NFL 2017 NFL Pre-Season Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Detroit had no choice but to go all in on Stafford. The 8 wins last season from Stafford's last quarter passing drives shows that he carries the franchise on his shoulders. Once that finger tendon ruptured in week 14, the season fell apart.

Steelers acquired TE Vance McDonald and a fifth-round pick from the 49ers in exchange for a fourth-round pick.

Signed to a five-year extension by the previous regime in December, the 49ers tried to trade McDonald this offseason, but they had seemed content to stick with him the last couple weeks. Now they are giving him away for almost free. It is a great move for the Steelers, who lacked real weapons at the position. It will take him some time to settle in, but McDonald should push Jesse James for targets sooner rather than later.
Related: 49ers

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Aug 29 - 12:08 PM

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the Jets have "gauged the trade market" for Matt Forte.

This one was easy to see coming. The Jets are scrapping the entire plane as they tank 2017, selling even the nuts and bolts. A running back entering his age-32 season isn't exactly a necessary piece for a rebuild, especially when Gang Green could see what Bilal Powell offers as a true three-down back. Sixth-rounder Elijah McGuire is also vying for work. The problem is, Forte's entire $4 million salary is guaranteed. If the Jets are going to move on from Forte, it will likely be via release later this week.

Source: Tom Pelissero on Twitter
Aug 29 - 1:14 PM

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Broncos have discussed trading SS T.J. Ward.

It is a bit surprising considering Ward played well last season and is only a year removed from three-straight Pro Bowl nods, but he is entering the final year of his deal. After discussing an extension with him in May, the Broncos may have decided they will not be able to re-sign him. Ward will turn 31 in December.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Aug 29 - 1:03 PM

Steelers acquired TE Vance McDonald and a fifth-round pick from the 49ers in exchange for a fourth-round pick.

Signed to a five-year extension by the previous regime in December, the 49ers tried to trade McDonald this offseason, but they had seemed content to stick with him the last couple weeks. Now they are giving him away for almost free. It is a great move for the Steelers, who lacked real weapons at the position. It will take him some time to settle in, but McDonald should push Jesse James for targets sooner rather than later.
Related: 49ers

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Aug 29 - 12:08 PM

Hardly call it free....McDonald signed a 5 year $35M extension in what turned out to be former GM Balke's last great move. With Brooks being released earlier this week that's another $9M off the payroll for the team and adds more ammunition to their war chest as they rebuild the roster from the ground up.

Joe Staley, Eric Reid, Pierre Garcon, Kyle Juszczyk and Navarro Bowman are the only vets left on the roster who you can argue are earning overs or competitive market rate for their respective positions. The 49ers wont be competing this year but at least they have a payroll that reflects this.

Hardly call it free....McDonald signed a 5 year $35M extension in what turned out to be former GM Balke's last great move. With Brooks being released earlier this week that's another $9M off the payroll for the team and adds more ammunition to their war chest as they rebuild the roster from the ground up.

Joe Staley, Eric Reid, Pierre Garcon, Kyle Juszczyk and Navarro Bowman are the only vets left on the roster who you can argue are earning overs or competitive market rate for their respective positions. The 49ers wont be competing this year but at least they have a payroll that reflects this.
Imo niners are a wild card smokey

Imo niners are a wild card smokey

Breaking News....49ers scouting team make bee-line for draft war room in the knowledge they now have a top 5 overall pick based on GG.exe prediction.

Edit: I'm scared to death of our defensive backfield situation....I think we will be much improved, actually have a real NFL calibre offense, rush the passer, stop the run and everything but I'm not sure our DBs are suited to the scheme being implemented....most of these guys seem like bump and run cover guys and not read and react types.

Breaking News....49ers scouting team make bee-line for draft war room in the knowledge they now have a top 5 overall pick based on GG.exe prediction.

Edit: I'm scared to death of our defensive backfield situation....I think we will be much improved, actually have a real NFL calibre offense, rush the passer, stop the run and everything but I'm not sure our DBs are suited to the scheme being implemented....most of these guys seem like bump and run cover guys and not read and react types.
Front 7 is a staple beastliness which can always cover for deficiencies at DB. Don't sweat the small stuff! You'll be pleasantly surprised this season ;)

Front 7 is a staple beastliness which can always cover for deficiencies at DB. Don't sweat the small stuff! You'll be pleasantly surprised this season ;)

Ward hasn't played a snap yet this pre-season as the single high free safety....by all reports the most important db in the scheme being deployed....will keep my powder dry for now and maybe the top 5 on the depth chart are NFL worthy but I'm worried about what comes off the bench from there.

