List Mgmt. 2018 Draft/Trade/FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app[/QUOTE]
Not much earth shattering news - mostly stuff we already know.

Spoke highly of the young leaders - Ah Chee, Fiorini, Bowes and Weller.

Said Dew has been involved in recruiting throughout the year.

Didn't know anything in relation to any concessions we may receive.

Mostly played a straight bat to everything.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Thanks buddy

He’d be a much cheaper version of Mitch McGovern if the SA rumours about our trade interest of #3 for MM have any substance.
A fellow on Facebook tried to convince me that the MM trade rumour originated from inside the Suns. That would appear to give it more credibility, but I don't believe it either way. MM for the WC pick plus an exchange of late picks would at least give Adelaide an extra shot at getting more than one of these SA players.

Realistically every method we have tried to build the list so far has failed. We can't just keep doing the same thing over and over and going all in on exposing 18/19 year olds from the draft. This approach is at least different. And if it gets us rolling up the ladder, then I'm all for it. Critics say we should have used the GWS model. Well, here we go.
Agree Sunny_ From day one I’ve been critical of our decision not to surround our youth with hardened, experience by utilising more of the concessions that allowed us a player from each club. In retrospect the players we did pick up were mostly duds. Let’s just hope it works this time around and we can keep these guys on the park which was a big part of the problem with the original crew - Bock, Krakouer, Brown etc. !!!

Agree Sunny_ From day one I’ve been critical of our decision not to surround our youth with hardened, experience by utilising more of the concessions that allowed us a player from each club. In retrospect the players we did pick up were mostly duds. Let’s just hope it works this time around and we can keep these guys on the park which was a big part of the problem with the original crew - Bock, Krakouer, Brown etc. !!!
Even though we screwed up I still wish we had the same concessions GWS got to start up.

Have they really moved up? huge show of faith/committment if true
Benny comes from Morwell. I don't want to come across as a snob, but Morwell is a shithole. They have coal mines near town and until recently the most polluting coalfired powerstation ever. In 2014 the coalmine itself caught fire and burned for 45 days until it was officially extinguished, burning underground and fuelled by the coal and gas deposits. The fire completely destroyed the air quality in the region, with people 7 times more likely to die of heart attack and rates of acute asthma going through the roof. House prices have plummeted and people's lives were ruined. Unemployment is the highest in Victoria and there is a full blown ice epidemic.

Good luck to the Ainsworths with their move to the GC. It is really devastating to see what has happened to their home town.

A few things to like about Anthony Miles. Firstly, he played his initial seasons with the Giants when they started out including 20 odd NEAFL games, so he knows what it is like to be a foundation player at a startup club. His Richmond career was arrow up until the interchange restrictions capped rotations at 90, which meant more prolonged playing time in 2016 and his form suffered at exactly the wrong time because the Tigers then recruited a fitter version of him in Prestia. He has killed it at VFL level, which is a higher standard of footy than SANFL or WAFL and a level above NEAFL, with 40 odd games bringing his actual total of professional football games to around 150.

Miles wins clearances and lays tackles all day, plus he's polled Brownlow votes in 7 of his 70 AFL matches. He would have been a constant fixture in the Suns midfield had have been drafted here and Richmond will be spewing they have to let such a good depth player go. Dimma's quotes on having to continually tell Miles he wasn't picked each week despite being the best player in the VFL sound remarkably like Dew's comments about Barlow.

Some very very good points you made here "17er

I'll just add a little to this. In the 3 years prior to Prestia & Co arriving at Richmond Miles was a starting 18 player and the entire richmond community rated him highly and he even finished top 5 in our B & F in a finals year
as you mentioned circumstances with interchange,Prestia/Caddy/Graham coming in and the biggest was the game style change that didnt help him but we all still love sniper and he is a champion bloke and clubman just have to see the last training session on the richmond site where all the players lift him up in the air afterwards due to his liston win - Your kids will know what it takes to be an AFL player with Miles in the team

On another note, The Suns 'MUST' Loby the AFL to give you guys extra 5 list spots and an extra $1,000,000 in the cap to effectively rebuild the team and list to where it should be this is paramount to making the suns successful and not a basket case again where players like lynch dont want to leave any longer. The Suns should also request, No demand a PP pick prior to #1 specially if May leaves you guys 100% deserve this and no club would begrudge it apart from the cheats at Carlton

Good luck guys really hope this is the last year of players leaving and its blue sky's from now on

Even though we screwed up I still wish we had the same concessions GWS got to start up.
The AFL has the discretionary powers to give us the #1 Draft pick this year as a Priority Pick in addition to a Compensation Pick for Lynch. The Suns meet all the criteria for a PP, whereas Carlton do not. I'm not saying the AFL will give us a PP before the Draft, just that by their own rules they bloody well can and should, but it is unlikely that they will.

Personally, the one concession that GWS got which I thought helped the most was their extended list and salary capwhich allowed veterans and young players to remain on the list long enough for the first few generations of Drafted players to come through. In fact, that concession is still helping them because they have a number of veterans who they could afford to pay to come to the club who remain at the club to form an established age profile that much more closely resembles established teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NAB AFL Trade Radio‏Verified account @traderadio 6h6 hours ago

Colin Young on Swallow: "He is (committed). Sad losing one of his best mates (Lynch) for next year but he loves the Gold Coast. He's very happy there, there'll be no trade talk."

