List Mgmt. 2017 Trade & FA Targets Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I a bad supporter for not feeling as horrible about Roo and Joeys retirements as compared to other past greats? Absolute legends of the clubs no doubt about it, but I think it's a good time for both the club and the player to part ways and think about life after them.

I remember feeling a lot more empty when Harvey and Hayes retired. I still feel they had a lot more to offer as both players and exited the game a season or two too early.

I dunno, just my 2 cents anyway I'm sure no one really gives a **** haha

Do we need to get the "it's happening" gifs going again?

Saw this posted in Knightmare's thread on the phantom draft board yesterday and another post he made from the WB board:

Hey mate just to clarify you spoke to someone in Kelly's family, not someone from your own from East Brighton?
Saints are hopeful we get Kelly, North are certain he is going to them and just read on Carlton board he is a 95% certainty to go there..... All these claims from "respected" ITKs on their various boards.
How can all of them be right ??? :cool::D:eek:

Fisher was a standout, but we haven't done too badly in recent years. Not outright superstars, but OK.

Sinclair, Gwilt, Geary, even Stuv was 37(?).

Mind you, what we haven't plucked from the draft, we have traded in for nix like Robbo.
Yes we have done well for years and the young bloke Marshall might to another one.

I would argue that it's been our early picks over the years that have let us down although we have improved there as well but there were some shockers.

Saints are hopeful we get Kelly, North are certain he is going to them and just read on Carlton board he is a 95% certainty to go there..... All these claims from "respected" ITKs on their various boards.
How can all of them be right ??? :cool::D:eek:
Hint: they aren't.

Am I a bad supporter for not feeling as horrible about Roo and Joeys retirements as compared to other past greats? Absolute legends of the clubs no doubt about it, but I think it's a good time for both the club and the player to part ways and think about life after them.

I remember feeling a lot more empty when Harvey and Hayes retired. I still feel they had a lot more to offer as both players and exited the game a season or two too early.

I dunno, just my 2 cents anyway I'm sure no one really gives a **** haha
Agree. Lenny had a bit still left in the tank, rooey particularly and joey to an extent were running on fumes

No you're not.

I got emotional when Roo retired but it definitely was time.

For Joey I feel bad saying it but I wouldn't have minded if he hung the boots up last year. He was a gun and I loved him cause he was a Sainter but he never reached Hayes, Roo, NDS level of love from me
Put 100 on him to coach us one day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Joey now retiring on top of Roo and Dempster I would love to know how the hell we get to 95% of the salary cap if we don't get a star. We have lost close 1.7 million off the cap and there was also a 20% increase in the cap which wont go to certain players on certain contracts. That would make it over 2.5 million we have to give to players who are currently on the list. Many of those contracts will need to be redone to front load and whilst that sounds good I'm not sure we should be doing that with too many players.

There is a downside to front loading and that is a player with 8 years experience who would be a RFA will become a FA if he isn't in the top 25% of our players. That could happen with front loading. The other downside is players could be earning stuff all in the final year of the contract and even though they have been paid well initially may be a little pissed off with the wage they will be getting. Problem is solved if we get a star. Lets just get one.

We should be aiming to get Kelly for pick 7 (GWS if after an academy kid will end up picking before us anyway) and next year's 1st.

I'm still hearing that IF Kelly leaves he'll be a Saint, but the noise the last week or so is that many think he's more likely to stay.
That's the deal we would put to GWS, with St Kildas 2017 second coming back. I think GWS knock that back and we settle for 7/8 for Kelly and St Kildas second. Two firsts on their own is too steep a price and I can't see Ameet paying that for Kelly alone under any circumstances.

With Joey now retiring on top of Roo and Dempster I would love to know how the hell we get to 95% of the salary cap if we don't get a star. We have lost close 1.7 million off the cap and there was also a 20% increase in the cap which wont go to certain players on certain contracts. That would make it over 2.5 million we have to give to players who are currently on the list. Many of those contracts will need to be redone to front load and whilst that sounds good I'm not sure we should be doing that with too many players.

There is a downside to front loading and that is a player with 8 years experience who would be a RFA will become a FA if he isn't in the top 25% of our players. That could happen with front loading. The other downside is players could be earning stuff all in the final year of the contract and even though they have been paid well initially may be a little pissed off with the wage they will be getting. Problem is solved if we get a star. Lets just get one.

You don't retire 2 champions when both of them wanted to go on next year.

It's planned. The clubs freeing up cap space for a player or multiple players.

Has to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back