Training 2018 Training, Pics etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for all the training info Dom, CN and Dowingham!

Yeah, I know sacrilegious with club royalty, but it strikes me every time I play with Jimmae's team board and auto
fill him up forward. Why is he an automatic selection????
I regularly have the same problem, but he stays in on potential, minimum standard and his smarts. I'd pick him over Lamb, but the problem right now is he's competing with Wright, Garlett, Fisher and Pickett.

Jack is a bloody interesting one.
Saw two sessions on the Sunny Coast in December, was less than forthcoming with Jack observations.
Without gilding the lily, at the risk of calling a spade a shovel............
The first session, Jack pranced and posed and looked nothing more than an entitled pratt, the second two days
later I saw the footballer we all want, desperate and committed and displaying his skills, at a guess, would say
he received a significant serve sometime between sessions.

Can he be a Tom Lynch(Adelaide) or Gunston type or will he be over run as our other big boys develop, the mids
take up rotational spots up forward, or we follow the trend and employ a more mobile, pressure focussed forward
structure.

Yeah, I know sacrilegious with club royalty, but it strikes me every time I play with Jimmae's team board and auto
fill him up forward. Why is he an automatic selection????
Son of a couple of guns or not - you gotta buy in and be professional or you won't make it far! JSOS would probably cop more than his fair share of criticism because of the name and the increased scrutiny that comes with it. Not such a bad thing really - we want players not names.

He’s in danger of becoming an “in-betweener” too slight to hold down a key position and too slow to play a role on the forward flank.

Almost a bit like Brad Fisher in a way, can take a mark and protects the drop zone very well.

He needs to develop another string or two to his bow

Cheers, I reckon some of it could be down to the size of the ground and lack of stands - I'll elaborate a bit more.

- Kennedy does look a bit short of a gallop, and made a couple of mistakes, but everyone did. BUt he did things though that really stood out - couple of strong contents, tackles and some HFF marks under pressure right in front of me
- T-Willy didn't shine to my eye, but nor did he look ordinary, so wasn't in the highlights package - he just did the job as expected...like him a lot - didn't see any long runs
- Jack is a smart footballer and finds space well and got a couple of OK grabs - but he had a litany of stinkers right in front of me when doing the training drills and again when I moved for the match sim. I think your summation of him above i really accurate
- One I forgot to mention was Charlie - training drills looked really good. Match sim looked good without starring. At one stage he ran right under a ball kicked into a pack in the fwd line and did the half fake throw yourself forward like he'd been pushed....Bolts gave him a good burst...pretty funny

Also the score at 1/4 time was 46 to 12 and then about 70ish to 18 at half time so the best 22 defenders like T-Willy, Weiters, Marchy, Jones etc weren't overly busy, hence not in the highlights as much....come to think of it ASOS was there and I can't even remember him!!!

Cheers for all the info.

Just trying to piece together all the tidbits about best 22...

Pretty sure there's been mention of Jones, Williamson, Simpson, Marchbank, Weitering, Lamb and ASOS in the B22 backline so far, at least for cameos, and I'm sure that Plow is there somewhere but just didn't get mentioned (or I've missed it). Guessing there's some rotation involved with Simmo and Lamb but nonetheless Jones, Weits, March, Plow and ASOS seems pretty tall.

There was a brief mention of Mullett (and his kicking) earlier... which 'team' was he in?

RD1 forward line seems fairly straight forward; Levi, Charlie, Wright and Picket locked away. Mixed messages on Jack but he's probably there. Plus resting forward.

Then there's Kreuz and the mid group of Murph, Cripps, Fish, DC, Kennedy, Thomas, possibly Dow. SPS didn't play but will be there. Not sure if I missed Ed's name but he's there R1.

So taking that into account we could have something (vaguely?) resembling this:
FB: Marchbank, Jones, Weitering
HB: Simpson, Weitering, Williamson
C: Ed, Murphy, SPS
HF: Wright, Charlie, Pickett
FF: Jack, Levi, Fisher
FOL: Kreuzer, Cripps, Kennedy
INT: Cuningham, Thomas, & two of Lamb, ASOS and Dow.

Hoping that Lang and Harry only take a few rounds to get their fitness up and start pushing for selection. I'd be pretty happy if Garlett can train/play his way into the 1s over the next 5 or 6 weeks too.