The AFL has the discretionary powers to give us the #1 Draft pick this year as a Priority Pick in addition to a Compensation Pick for Lynch. The Suns meet all the criteria for a PP, whereas Carlton do not. I'm not saying the AFL will give us a PP before the Draft, just that by their own rules they bloody well can and should, but it is unlikely that they will.

Personally, the one concession that GWS got which I thought helped the most was their extended list and salary capwhich allowed veterans and young players to remain on the list long enough for the first few generations of Drafted players to come through. In fact, that concession is still helping them because they have a number of veterans who they could afford to pay to come to the club who remain at the club to form an established age profile that much more closely resembles established teams.
In 2006 Richmond finished last with Carlton 2nd last and the AFL gave them a PP before our pick which they selected M.Kreuzer with and traded #3 for C.Judd so there is a precedent

Round Pick Player Recruited from League Club
Priority 1 Matthew Kreuzer Northern Knights TAC Cup Carlton
1 2 Trent Cotchin Northern Knights TAC Cup Richmond
1 3 Chris Masten East Fremantle WAFL West Coast

In 2006 Richmond finished last with Carlton 2nd last and the AFL gave them a PP before our pick which they selected M.Kreuzer with and traded #3 for C.Judd so there is a precedent

Round Pick Player Recruited from League Club
Priority 1 Matthew Kreuzer Northern Knights TAC Cup Carlton
1 2 Trent Cotchin Northern Knights TAC Cup Richmond
1 3 Chris Masten East Fremantle WAFL West Coast
I hadn't actually read your post when I posted! 100% agree on the demands, which I have reason to believe have been presented to the AFL post Round 23, though perhaps not the same concessions. GWS were operating at 50 list spots until the 1st year they played finals and had a total of $3 million more salary cap. With extra spots it saves the need for contributing depth players like Lonergan, Leslie and Spencer being cut and allows players like Miles and other AFL standard fringe players to be recruited from strong lists like Richmond's.

Sheedy was a big factor too, really helped set the tone for the club.
Yeah as much as People gave Sheeds shit for being past it, he really set the tone for the players. I remember him giving their players a pre-match address where he yelled something like “DO NOT EVER LET YOUR OPPONENT DOMINATE YOU!!!”. Bluey’s pre-match was probably “OK boys let’s go out and give it to Gaz...”

Yeah as much as People gave Sheeds shit for being past it, he really set the tone for the players. I remember him giving their players a pre-match address where he yelled something like “DO NOT EVER LET YOUR OPPONENT DOMINATE YOU!!!”. Bluey’s pre-match was probably “OK boys let’s go out and give it to Gaz...”
Probably more important was Sheedy being willing to hand over the top job after 2 years, something Mark Williams didn't have the patience to endure, so Leon Cameron had a saloon passage into AFL coaching with a 2 year on the job apprenticeship. He will probably be a 10 year plus coach which usually means premierships.

The AFL surely have to make a public statement soon regarding concessions. Knowing them it will be just before a big positive event such as brownlow or grandfinal so it gets somewhat buried under another football story.

If May leaves it definitely increases the case for a start of 1st round or 1st round selection (following pick 2).

List spots increase and salary cap increase are definitely a must.

I seriously do not want a priority pick at 3.

We need to sort ourselves and not just be bailed out by the AFL.

Another high draft pick does nothing for us. More money to spend on our coaches and academy is what I would probably prefer over anything else.

I seriously do not want a priority pick at 3.

We need to sort ourselves and not just be bailed out by the AFL.

Another high draft pick does nothing for us. More money to spend on our coaches and academy is what I would probably prefer over anything else.
That kind of thinking is reductive. It doesn't serve anybody, least of all the Suns. Priority picks at the top of the draft were a great way for unsuccessful clubs to have a double dip at the best talent available and in most cases those clubs were successful with years.

In 1997 Melbourne got Travis Johnstone and traded their #2 pick to Freo for Jeff White and were in the Grand Final 3 seasons later after winning 4 games.

In 1999 Collingwood got Josh Fraser and Freo got Paul Hasleby with their priority picks (adding Matthew Pavlich and Leigh Brown with picks #4 and #5) and the Pies were in GFs 3 years later while Freo made finals for the first time in 2003 after trading their next priority pick in 2001 to Hawthorn (Hodge) for Trent Croad.

In 2000 St Kilda picked Nick Riewoldt and Justin Koschitzke with the first 2 picks, then in 2001 it got Luke Ball with a priority pick and Xavier Clarke at #5, then they got Brendon Goddard at pick #1 in 2002, which then set the Saints for a revival that had them in finals and doing everything short of winning the flag.

West Coast got Chris Judd as their priority pick in 2001 and they are still benefitting from it today!

Hawthorn got Luke Hodge (traded for), Jarryd Roughead (PP), Lance Franklin (#5), Jordan Lewis (#7) and Xavier Ellis (PP) between 2001 and 2005 and have been winning flags ever since.

More recently, the Western Bulldogs got Ryan Griffen as a priority pick, who after 10 years they traded to GWS with #6 for Tom Boyd and then won a premiership.

Andrew Walker, Colin Sylvia, Brett Deledio, Marc Murphy, Dale Thomas and Tom Scully have all been priority picks and considerably helped the lists in that time.

The AFL have the discretion to hand out a priority pick to the Suns wherever they choose to assist and the Suns have a case this year that fits all of the agreed upon criteria. The framework is there and the AFL needs to acknowledge with decisive action to equalise the competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back