Prediction 2018 Rising Star

Remove this Banner Ad

Erm how about the other 50 odd players likely to be in contention in about 2 months?

Voting usually favors 1st year players as well.

Chances are it will be one of Dow, Rayner, LDU, Stephenson or Cerra.

Given Stephenson's form in the TAC Cup since July, he's my pick.

If Witherden comes in averaging 25 at 80% like he did this year, it'll take a super first year player to knock him off.

If Witherden comes in averaging 25 at 80% like he did this year, it'll take a super first year player to knock him off.
Just like Burton and our boy, Australian folk hero Andy McGrath, the greatest AFL player of all time.

I would expect Begley to be first 22 in 2018 but I don't think he will be good enough to win rising star.
He plays a tough position to with the RS (assuming he sits on the HFF). If they fast tracked his move into the midfield then he'd be in with a shot. Could see him having a similar year to SPP if he did - He's a big lad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, Partington and Mutimer being there (zero chance) but no Venables shows the lack of research done for those odds thus far.
How many games has Venables played in the past 2 years (at any level)? It's possible they just don't rate his chances of playing the 18+ games required to win the award

How many games has Venables played in the past 2 years (at any level)? It's possible they just don't rate his chances of playing the 18+ games required to win the award
I was probably making more of a statement on including Parto and Mutimer on the list. Nowhere near the standard to give this award a shake.

I was probably making more of a statement on including Parto and Mutimer on the list. Nowhere near the standard to give this award a shake.
Fair call, I rate Venables btw, not sure he'll be a midfielder at the next level but a dangerous HFF at the least. If he plays 6+ games he should be a shoo-in for a nomination

Harry McKay and Cam Rayner from Carlton should get nominated at some point in 2018. Unlikely to win though.
Carlton supporter crying out for his babies to be noticed before they're even on your list. Don't think either McKay should be in the 'should' category off of exposed form.

Odds are already out for next season. The 2017 thread certainly heated up during and post the award.

Here are the top 20 in the betting.

Witherden $6
Raynor $10
Florent Swans $14
Glass Hawks $14
Bolton Rich $15
Fogarty $18
Higgins $18
Zurhaar Roos $21
Larkey Roos $21
Daicos Pies $21
Brown Pies $21
Graham Rich $21
Stengle Rich $21
Mutimer WC $21
Partington WC $21
LDU $21
Darcy Freo $21
Marshall Port $21
Francis Ess $21
Hayes $21

Any players that should be in the top 20?

2017 McGrath & Burton were the 2 standouts - could we be lucky enough to have Glass v Francis in 2018?? The entertainment value would be through the roof......
That's your opinion, but the class above McGrath and Burton was Charlie Curnow.
He had a slow start to the year, came home like a freight train.
Playing centre half forward so early in his career and making it his own.

That's your opinion, but the class above McGrath and Burton was Charlie Curnow.
He had a slow start to the year, came home like a freight train.
Playing centre half forward so early in his career and making it his own.
My opinion?

McGrath - 51 votes
Burton - 41 votes
Curnow - 27 votes

It was a 2 horse race due to Curnow's slow start. But don't get me wrong - Curnow is a massive chance to be the best from his draft year by career's end. He just was never going to win the rising star this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction 2018 Rising Star

Remove this Banner Ad

Back