Prediction 2018 breakout player

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he is our best crumbed outside of Sidebottom. I’d play him up forward in place of Fas.

Can anyone get a stat of the goals return with both Fas and Elliott in the same team?
Just saw it myself. When both play, Elliott kicks a lot more goals than Fas. Only a couple of games where Fas out scores Elliott or is on par with him. I think a roomy offers something different and therefore wouldn’t mind trialling him upfirward in Fasolo’s place

I think he is our best crumbed outside of Sidebottom. I’d play him up forward in place of Fas.
Personally I’ve never really considered how any of our blokes would go in a Schnitzel. Sometimes Bigfooty can be a strange place.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought this year was WHE's breakout year to be honest. A hell of a lot better player than I thought he was.

I don't know about breakout years for our guys, but I think we can expect reasonable improvement from

De Goey
Cox
Maynard
Crisp
Cal Brown
Josh Daicos
Tom Langdon (full pre season & hopefully no injuries)
Moore ( I hope it's in the forward line)

WHE still lacked the consistency. Probably staked a claim as a solid B to B+ but I think he has A grade in him with more consistency week to week and within games.

I love development threads (are you reading Saintly Viewed ?) y'all know I think this word is the most important word in the football dictionary and this brings me to my delivery of epiphany.

I remember back in around 2014 and 15 the whole footy world was looking at our young and raw, undeveloped list and rated it as a future contender like about now. So what happened? Well shitty development has been a large part of the problem, not the whole but a large part.

However stay hopeful I say! The ship has not as yet sailed and in particular this off season gives me optimism, as simple as it may seem but starting pre season with footy in hand even though not skill drills is big IMV and it's not too late in fact far from it to develop our young raw guys correctly this time around.

JDG
MOORE
MAYNARD
WHE
AISH
BROOMY
MURRAY
COX
CRISPY
CAL BROWN
DAICS
SHAZ

These guy's spring to mind straight away as potential B grade and above, JDG, Moore, Bruzzy, Shaz and Daic's junior have the potential to be A grade even elite with the right development. To add some more optimism there is 2-3 seasons of continuity for most of these guy's now and it seems the club sees that and wants to capatilize on their familiarity
Very good post.

Development is crucial, totally agree.
I'd even venture that development has not been our strong suit for a long time.
We've been ok at it, at times, but no sign of elite development.

If I may make one further point, to further your post.

I've made this point a few times here and there, we seem particularly not above par in development of older players. it appears that our elderly get to a cliff and fall off, we don't seem to develop capably the pensioner player well into his 30s.

I'm all for development.

I've made this point a few times here and there, we seem particularly not above par in development of older players. it appears that our elderly get to a cliff and fall off, we don't seem to develop capably the pensioner player well into his 30s.

I'm all for development.
Agreed that our elders do come to a cliff, like all older players. I'm not suggesting that the Daniel Wells and Pendles of the world could improve dramatically with development if at all. Can't teach an old dog new tricks and all that besides it would nigh on impossible to improve the elite such as those 2.

On the bolded though your posts do give the impression - and you're not alone - that players are a certain skill level and that's the end of the road and at best our list currently is meh and can't be improved on through development. Where as I bang on (probably annoyingly so) about the untapped potential on our list and it just needs to be "unlocked" and the uber shitty development we've dished out since our last finals year.

I'm not saying it's the whole problem and you could argue I'd be on the optimistic side with our potential but have conviction we can improve - noticeably so - if we improve our development.

Agreed that our elders do come to a cliff, like all older players. I'm not suggesting that the Daniel Wells and Pendles of the world could improve dramatically with development if at all. Can't teach an old dog new tricks and all that besides it would nigh on impossible to improve the elite such as those 2.

On the bolded though your posts do give the impression - and you're not alone - that players are a certain skill level and that's the end of the road and at best our list currently is meh and can't be improved on through development. Where as I bang on (probably annoyingly so) about the untapped potential on our list and it just needs to be "unlocked" and the uber shitty development we've dished out since our last finals year.

I'm not saying it's the whole problem and you could argue I'd be on the optimistic side with our potential but have conviction we can improve - noticeably so - if we improve our development.
Agree developing and more developing is an ongoing need.
Certainly we can do it better.

Re older players, my biggest point it just comes across that at around 30 it seems that is it. But it shouldn’t be.

Re Pendlebury and Wells agree different category they are Uber elite, they aren’t the issue

WHE still lacked the consistency. Probably staked a claim as a solid B to B+ but I think he has A grade in him with more consistency week to week and within games.

WHE played every game in 2017 (I think ?). That if nothing else demonstrates the club's faith in him. If he's to move up from a solid B/B+ to an A grader - which in the AFL is a big leap - he needs to take the game on more, be more agressive in winning the ball. He is a beautiful one-touch player; he does things that make you think 'how on earth...'. But he's not 'in' the game enough. If its a confidence thing, then 2018 will hopefully be a better year for him. I like to see the ball in his hands, its just not there often.

WHE played every game in 2017 (I think ?). That if nothing else demonstrates the club's faith in him. If he's to move up from a solid B/B+ to an A grader - which in the AFL is a big leap - he needs to take the game on more, be more agressive in winning the ball. He is a beautiful one-touch player; he does things that make you think 'how on earth...'. But he's not 'in' the game enough. If its a confidence thing, then 2018 will hopefully be a better year for him. I like to see the ball in his hands, its just not there often.

Turned 24 late in 2017 and you'd expect him to be more established but his time at GWS was significantly interupted by injuries so I'd expect further improvement again in 2018. Time will tell if that allows him to push beyond B-B+.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction 2018 breakout player

Remove this Banner Ad

Back