2018 Music

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeh they’re well and truly over the hill but I’m keen to hear the new Arctic Monkeys.

Car Seat Headrest my AOTY at this stage. Another big step up, and easily their most consistent LP. Bodys is right up there for SOTY too.
Boggled my mind to learn this is a re-recorded version of an album from several years back when he was maybe 20 or so. And given Teens of Style was essentially a best of from his self-recorded works, he must have already known he wanted to release this in its own right because not one song one was included on that album.

How are Arctic Monkeys over the hill? Their most recent album was their biggest by far and has pushed them on to a stage higher than they've ever been.

It's one thing to say you don't like the direction they've gone in, but the band is at the apex of their popularity right now. Do you think there was this level of hype when Humbug came out?

Judas Priest, Saxon, Portal, Corrosion of Conformity, Necrophobic, DZ Deathrays and Ripe have all put out albums i enjoy this year. Marmozets' new album is OK but i dont like it nearly as much as their debut. The Bennies album is also ok, but also not up there with my favourites from them. New Machine Head is pretty poor but there are a few tracks that IMO save it from being terrible.

Really reallllly enjoying the new Flowertruck album:

That's probably my AOTY so far. The new Donny Benet album is a lot of fun and right up there too though:

The new posthumous Gurrumul album is stunningly beautiful. I need a few more listens to properly digest it, but it's so emotional and bittersweet. Will probably be right up there as one of my favourites for the year:

Haven't had much time to check stuff out outside of Australia this year, but Ought still have one of my favourite albums of this year.

Montero and Cousin Tony's Brand New Firebird both put out great albums too:

I was surprised by how much I liked the new Verge Collection album. Thought on a full-length they would end up going down the Dune Rats path, but it's actually a very solid record. Very very impressed:

Jack Ladder & The Dreamlanders put out a contender for song of the year. I mean, sure, Jack Ladder is basically Nick Cave, but I'm not going to complain when their music is this good. Their last two albums have been excellent, so hopefully their new one ends up being great too:

Plenty of other good Australian stuff has been put out, but I think that's me mostly caught-up.

I've listened to NTS1 and 2 about 15-20 times each in the last 10 days. Incredible that they are still putting out such incredible work so deep into their career now.

Hyped for NTS3 tomorrow.

Anyone hyping this Kacey Musgraves?

The songwriting and lyricism is pretty similar to Taylor Swift's old stuff; common use of dynamics and the structures really rely on production in between verse and chorus. But in places the production is like a Nigel Godrich record (OK Computer/Sea Change especially). It's a nice album.

Agree with the comparison to the early Taylor Swift stuff. I think she has a slightly harder edge than Tay Tay which makes her seem more authentic.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just listened to the Neil Young + Promise of the Real album, Paradox. It is a soundtrack to a film that Neil's GF, Darryl Hannah has just released on Netflix.

It is a ragged album, all over the place in a way that Neil Young does. Some nice touches. A version of Pocahontas, a magnificent 10 and a half minute track called Cowgirl Jam which is essentially a jam based on Cowgirl in the Sand. Neil at his electric best. His voice is more nasally and whiny on the acoustic tracks as he gets older, which gives the album a warm edge. Not great but better then most thing he has released in recent years.

Last edited:
Just listened to Johnny Cash: Forever Words. An album of original material that his family found lying around. They enlisted some amazing talent to put the found words to music and this is the resultant album.

Starts with Cash's good friends Willie Nelson and Kris Kristofferson and features an eclectic mix from Kacey Musgraves to Chris Cornell, Elvis Costello, Alison Krauss, Rosanne Cash and a modern, urban sound with Robert Glasper featuring.

I really enjoyed it. A worthy project.

Feel 2018 has been worse than 2017 so far music wise. Most of the albums I was looking forward to have been somewhat disappointing, though I think the Car Seat Headrest release is genuinely fantastic. Still, there's plenty of good stuff coming hopefully, especially excited for pinkshinyultrablast's release next month.

I think it's just that now the reliable bands are starting to release less and less music as they get older so you can look at band names and not have a clue as to what is available in 2018. The best thing is to just pay close attention to Spotify, apple music, RAGE, double J, Triple R, and try to remember the name of any new music you hear that you enjoy.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

2018 Music

Remove this Banner Ad

Back