Preview 2017 First Elimination Final Ports vs West Coast Eagles, AKA The Perth Stadium Penguins

Remove this Banner Ad

2017 FIRST ELIMINATION FINAL

Port Adelaide Power vs West Coast Eagles
Where: Adelaide Oval​
When: Saturday September 10th 7.20 pm ACST
Where they finished: Port 5th, 14-8, 129.7% --- West Coast 8th, 12-10, 105.7%

PORT ADELAIDE RETURNS TO FINALS ACTION!!! OK, we knew this last week, but our position and opponent have now been determined - an Elimination Final at Adelaide Oval on Saturday night, September 10th, against the West Coast Eagles. Fresh off a 115-point humiliation of Gold Coast, who at least had the courtesy to dress up as witches hats, and on a three game winning streak - something we have not achieved since 2014 - Port are confident, healthy and will be keen to avenge the Eagles' last two visits to us, which have resulted in frustrating losses that destroyed our confidence last season and seemed to derail this one. However, the 2017 version of Port Adelaide is made of sterner stuff, and we returned the favour to the West Coasters in round 16 by recording a comfortable 32 point win. After scores were level at 3/4 time, the Power booted 8 final term goals, with Dixon (5) and R Gray (3) leading the way, Ryder dominant in ruck and SPP showing his courage by shaking off a shoulder injury scare. Since then, we've dropped Trengove, Hombsch, Atley, Impey and White (although the first two may return this week), whilst the Eagles have only shuffled Karpany, Wellingham and Lycett out.
The Eagles have now played their last game at Subiaco/Domain Stadium and move to the new Perth Stadium next season. It looks like a gigantic cake tin...:eek:

Pictured: The new home of the West Coasters, Perth Stadium
Forwards: This is where I think the Eagles will have the most matchup concerns. They tend to load up, with big intercept marking threats like McGovern, Barass, Sheppard and Yeo, and rely on a team defensive philosophy to cover their men. The likes of sixgoalSam, snapshotRob and Wingedgod need to maintain separation on their defenders to allow room for Dixon, Westhoff and Trengove/Marshall to take their men one on one. The one thing the Eagles possess is marking power to escape our lock-in press, so efficiency and accuracy are paramount this week.

Midfield: Shapes as a titanic battle. Wines, Ebert, Boak, Wingard, Gray, SPP vs Priddis, Mitchell, Shuey, Sheed and Redden. We seem to run deeper with quality, and will be fed by a dominant ruck in Ryder, and our mids have more pace than the Eagles. Their outside run comes from Gaff and Jetta, but we have good matchups for them in Polec and AJ/Broadbent

Defence: Kennedy looms large as a vital player to be stopped. He didn't play against us in Perth, and this is the reason that Hombsch should be recalled. Darling and LeCras have poor finals and away records, but always seem to play well against Port, so Doogs and DBJ have big jobs as well.

Possible Lineups:

PORT
B:
Byrne-Jones - Clurey - Hombsch
HB: Hartlett - Howard - Pittard
C: Polec - Ebert - Westhoff
HF: S Gray - Trengove - Boak
F: Wingard - Dixon - R Gray
R: Ryder - Wines - Powell-Pepper
Int: Neade - Broadbent - Amon - Houston
In: Trengove - Hombsch - Broadbent
Out: Marshall - Bonner - Johnson​

I think that selectors will opt for experience. Trengove has done all that could be asked of him at the Magpies for the past couple, and at this point in time is still a better, more battle-hardened selection than Marshall. And we ill need his ruck backup against two experienced, if similarly limited, ruckmen. Shoring up our tall defence with Hombsch is necessary, because the Eagles do play at least 3, sometimes 4 tall forwards, and McGovern may start there given his matchup paucity in our forward line. I'm sure that Hombsch would have replaced Bonner last week but for the lack of imposing Suns forwards. And Broadbent has been an automatic selection when fit, and has done little wrong this year, so AJ will probably make way.

