Hot Topic 2016 Leadership Group - Murphy retains Captaincy

Which 5 players will form our Leadership Group?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Gibbs (c)
Murphy (vc)
Jamison
Tuohy
Docherty

Sorry Gibbs doesn't strike me as a leader of men type (not many are tbh, so I'm trying not to knock him)

If we were going to make a new captain (which we won't at least for 2016), Tuohy is our guy till Cripps is ready in 2/3 years time, we need a leader who won't mollycoddle the young blokes, someone who also can try take on the responsibility of instilling morale and encouragement in the lads, when the chips are down.

I actually think Tex Walker should have been AA Captain last year (but the D/Hs named sooky Jack instead of him on the team FFS), people say he is bit of an undisciplined layabout larrikin, but look how grew as a person and a leader, especially after the biggest football tragedy in our lifetime, I've been critical of 2E as a player at times, but I genuinely think he would be a surprisingly great captain, like Texaco.

It's been a while since we've had a captain who is bit of a character ...

Also I refuse to subscribe to the common theory that the best player (or top two or three at the club) should be captain

Sorry Gibbs doesn't strike me as a leader of men type (not many are tbh, so I'm trying not to knock him)

If we were going to make a new captain (which we won't at least for 2016), Tuohy is our guy till Cripps is ready in 2/3 years time, we need a leader who won't mollycoddle the young blokes, someone who also can try take on the responsibility of instilling morale and encouragement in the lads, when the chips are down.

I actually think Tex Walker should have been AA Captain last year (but the D/Hs named sooky Jack instead of him on the team FFS), people say he is bit of an undisciplined layabout larrikin, but look how grew as a person and a leader, especially after the biggest football tragedy in our lifetime, I've been critical of 2E as a player at times, but I genuinely think he would be a surprisingly great captain, like Texaco.

It's been a while since we've had a captain who is bit of a character ...

Also I refuse to subscribe to the common theory that the best player (or top two or three at the club) should be captain

Loving the new Avatar Da Villa!! :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

I have secured my tickets to go and see The Game in February at the Forum....cannot ******* wait!!!!!

You seen Straight Outta Compton ? Absolute criminal no one of the leads was nominated for an Oscar, hands down the best movie of 2015 (and i watch a lot of movies)

You seen Straight Outta Compton ? Absolute criminal no one of the leads was nominated for an Oscar, hands down the best movie of 2015 (and i watch a lot of movies)

Yeah it was a great film from the greatest rap crew of all time. Hundred Miles and Running is in my top 2 rap tracks, shadowed by Hit Em Up!!

So in the team photos I saw, it seemed to be Bolts in the middle with Murphy and Gibbs either side, Simpson and Docherty next on Murph's side and Walker and Thomas next on Gibbs' side. Is that our leadership group?

I know people may disagree with Walker and perhaps Thomas but when I saw them in Qld, they were the loudest/most encouraging of the whole group.

So in the team photos I saw, it seemed to be Bolts in the middle with Murphy and Gibbs either side, Simpson and Docherty next on Murph's side and Walker and Thomas next on Gibbs' side. Is that our leadership group?

I know people may disagree with Walker and perhaps Thomas but when I saw them in Qld, they were the loudest/most encouraging of the whole group.

So you're saying when I was seated in the middle of the front row every year at school (holding up the class sign), it was an acknowledgement of my leadership skills, and NOT because I'm a shortass?

So you're saying when I was seated in the middle of the front row every year at school (holding up the class sign), it was an acknowledgement of my leadership skills, and NOT because I'm a shortass?

They were in the seated front row. The non-leader shortarses were sitting on the floor in front.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually having second thoughts. Personally, I think that a 5-man leadership group is not enough.
The leadership group we had last year was horrible.

Gibbs did not really set examples on the field and was getting injured.
Jamison was out for quit a while, and was not there to support.
Rowe was inconsistent and does not seem to be strong enough for a leader.
Henderson was a joke, and did practically nothing for weeks.

Murphy was basically carrying the team on his shoulders for the majority of the season, and I felt quite sorry for him. But I admired the level of effort he brought when playing under Barker. It made him just as worthy for the best and fairest like Cripps.

Most People think that having too many leaders can become an issue, but I believe that for a group of players like we have now (including new faces, young kids and struggling bodies), about 7-8 would be just about right. If only this could happen.

Marc Murphy (Captain)
Bryce Gibbs (Vice Captain)
Kade Simpson (Vice Captain)
Andrew Walker
Dale Thomas
Sam Docherty
Ed Curnow

If 8, probably Zach Tuohy to be included.

A great leadership group requires a perfect balance of:

- People that have the ability to lead and communicate ideas and plans thoroughly to players. People who have the ability to install belief and faith in the others. People who can get them to listen. (Murphy, Gibbs, Walker, Simpson)
- Players who become standouts in most matches. Players who are praised for their outstanding level of skill and poise to make a difference in the game. (Murphy, Gibbs, Simpson, Tuohy, Thomas)
- Players who throw their body on the line and/or always put in a good effort. Players who show their love for the jumper and passion for the game. Players who do their work and expect others to do theirs. (Simpson, Docherty, Curnow)
- Players who share things in common, such as level of experience, strength, position on the field, etc.

They are experienced good players.
Have no issue if they are in the LG. Thomas I am convicned wants to bust his gut for the side.
Walker just needs to curb his penchant for screaming at teammates.

Classic example was the Brownlow incident with Fev. His team mates should have dealt with him earlier on that night.
Judd addressed that in his book. They all tried to stop him. Kernahan tried to stop him as well. They can't physically drag the guy out of the place if he doesn't want to go.

He went to Brisbane. Did Brown and Voss control him?

Fev was Fev's fault. We are searching if we think our leadership or lack thereof of created him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hot Topic 2016 Leadership Group - Murphy retains Captaincy

Back