Analysis 2017 List Importance

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting reading your list post season POBT . A few surprises here and there.
Yeah, I was only reading this the other day and thinking how the season went against the predictions. Overall, I hoped we'd get more out of the likes of Taylor, McStay, Gardiner, Mayes and Cutler and, by and large (Cutler excluded) we achieved that. As a result, the future looks a lot brighter than it did 12 months ago when those guys looked like fringe types.

Disappointing years for Bell and Frost who aren't achieving what we signed them for (noting their years ended up being curtailed through injury).

Way too high expectations on Schache but, then again, Hipwood probably should have been a lot higher so it isn't as though we can't have confidence in the youngsters. And Andrews isn't much older again and he's still a top 5 player for us in terms of importance.

I didn't have a lot of faith after about 19 on the list (not that I was hugely confident in the group before that either). There were some really pleasing and surprising efforts in that group from about 20 onwards. The mature players like Bastinac and Walker really were fringe players in the worst team at the beginning of the year which is not a great place to be when you are 24/25. To their credit, they are now firmly best 22. And a couple of fringe youngsters in Robertson and Mathieson have first dibs on a senior spot next year if they continue to improve.

Speaking of next year's ratings, it will be interesting to see if an "importance pecking order" emerges over summer among the guys who debuted this year. I think Witherden would have to top the group at this point but Berry's contested footy and professionalism, McCluggage's class and decision making, Allison's line running and Cox's ability to break structures open are all assets that we'd like to harness more next year. My sneaky prediction is that Berry (who admittedly is my favourite among our youngsters) might be in the top 10 or so next year.

I also think there might be a logjam for places in the 18-26 range. That range may cause some debate next year as the best 22 is far from clear cut at this point IMO. Guys who played a lot this year may need to go to another level to remain a certain selection....which is a really good sign.

The other point of note is that next year's bottom 6 will be significantly improved on this year's. At this stage, I'd imagine I'll be listing Bewick, Bell, Frost and Dawson at the bottom. All of those guys (perhaps with the exception of Dawson) have done ok at senior level at various points of their careers and, injuries permitting, could come in and do a job if required.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back