Resource 2017 AFL and AFLW Crowds and Ratings

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ground availability re cricket and public interest in a summer where many sports fans are interested in other sports would probably nip that in the bud. There's an argument to be made that the AFLW is as popular as it is because it's playing in a slightly emptier time for sports without the Big Bash and Australian Open which have generally finished.

BTW: When the VFA resumed competition in 1945,Ron Todd moved to full-forward and kicked a record 188 goals for the season which still stands today, including 20 goals in a game against Oakleigh
Probably worth mentioning this was during the throw-pass era.

I am suggesting a fully independent VFA, playing in the off-season -could the old, true suburban tribalism be restored? If the BBL razzle dazzle can work, I believe the fast-flowing VFA could also (16 a side, only 2 on the bench, monster torp goals etc.).

L.Nash kicked 18 goals in a State game against SA -even though he was only at full forward for 3 qtrs! Gordon Coventry wrote that if Nash had played full forward, he would have kicked more goals than anyone Coventry included. Nash was only 5 '9", but regularly out marked much taller opponents due to his phenomenal leaping -& unique mastery of the lateral hanger (ie outstretched arm at 90 degrees, pulling the ball back in to his other hand, whilst falling).

Incidentally, I recall Sandy fans often saying proudly "I've always been a Bra man"!

From my memory of attending Sandringham matches Sandringham fans called the the team Zebs,Zebras or Sandy I never heard anyone call out Bras.

Laurie Nash famously left South Melbourne to captain/coach Camberwell in the VFA in the prime of his career Apparently he was a bit of an egotist (with good reason) and when playing at Camberwell he would play CHF one quarter and CHB the next quarter to be at the grandstand end where most of the crowd was!

I wonder whether international rules might eventually morph into whatever AFLX is. I don't mind the international rules and think the half-hearted backing of it is a missed opportunity. knockers will always say it's nonsense, but then state of origin in rugby league was once considered Mickey Mouse.
I wonder what would happen if they played with a slightly oval ball - not like a Sherrin, but something like a fat egg

I wonder whether international rules might eventually morph into whatever AFLX is. I don't mind the international rules and think the half-hearted backing of it is a missed opportunity. knockers will always say it's nonsense, but then state of origin in rugby league was once considered Mickey Mouse.
I wonder what would happen if they played with a slightly oval ball - not like a Sherrin, but something like a fat egg

What I think is certainly possible is that AFL X could provide a representative option in November - December.

Obviously without having seen it, I suspect AFL X will suit the Irish players outside game (and lack of inside game). There are also pretty much enough irish on lists nowadays to put a squad together and you could pad it out with GAA players

A potential model could be to have two pools of 4

Say,
P1 Victoria, NSW, QLD and Ireland
P2 WA, SA, NT and TAS

Play a single round robin over a week with two games at the same venue each night (eg P1 Friday, Tuesday, Saturday and P2 Saturday, Wednesday Sunday)

Top 2 from each group play semis and final in one night the following weekend (perhaps have a Division 2 play off as well)

25k for the IR at AO.

Decent considering the heat, and the the lack of/negative publicity the game got in the lead up.

The big crowds we saw for IR in the mid 2000's may come back once the stench of what the AFL did in the early 2010's with providing only watered down teams wears off.

The new policy of AA only eligiabilty is a good one for the survival of this concept.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What I think is certainly possible is that AFL X could provide a representative option in November - December.

Obviously without having seen it, I suspect AFL X will suit the Irish players outside game (and lack of inside game). There are also pretty much enough irish on lists nowadays to put a squad together and you could pad it out with GAA players

A potential model could be to have two pools of 4

Say,
P1 Victoria, NSW, QLD and Ireland
P2 WA, SA, NT and TAS

Play a single round robin over a week with two games at the same venue each night (eg P1 Friday, Tuesday, Saturday and P2 Saturday, Wednesday Sunday)

Top 2 from each group play semis and final in one night the following weekend (perhaps have a Division 2 play off as well)

Not a bad thought - could also consider PNG at some point in the near future, or could end up with some sort of two division set-up.

25k for the IR at AO.

Decent considering the heat, and the the lack of/negative publicity the game got in the lead up.

The big crowds we saw for IR in the mid 2000's may come back once the stench of what the AFL did in the early 2010's with providing only watered down teams wears off.

The new policy of AA only eligiabilty is a good one for the survival of this concept.

None of the RL or A League games this week got anywhere near that so I suppose in that context it was a pretty good crowd

Wow, I am amazed at the relative rugby test ratings compared with the world cup qualifier

As in high or low? I would have thought they'd be pretty similar to the comparable teams here - i'd expect the Socceroos game tomorrow to smash any Wallabies game this year in terms of TV viewers.

848K (soccer WCQ) to 631k. I always assumed the difference in interest between soccer and rugby in Ireland was greater than the difference here

848K (soccer WCQ) to 631k. I always assumed the difference in interest between soccer and rugby in Ireland was greater than the difference here

I'd think the game tomorrow night will get more viewers than the Syria game. More on the line for one.

Ireland also don't generally qualify for World Cups so it would have been a larger event for them as well. A bit like that game we played against Uruguay in 2005. From memory that got a massive audience here.

I would say that there is greater interest in Rugby in Ireland. In this case, the significance of the game probably told.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

I'd think the game tomorrow night will get more viewers than the Syria game. More on the line for one.

Ireland also don't generally qualify for World Cups so it would have been a larger event for them as well. A bit like that game we played against Uruguay in 2005. From memory that got a massive audience here.

I was surprised it didn't get far higher ratings relative to the the rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back