Review 2018 1st Preliminary Final: Williamstown Seagulls v Box Hill Hawks, 16 September 2018, 2.10pm @ NPO

Remove this Banner Ad

Good win by Box Hill Hawks, they deserved to win

But those bloody fu##ing Umpires did everything to try and get Williamstown to win. The Hawks should have won by 4-5 goals.

To quote the great John Kennedy:

"I don't usually say anything about the umpires, and this time I have absolutely nothing whatsoever to say about the umpires".

The umpires cheated like a drug cheating Essendon coach.

Last edited:

Good win by Box Hill Hawks, they deserved to win

But those bloody fu##ing Umpires did everything to try and get Williamstown to win. The Hawks should have won by 4-5 goals.
It was our own fault too. We were easily the better side in the last quarter, attacked relentlessly and kicked point after point. They would take it down the other and kick a goal.
The irony was when we finally received a soft free, we missed from 25 metres out, directly in front (was that Lewis?).
But, a one point win is a one point win. A GF appearance is a GF appearance. I was going to say they don't come around all the time, but you know, we are Hawthorn after all....

It was our own fault too. We were easily the better side in the last quarter, attacked relentlessly and kicked point after point. They would take it down the other and kick a goal.
The irony was when we finally received a soft free, we missed from 25 metres out, directly in front (was that Lewis?).
But, a one point win is a one point win. A GF appearance is a GF appearance. I was going to say they don't come around all the time, but you know, we are Hawthorn after all....
But the downside is that all this success makes it really difficult to accept the occasional time we don't make it. If I was a St kilda fan I would simply mark the draft day on the calendar every year then hibernate until that day. No chance of disappointment of missing finals etc. Life would be so much simpler.
#Hawthornproblems

Six VFL H & A games needed to qualify for the GF so Mirra, Langford, Shoe, Nash and Worpol are eligible of those who did not play today.
Not sure that they will all play but we could have up to 20 Hawthorn players plus a Moore, Hamms & Brolic.
We will take some beating.

But the downside is that all this success makes it really difficult to accept the occasional time we don't make it. If I was a St kilda fan I would simply mark the draft day on the calendar every year then hibernate until that day. No chance of disappointment of missing finals etc. Life would be so much simpler.
#Hawthornproblems
Which would you prefer, at the end of the day? I see virtually no downside to supporting a broader club that routinely makes Grand Finals myself....

If umpire number 20 gets a game next week you just know he was under instruction to get a stand-alone side into the F50. I think he paid one free to BHH and 3/4 of Willi's frees. Disgraceful umpiring.

Credit to Pitto. Wore Meese down and was huge on the long balls late in the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Based on today I hope Hawthorn keep Lovell and Whitecross.
Big hopes for D Moore and Hanrahan.
Renewed faith in TOB and Brand.
The future looks bright.
Brand was pretty good today. He has a lot of redeeming qualities so i do hope we keep him. O’Brien too - seems to have improved a lot. Given Hawks list has already lost Vickers and Cyril i suspect some players will be given another year that may not have done so if we were full now.

The toughness of that final quarter was immense. Not a single player stood by and spectated, shoulders flying everywhere, everyone going for the big grab. Desperate footy, bloody fantastic to watch. VFL commentators good as always - if only the umpires weren’t absolute deadshits it would have been a perfect quarter of finals footy.
I was staggered with the umpiring..

And like you, i was so impressed that everyone stood up. If our only Seniors had done that.

Really looking forward to hearing people's reports if they get a chance. Particularly, I didn't notice too much of a mention of Miles and Cousins in this thread. I managed to hear a little of the broadcast early, and it sounded like Cousins was being tagged. But would love to hear more.

Can't wait for the grand final. Congrats to the BHFC for a great win and making another grand final!

Will be interesting to see how many Hawks will play next week.

I am pretty sure Casey will be rolling a similar side to this week, which wasn't that strong. But they may be thinking to play the carry overs f rom Saturday as we get back Saturday night.

GL HF ALL

I think it's still too soon to mention Meatloaf in football circles.

I reckon I should keep putting him out there as much as possible. Most mistakes the AFL have made could just be swept under the carpet, whereas the Maetloaf one was just too bloody big and embarrassing for them to handle; I think it's good to remind them from time to time, or as much as possible.:)

Will be interesting to see how many Hawks will play next week.

I am pretty sure Casey will be rolling a similar side to this week, which wasn't that strong. But they may be thinking to play the carry overs f rom Saturday as we get back Saturday night.

GL HF ALL
Bring the lube mate , you’re gunna need it !

Really good win in one of the most blatantly one sided umpired games I've seen, though if we lost it also would have been our own fault for those 3 or 4 easy misses in the last quarter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review 2018 1st Preliminary Final: Williamstown Seagulls v Box Hill Hawks, 16 September 2018, 2.10pm @ NPO

Remove this Banner Ad

Back