After seeing the photo of Levi in such good nick I'm kinda interested to see if he can improve on his output. Even if his accuracy doesn't change but he's getting to more contests and remaining involved for longer it's pretty feasible that he could kick a few more goals in 2018.

Loving the repeated positive comments about Shumacher's ability too. Could be a very astute pick from SOS & Co.

Sat at ground level last year for the game against Collingwood and there was one passage of play directly in front of me where JSOS picked it up cleanly, stopped, side stepped twice and hit a lead up player lace out and looked a class above. He certainly shows flashes but is the exact type of player that could become a whipping boy if it doesn't all come together. Loving the training reports, starting to feel very excited about the season.

Jack Silvagni has been super impressive in matches so far for someone as young as he has been and in a largely malfunctioning forward line. Contributes in lots of ways. To have 30 games into him so far is a great effort by him and the club.

It will take a good un to pinch his spot imo. Keeper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sat at ground level last year for the game against Collingwood and there was one passage of play directly in front of me where JSOS picked it up cleanly, stopped, side stepped twice and hit a lead up player lace out and looked a class above. He certainly shows flashes but is the exact type of player that could become a whipping boy if it doesn't all come together. Loving the training reports, starting to feel very excited about the season.
JSOS needs more grandma's cooking. He won't be able to compete at AFL level until he puts on the kgs, and muscle at that. He doesn't need to be Levi, but he does need to cover the ground without getting jelly legs. He's got the smarts covered.

If grandma's cooking fails, I'm available as a weight-gain consultant. Very reasonable rates too.

He’s in danger of becoming an “in-betweener” too slight to hold down a key position and too slow to play a role on the forward flank.

Almost a bit like Brad Fisher in a way, can take a mark and protects the drop zone very well.

This. I can't really think of a current successful player who plays like him. Players who play a similar role seem to be elite runners or powerful. Two things JSOS clearly lacks.
My hope for him is that he can play a similar role as Hird did during his days playing forward. They have similar attributes

The speed thing with JSOS seems to be a common theme but is he really that slow? His old man never looked quick but always seemed to find a yard when needed and I think Jack is similar. Granted he does not have 'elite' speed but I think he has a good burst and evasiveness (and smarts to put himself in good spots) that might see him through. Guess he didn't test at the combine so comparison is hard. I really hope he makes it because I think he brings something a bit different to the forward line.

To survive he'll just have to keep using his smarts. He's never going to be quick but he gets into space really well and can take a mark. Keep improving the fitness, get a bit bigger and make the most of his shots on goal (he's gotta get better at his conversion rate).

At HF I could see opposition teams putting a quicker attacking HB on him to make the most of exits from our forward line.

Will be an interesting watch but I could see a day when he is moved out for someone more "dynamic".

The speed thing with JSOS seems to be a common theme but is he really that slow? His old man never looked quick but always seemed to find a yard when needed and I think Jack is similar. Granted he does not have 'elite' speed but I think he has a good burst and evasiveness (and smarts to put himself in good spots) that might see him through. Guess he didn't test at the combine so comparison is hard. I really hope he makes it because I think he brings something a bit different to the forward line.

SOS had unfeasibly long arms but the game was also a lot slower when he played. While speed is not everything quick players who can actually also play footy are pretty handy in today's game.

SOS had unfeasibly long arms but the game was also a lot slower when he played. While speed is not everything quick players who can actually also play footy are pretty handy in today's game.

Billy Hartung is quick and has a massive tank! why didnt we just swap JSOS out for him and be done with any debate on the matter! This shiz would be so much easier if footy was just 400 meter running. That thug mitchell was as slow as treacle and short and fat, apparently in the end it turned out he could play footy tho...

now i'm getting confused as to which side i am debating... ASOS will no longer be required when we upgrade to BSOS

Open Training:-

North Hobart Oval, Argyle St, North Hobart, Tasmania

When: 9am local time, Wednesday February 7, 2018

OpenFeb7HobartHero.jpg

Immediately following training, the boys will be available for autographs and photos along the boundary.

Jack always looks like he has to take a contested mark instead of what should be an uncontested mark, I’m not sure if this is because he is slow or he’s not getting any separation due to poor leading patterns.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2018 Training, Pics etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Back