WEST COAST
B: MacKenzie - Barass - Sheppard
HB: Hurn - McGovern - Yeo
C: Gaff - Priddis - Jetta
HF: Redden - Darling - Cripps
F: Petrie - Kennedy - LeCras
R: Naitanui - Shuey - Mitchell
Int: Sheed - Duggan - Masten - Cripps
In: Naitanui - Masten
Out: Partington - Vardy

The big intrigue is NicNat. Listed on their website as a "Late 2017" return, it doesn't get any later than this. If he's ready, he'll play (I'm not too across the Eagles updates, so happy to be corrected here) Otherwise, they've run happily with Vardy all season, along with Petrie's support. They had Chris Masten and Sharrod Wellingham out of their round 23 team, so may want to add their experience, and the inexperienced Partington could be unlucky to lose his spot

Key Matchups: Ryder/Trengove vs Petrie/Vardy - Ryder has too much leap for the Eagles rucks unless Naitanui plays, which is unlikely, and his hitting skill is far greater than Petrie or Vardy. I expect Paddy to dominate here, and give the likes of Boak, Ebert, Wines, SPP, R Gray and Wingard first look at the ball.
Howard v Darling - Doogs has the pace and endurance to go with Darling, who is a perennial finals and away game underperformer anyway
Clurey v Kennedy - TC's biggest test yet, on the big stage against a dual Coleman Medallist who is coming off an inaccurate performance vs the Crows. JK rarely puts in 2 bad ones in a row, and never misses against Port, so the challenge is to make sure he has to get the ball at distance or at width. This is why I would expect Hombsch to be recalled, to help Tommy quell the biggest danger to progressing.
Wines/Ebert/Boak v Mitchell/Priddis/Shuey - The inside midfield war. Clearances are so vital in finals, and with Ryder in career-best and AA form, it is so vital to get the plans and timing perfect around ruck contests. The Eagles trio are all experienced, tough finals players who read a game well, and can make adjustments on the fly, so it will be important for our group to not become too predictable as the game wears on.
Wingard v Yeo - Potentially the most exhilarating matchup on the field if it eventuates. Both go midfield at times, and both are clean, influential and brilliant. It will benefit us if Wingard, or whoever is Yeo's opponent, takes him deep to keep his damaging rebound in check.

Tale Of The Tape:
upload_2017-8-28_9-40-22.png

Tip: Port by 24 points. At home, healthy and confident that we've gone through our flat spot and begun climbing again, Port's pressure game and firing small forwards to kick us to a comfortable win easing back against the mentally bedraggled Eagles, and moving on to a semi-final against the loser of the Crows and Giants. A Showdown semi-final at Adelaide Oval, in front of an equal gallery of Crow and Power fans, will be the dream.

images

Pictured: West Coast cheer squad assist their skipper in determining wind direction

images

Pictured: Eagles veterans Priddis, Mitchell and Petrie bow out with their heads held high

Great preview, thanks Ant!

It's great to be back in finals after a two year absence. Last night was exciting when we were going to be playing West Coast one minute, then Melbourne the next, and then eventually West Coast.

This match-up does make me nervous since they have a 100% winning record against us at AO. They're 5-1 all up and that one loss in 2015 they weren't playing to win as they had one eye on finals a fortnight later. If we're ever going to beat them at home then now would be a pretty good time. 1 finals win would overshadow 3 H&A wins.

I'm excited to see SPP, DBJ, Clurey, Houston, Amon etc. all play finals, but I especially want to win for Dixon and Ryder seeing as one has never played a final and the other has never played in a winning one (the latter reflects so poorly on Essendon lol).

It will no doubt be a tough gig for whichever team advances to the SF, although both would prefer Adelaide. We get a shot at them on neutral territory while keeping the travel factor down, and back-to-back finals at Adelaide Oval would be more than ideal for West Coast as they look to continue their love affair with the venue.

Of course I'm going to be biased and predict us to win. Port by 8 points :thumbsu:

upload_2017-8-28_12-16-53.png

Interesting to look back at some of the key stats from our last 2 games.

We've taken a lot more marks inside 50 than the Eagles. We've won the clearance battle both times. We've easily won the inside 50's. We've won the contested ball battle both times.

Really statistics and all logic point to us winning, but Kennedy will be a huge concern this week with Jonas missing. Lets hope our boys are switched on, the last 2 times the Eagles have played in Adelaide they've taken advantage of a 3rd quarter lapse, in games where we've come out just expecting a win and haven't been switched on at all. Hopefully the energy from the big win in Perth flows through to the team this week and gives us a lot of confidence, because I'm sure the boys will be switched on this week with the huge crowd behind them in a do-or-die game.