Was away for a few days so I just got back and watched a few weeks 3 highlights...man, Trubisky is going to be a star

Maybe but that new kid, I think his name is Hoyer something, looks like the second coming of Tom Brady.

Maybe but that new kid, I think his name is Hoyer something, looks like the second coming of Tom Brady.

I'm not knocking the 9ers at all..I think thomas will be a great defensive lineman.

I just think of all the crap the bears copped for ensuring they drafted trubisky..to me it looks a home run pick.

And they were the only team who moved up this yeara to get a qb in rd 1, that didn't give up a future 1st round pick.

Ward hasn't played a snap yet this pre-season as the single high free safety....by all reports the most important db in the scheme being deployed....will keep my powder dry for now and maybe the top 5 on the depth chart are NFL worthy but I'm worried about what comes off the bench from there.
Tartt is a gun in waiting

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not knocking the 9ers at all..I think thomas will be a great defensive lineman.

I just think of all the crap the bears copped for ensuring they drafted trubisky..to me it looks a home run pick.

And they were the only team who moved up this yeara to get a qb in rd 1, that didn't give up a future 1st round pick.

It's cool...didn't take it for a knock on the 49ers......I was being purely self-centred on Brian Hoyer being the best bald 49er QB since Jeff Garcia.

The Stafford deal is just insane.
I dont know why teams over pay for people like him. He is in the group with Dalton, Cousins, Flacco.

Megatron retired because he was sick of playing with him because he's just not that good.
matthew-stafford-throws-another-pick-against-baltimore.gif

I dont know why teams over pay for people like him. He is in the group with Dalton, Cousins, Flacco.

Megatron retired because he was sick of playing with him because he's just not that good.
So why didn't Megatron simply join another team?

BTW - here's the full Stafford Contract (courtesy of spotrac.com)

Year|Age|Base Salary|Signing Bonus|Roster Bonus|Workout Bonus|Cap Hit|Dead Cap
\2017|29|$1,000,000|$15,500,000|-|-|$16,500,000|$66,000,000
\2018|30|$9,500,000|$10,000,000|$6,500,000|$500,000|$26,500,000|$49,500,000
\2019|31|$13,500,000|$10,000,000|$5,500,000|$500,000|$29,500,000|$30,000,000
\2020|32|$15,000,000|$10,000,000|$6,000,000|$500,000|$31,500,000|$20,000,000
\2021|33|$9,500,000|$10,000,000|$10,000,000|$500,000|$30,000,000|$10,000,000
\2022|34|$12,500,000|-|$10,000,000|$500,000|$23,000,000|-
\2023|35|UFA

Contract Notes:
•$60.5M guaranteed at signing (signing bonus + 2017 salary + 2018 salary)
•2018 Roster Bonus: $6.5M (due the 5th league day of 2018)
•2019 Roster Bonus: $5.5M (fully guarantees on the 5th league day of 2018, paid the 5th league day of 2019)
•2019 salary fully guarantees on the 5th league day of 2018
•2020 Roster Bonus: $6M (fully guarantees on the 5th league day of 2019, paid the 5th league day of 2020)
•2021 Roster Bonus: $10M (due the 5th league day of 2021)
•2022 Roster Bonus: $10M due the 5th league day of 2022)
•2018-2022 Workout Bonus: $500,000

The signing bonus of $50 million is pro-rated across the maximum time allowed (5 years) and is supplemented by an additional 5 roster bonuses.

If the Lions wanted to, they could cut Stafford as early as 2019 as anything earlier would be very detrimental from a dead money perspective.

Stafford was drafted following the 2008 0-16 season. Since then they have at least been competitive and have made the playoffs three times. I can see why management would want to keep him and build around him rather than blowing the whole thing up and starting over. $27 million per year is just the current cost of doing business if you're a top 15 QB in today's league.

You've got to remember this is the league that gave Brock Osweiller a 4 year, $72 million deal and also gave Kirk Cousins $44 million for 2 years work.

Stafford was drafted following the 2008 0-16 season. Since then they have at least been competitive and have made the playoffs three times. I can see why management would want to keep him and build around him rather than blowing the whole thing up and starting over. $27 million per year is just the current cost of doing business if you're a top 15 QB in today's league.

You've got to remember this is the league that gave Brock Osweiller a 4 year, $72 million deal and also gave Kirk Cousins $44 million for 2 years work.

The team has a lot more holes to fill. I dont understand breaking the bank on a QB when he has 0 playoff wins and the team isnt that good. I doubt they needed to pay that much to keep him.

This might be a worse contact than Brock. because if they spent the money elsewhere they could be a legit contender.

Remove this Banner Ad

NFL 2017 NFL Pre-Season Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back