2016 Trade Hypotheticals (Opposition supporters post here)

Balls on the line, who you moving on......

• Rocky

Votes: 75 42.1%
  • Pearce

Votes: 82 46.1%
  • Rich

Votes: 21 11.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Ah, no. Just because we, as fans, are down on Hanley anyone looking to trade for him are not doing so off the basis of his shit year and our half-arsed body language "experts".

Not really just us though is it? Plenty of stuff in the media lately about his poor on field leadership and performances. Also a few things getting around about his off field behaviour. Whether you give any credence to these reports is up to you. That they have been reported makes them a factor. They will be used by any club seeking to trade him in to drive his value down. Essentially, in terms of trade value, he's as low as he is likely to get. I personally don't see us getting a first round pick for him this year.

Steele was taken at pick 23 (with academy discount, after being bid on at 15 by north). He's only played 10 games this year, but that's still quite an effort considering the midfield mix the Giants have. He has been dominating at NEAFL level, albeit in a strong team. In any case, he is a trade target for a lot of clubs. After two years in what looks like a pretty good system and considering where he was taken in the draft as well as his size and ball winning ability, I can see him attracting a late first round/early second round pick at the trade table.

Let me say this too, i really like Hanley. I think he has tried really hard this year for the most part. His hips are obviously giving him trouble. His frustration is clear to see. It's obvious he cares. I really hope we keep him. Not just because we wouldn't be getting his true value in a trade this year, but because at his best he is one our best. In saying that, if we get offered a trade for him for Steele and pick 16, we should take it and run.

Not really just us though is it? Plenty of stuff in the media lately about his poor on field leadership and performances. Also a few things getting around about his off field behaviour. Whether you give any credence to these reports is up to you. That they have been reported makes them a factor. They will be used by any club seeking to trade him in to drive his value down. Essentially, in terms of trade value, he's as low as he is likely to get. I personally don't see us getting a first round pick for him this year.

I don't see much word about Hanley in the media. He may have been overshadowed by the reports on Rocky and our overall performance to some degree but IMO he's flown under the radar. Either way as a counter-example Bennell, who had shown a whole lot less on field and a whole lot more off-field, still went for a first round pick (gross) last year or a very early second rounder/late first rounder (net).

Bear in mind that Hanley is contracted as well, so it's not like we have to trade him unless we go full desperate fire sale which I really hope we don't. That would just be terrible management.

Steele was taken at pick 23 (with academy discount, after being bid on at 15 by north). He's only played 10 games this year, but that's still quite an effort considering the midfield mix the Giants have. He has been dominating at NEAFL level, albeit in a strong team. In any case, he is a trade target for a lot of clubs. After two years in what looks like a pretty good system and considering where he was taken in the draft as well as his size and ball winning ability, I can see him attracting a late first round/early second round pick at the trade table.

I think that's the logic is largely correct, though I know I don't rate Steele as highly as most.

I think Hanley would still attract the equivalent of a valuable pick. I don't know that a club would give up one of those picks straight for him, but a combination of picks and players would get close. It's probably not going to be near to Steele + 16, but my fundamental disagreement was that "Steele currently has more trade value than Hanley". Your explanation has them roughly equal and as noted I think Hanley, if going, would go for more than you expect.

Rocky to the Saints for pick 10? and maybe chuck in Delaney?

Hanley to GWS for pick 15?

Nup. Offensive liability. 3rd tall defenders are now rebounders. Gone - hopefully GWS want him and we can have Steele.

So on a team short on defenders, you want to get rid of a promising young defender that could only improve year to year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you'd be getting rid of half the team then?

Haha perhaps. He's OOC I believe and showed little this year. Maybe with a new coach he'll improve. I'd just rather us with some run off half back. Cutler is same height and twice the player...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha perhaps. He's OOC I believe and showed little this year. Maybe with a new coach he'll improve. I'd just rather us with some run off half back. Cutler is same height and twice the player...

But 1 tenth as good defensively

You do realise in the current best 22, Gardiner and Cutler both played? Take away Sauce who's going to replace the two of them, if you say Paine you are kidding yourself. We are not going to be able to recruit 2-3 mature defenders we don't have the resources to do so.

You do realise in the current best 22, Gardiner and Cutler both played? Take away Sauce who's going to replace the two of them, if you say Paine you are kidding yourself. We are not going to be able to recruit 2-3 mature defenders we don't have the resources to do so.

To be frank, who would want to come to Brisbane. The club is a divided, dysfunctional basket case. No chance of getting top grade talent ... Just more 3rd rate players. It's going to be a long hard slog, with another massive list turnover which will see out at least one more coach before we even come close to making finals.

To be frank, who would want to come to Brisbane. The club is a divided, dysfunctional basket case. No chance of getting top grade talent ... Just more 3rd rate players. It's going to be a long hard slog, with another massive list turnover which will see out at least one more coach before we even come close to making finals.
I think the point to is that Leppa's sacking is he failed to develop the young players, but the young players we have do have talent. Therefore we should be able to avoid another couple of years of massive list turnover - we have the players, they just need to be taught how to play. Will still be a hard slog - but should be about getting the best out of the stock on hand. No point moving out young players for more draft picks... it's the same vicious cycle.

Green to anyone that will take him for a packet of chips... salt and vinegar I would think

I'm not sure what we could expect for him. GWS have said they're looking for small forwards but there might be better options like Walters from Freo. Can't think of any other teams that would be keen. Maybe Sydney?

I hope we keep Green. Seems like a flog, but is the only natural small forward we have. I'd be giving him a long stint in the NEAFL next season and tell him he won't be making the seniors team until the defensive side of his game has improved dramatically. Give him a target tackle count per game or something. He certainly has the aggression, it should be a feature of his game. A new coach at both levels might be able to get the best out of him. Who knows. Doubt we would get much for him at the trade table.

I hope we keep Green. Seems like a flog, but is the only natural small forward we have. I'd be giving him a long stint in the NEAFL next season and tell him he won't be making the seniors team until the defensive side of his game has improved dramatically. Give him a target tackle count per game or something. He certainly has the aggression, it should be a feature of his game. A new coach at both levels might be able to get the best out of him. Who knows. Doubt we would get much for him at the trade table.

I wonder if we could shift Bewick to be a small/medium forward. His defensive aspects have improved quite a bit so he'd probably offer more there than Green. He can mark better. Is probably quicker.

I wonder if we could shift Bewick to be a small/medium forward. His defensive aspects have improved quite a bit so he'd probably offer more there than Green. He can mark better. Is probably quicker.

Yeah, good idea. It will be interesting to see where a new coach decides to play him. He can certainly take a mark, would be good to see him going for a few more. May help put bums on seats if he does it on the regular?

Remove this Banner Ad

2016 Trade Hypotheticals (Opposition supporters post here)

Back