I wont make a prediction yet until we name our side. Always nervous about finals, but this game is one that's there for the taking.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well I think power have got this our home game we should get more free kicks let's hope Kennedy is their big in since last time if Hombsch returns it should be fine if he returns with from both he and Howard will do plenty of intercepting. As for NicNat, I highly doubt he comes back this year otherwise we would be hearing it all over the media

Hamish BOG
Roberto 5 goals
Jasper to kick another 2 points.
Since that goal against the saints I have started calling him Roberto as well, whenever it goes deep into our forward line and he is line to get the ball one on one. Not sure if my brain is thinking of Roberto Baggio, Roberto Carlos, Roberto Firmino or Roberto Soldado, but its thinking he is going to do something flashy here.

This is a tough game to call i think for Port to win, everything will have to go right for them starting with the coaches and their preparations. The Eagles have the personal to loom large over us with their tall forwards strong backline and a reasonable spread of runners to move the ball. jonas has done this club no favors with his mindless brain fade that sees Hinkley a tall short in the back half, and as such he will have to be smart to get through this game. For me it will start a 50/50 game but could quickly go down hill fast if Port are not tuned to perfection for this clash and have a 100% effort for 4 quarters from all players.

This is a tough game to call i think for Port to win, everything will have to go right for them starting with the coaches and their preparations. The Eagles have the personal to loom large over us with their tall forwards strong backline and a reasonable spread of runners to move the ball. jonas has done this club no favors with his mindless brain fade that sees Hinkley a tall short in the back half, and as such he will have to be smart to get through this game. For me it will start a 50/50 game but could quickly go down hill fast if Port are not tuned to perfection for this clash and have a 100% effort for 4 quarters from all players.
You do realise we finished comfortably ahead of them during the season (the same distance as the Crows to us) and comfortably beat them at their place.

We have their number in most ways. We just need not to be crap.

ZCcQWKY.png

I made this one considerably shorter, because who wants to watch this for 20-40mins?
This simulation comes in at just under 10mins, unfortunately this takes a heavy toll on the scoring, but you get the idea.

Frustratingly, I had started this match and it was looking good, then the game crashed after quarter time , so I had to start again.
Unfortunately, the replay of the match is a lot more scrappy then the original was looking to be.
QT: Port 0.1.1 WCE 0.0.0
HT: Port 1.3.9 WCE 0.0.0
3QT: Port 1.3.9 WCE 0.1.0
FT: Port 2.3.15 WCE 1.1.7

Port Power by 8 points

ZCcQWKY.png

I made this one considerably shorter, because who wants to watch this for 20-40mins?
This simulation comes in at just under 10mins, unfortunately this takes a heavy toll on the scoring, but you get the idea.

Frustratingly, I had started this match and it was looking good, then the game crashed after quarter time , so I had to start again.
Unfortunately, the replay of the match is a lot more scrappy then the original was looking to be.
QT: Port 0.1.1 WCE 0.0.0
HT: Port 1.3.9 WCE 0.0.0
3QT: Port 1.3.9 WCE 0.1.0
FT: Port 2.3.15 WCE 1.1.7

Port Power by 8 points

What the hell was Bowen Lockwood thinking?!?!

Hopefully Ben Cousins pings a hammy and Chris Judd is restricted to the forward line with his dodgy shoulders!

It was his groin. He could barely move and was still almost the match winner.

You do realise we finished comfortably ahead of them during the season (the same distance as the Crows to us) and comfortably beat them at their place.

We have their number in most ways. We just need not to be crap.

Oh yes it has more than a few echoes of last year's soft-as-butter North Vs Crows 5 vs 8 elimination final. Right down to the early season win to North, come-from-behind-at-half-time mid season win to the Cows, the retiring leg-ends on the away side and the quite plausible physical smack down the winning side might get the second week of finals.

It would require an extraordinary emotional surge from West Coast coupled with an extraordinary but not completely unknown emotional breakdown from us for them to win here again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2017 First Elimination Final Ports vs West Coast Eagles, AKA The Perth Stadium Penguins

Remove this Banner Ad

Back