List Mgmt. 2018 Draft Day Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

This is not Power bashing - He is only a few months in the job and this is his first draft so I can accept that it is a hard environment to get deals done when surrounded by guys who have been doing this for years.

I just can't believe that people are actually acclaiming what hes has done when really he has not been able to get much done at all, and what he has done is clearly worse on paper than an almost identical trade.

I will cut him slack, but I will not pat him on the back and say good job when I think he could have done better.
For the first time in years, our list manager has decided not to "buy high" when doing pick swaps with other clubs.

I for one, am very happy that Power didn't join with the clubs who have variously given up a future 2nd round selection to move a up few picks in the order this year.

On the contrary, we got maximum value for each of our picks by trading them out for either a double down or a future pick when the time called for it.

And by the way, your call of "could have done better" rings hollow to me if you don't bother to add what you would have done differently.

Reminder that this isn't worth fretting over. We don't need to use a main list spot if we don't need to.

Maybe we want Khamis through to the rookie draft and the flexibility to pick up a DFA after the draft? Can we still do that?

The Essendon mob were laughing so my high level anxiety caused me to think they'd selected khamis to repay us for Campbell/dickson/not trading them JJ

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we get a free hit at him in the rookie draft, so i guess it means that we are content to get him in the rookie draft but we will have a list spot to match if he goes in the main draft. Or we just dont want him...

I'm hoping we are sliding our pick back to the end of the draft so that if a bid comes we can match it but if it doesn't we rookie him and take someone else.

McKenzie and Stack are 2 good players still on the board

Is it possible we are still interested in a DFA as a rookie then? Like a Sam Rowe or someone as depth maybe?

For the first time in years, our list manager has decided not to "buy high" when doing pick swaps with other clubs.

I for one, am very happy that Power didn't join with the clubs who have variously given up a future 2nd round selection to move a up few picks in the order this year.

On the contrary, we got maximum value for each of our picks by trading them out for either a double down or a future pick when the time called for it.

And by the way, your call of "could have done better" rings hollow to me if you don't bother to add what you would have done differently.
It's true that there was a feeding frenzy for high second round picks and if the market was too hot for us to trade up I think we should have aimed to trade 30 out for a pick next year instead of essentially letting it get eaten up by West.
Without really knowing what the projected range of these guys is I would suggest that we then took guys earlier in the draft than we needed to which suggest we did not get value out of that pick 30 at all.
We have essentially turned pick 30 into a 2019 3rd rounder when it could have been a higher pick this year or at the very least a second rounder next year.

If we like him enough to trade out pick 45 just so we have another pick to cover a bid for him, then why don't we like him enough to take him with pick 72?
That trade gave us a 2019 3rd round pick, the pick we passed on was not involved in that.

Plan might have been to hold that pick to match any bids if they do come before 72, otherwise we grab him as a rookie and have one less main list spot next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2018 Draft Day Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back