 2 5.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only problem with this is there are still many picks between Essendon and us in the preseason draft.

I have another theory, with so many players yet to sign and looking like we will free up about $400k (guess) with Sammy going, could we offer a massive front ended contract to JOM north of a million to price everyone else out of the market and call GC's bluff? Surely no one will pay over a $1mil to someone who doesn't want to play for them. Then if/when he gets to us we extend the contract by another 3yrs for 1.4mil, therefore it's 4yrs at 2.4mil over all, or in that ball park.

Or am I dreaming??
Would actually be the best result for us "IF " it comes off.

Only problem with this is there are still many picks between Essendon and us in the preseason draft.

I have another theory, with so many players yet to sign and looking like we will free up about $400k (guess) with Sammy going, could we offer a massive front ended contract to JOM north of a million to price everyone else out of the market and call GC's bluff? Surely no one will pay over a $1mil to someone who doesn't want to play for them. Then if/when he gets to us we extend the contract by another 3yrs for 1.4mil, therefore it's 4yrs at 2.4mil over all, or in that ball park.

Or am I dreaming??
Exactly!! Why not make it 1.5 million while we're at it.
Teach that GC flog for running his mouth off!!

The game was different back then mate, it's a running, fast paced game now.

throw in running/fast paced and contested kamikaze style....all in one happening at the one time..Hawks game is completely different...we won it three years in a row with one style...the Bulldogs have come along and won it with another style..whether it holds up of your hunted..we'll see.

throw in running/fast paced and contested kamikaze style....all in one happening at the one time..Hawks game is completely different...we won it three years in a row with one style...the Bulldogs have come along and won it with another style..whether it holds up of your hunted..we'll see.

Good call, we should be thankful that both of these styles are so successful though - the Hawks attacking high scoring brand was nice to watch and the Bullies have been so good to watch for the casual viewer too. We all know what the other option is (Freo, Sydney) and let's be happy that more often than not the positive style is effective.

Hawks give: Hill, Litherland, Mitchell, 2017 1st
Get: Omera, WCE 4th

Freo Give: 23, 4th Round
Get: Hill

West Coast Give: 12, 4th
Get: Litherland, Mitchell & 23

Brisbane Give: Hanley
Get: 12, Freo 4th

Suns Get: Hanley, 2017 First
Give: Omera

That's way convoluted but looks pretty fair... To me.

Ouch to us. We could buy half of North Melbourne with that currency...

What should we do with WCE 4th, try to snare Zac Dawson away from the purples?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whilst I'm really pissed off at what we'll get for Mitchell, Chris the Pelican made a somewhat reasonable point. He thinks it's purely a list management decision, compared to freeing cap space or doing what's best for Mitchell. He said we couldn't have all of S.Mitchell, J.Lewis and T.Mitchell in the same team playing the same role, so trading Sammy will give Tom the opportunity to play the role we want him to. It's about playing Tom consistently and not having him around to just 'share' that role. Sammy had more 'reason' to be moved on than anyone else (coaching, settling the family etc).

Pelican went as far as saying that the Hawks are actually winners if this trade goes ahead. Both he and Lake agreed we will not get much back, a pick in the 50s or 60s. But their consensus is that we WIN.

I can't yet see it that we'll win from this trade, but it puts it all in a bit of perspective.

Edit: Both Lake and Pelican also agreed that we will be out of the premiership race for next year, mainly because we will ship off Sammy, and because it'll take TOM, JOM and Vickery time to get used to playing our way.

Yeah agreed out of the Premiership race for 2017 and no guarantee to be back in it for some time.

Ouch to us. We could buy half of North Melbourne with that currency...

What should we do with WCE 4th, try to snare Zac Dawson away from the purples?

Sometimes you just have to pay overs. Let's be honest we're not likley to get more than a token pick for Sam. (Which hurts but is the 4th perhaps the 3rd does it)the rest for Omera is very fair.

Why would the Eagles want Litherland? Sure he is talented but not really a player we require. If we trade out 12 it will be for a midfielder straight up.

Hill gone for pick 23.

Essentially Hill for Mayne considering its the Mayne compo pick.

Hawks take unders again but get the deal done...... again.

Time to grow up GC. Yes JOM could be a gun, but he hasn't played for 2 years and is a pretty big risk. Time to be realistic FFS.
I liked the "thanks to the Sydney football club for being professional" comment by Wright yesterday

Bullshit we did just fine with with Lewis Mitchell and sewell.

The way I understand it it is list management as well. Not from a salary cap perspective, or too many people playing a specific role (Sam can play multiple roles).

Rather, If you bring in 2 first 22 players then 2 of your younger emerging players (e.g. Howe, Burton) don't get an opportunity to play. That stunts their development and gives them a reason to leave (see GWS). This trade is a play to free up our best 22 to allow for natural growth.

Just a thought I had after checking up, ah Chee from port wants to go to Gold Coast and they said they would take him if there's room, so we could send pick out second round pick to port for ah Chee then send him and pick 23 (hill trade) to Gold Coast for jom? We would get our man and ah Chee gets over to his brother and Gold Coast get their "ready" made player and a sweetener in pick 23

Just a thought I had after checking up, ah Chee from port wants to go to Gold Coast and they said they would take him if there's room, so we could send pick out second round pick to port for ah Chee then send him and pick 23 (hill trade) to Gold Coast for jom? We would get our man and ah Chee gets over to his brother and Gold Coast get their "ready" made player and a sweetener in pick 23
You cannot on-trade players, only picks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back