Injury 2018 Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
Matt Buntine and Adam Kennedy continue to work their way back from knee reconstructions, with Buntine around a month ahead of Kennedy in his recovery. Dylan Shiel (shoulder surgery) and was a surprising participant in this week's 3km time trial, while Daniel Lloyd (wrist) and new recruit Dylan Buckley (knee) are also up and running after off-season operations. Star forward Toby Greene is still in a moonboot after breaking his toe on holiday in New York, but he should be running before Christmas. Veterans Brett Deledio (calf) and Ryan Griffen (ankle) are on light duties but will be in full training in the New Year. Top draftee Aiden Bonar suffered a hamstring strain during the week and will miss 3-4 weeks of training.
Rule them out for round one: Matt Buntine (knee), Adam Kennedy (knee)
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-12-09/medical-room-whos-on-the-injury-list-at-your-club

Just seeing if anyone has made it down to a training session or is planning to?
I am interested to see who is in the rehab group and also how much Griffen and Deledio are involved?
Buntine and Kennedy recovering from ACL injuries
Bonar had the Hamstring which was 4 weeks? so maybe back fully training at the end of the month?
Daniels with the meniscus around 12 weeks so training just before the start of the season?

How does Keefe go in the ruck? He’s a good runner.

Honestly not sure, Pies tried him there in VFL last year, the brief reviews I've seen don't flatter him a lot.
He is one I don't see playing too many games, I don't see us going tall to replace Willo, Kennedy, Setterfield & Griffen feel more likely, but only throwing darts at this stage

How does Keefe go in the ruck? He’s a good runner.
I would see Simpson as the preferred option and interesting that Vardy played almost every game for the Eagles last year after a similar amount of time at Geelong and constant injuries and Simpson playing 15 NEAFL games and the 2 AFL games I can see him being an option for most of the season
And from the article I take it that Griffen will be OK for the start of the season and they will take a cautious approach with Deledio

Hi guys, I come in peace and hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it appears Zac Williams has a suspected Achilles rupture. If confirmed will miss a decent chunk of the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Achilles is season done

f5bc5272e4e61abd4196b2824a01ed65.gif

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

FMD. The nightmare that was 2017 ... we haven't yet awoken from! If true, that's a critical loss on top of trading out Nathan Wilson - both our creative/running defenders who have been so good for the last 2 years may now be gone. We'd have to think about dropping Lachie Whitfield back into fill that breach for the season - at least he's reliable by foot (mostly), good run & endurance albeit not the speed/evasion of WiWi. It probably opens up a great opportunity for someone like Isaac Cumming to get a go - it depends how ready he is perceived to be. I grant that Deledio & Griffen are options (as mentioned in others' posts), but my concern is their leg speed. I would think the coaching staff would have to consider other options of from the speedier players - such as trialling Setterfield there; even Zac Langdon perhaps. Very unwelcome rumour; up to now I was appreciating not hearing much from the club as at least there was no bad news!

Sadly looks like your mate was on the money
Shame that is confirmed now, my mate is well within the inner sanctum so and doesn't mess around, especially in relation to injuries so had no reason to believe he wasn't serious. As mentioned really hurts you guys with Wilson leaving. Hopefully you guys can give the flag a real push this year. Have had a soft spot for you guys since my mate has been there, so all the best!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back