2019 ALL AUSTRALIAN TEAM

Remove this Banner Ad

Have a feeling only Neale will get picked in the 22.

No way in hell can they leave Charlie out. Not a chance. Leaving Andrews out would also be criminal at this stage.

Never been a tougher year to pick an AA side I reckon. Not too many players across the board have managed to be consistently great all year, particularly up forward.

I have no idea which key forwards will make it - nobody has stood out but they usually pick three of them. Brown, Hawkins and Cameron probably lead the charge although Darling and Lynch rate a mention also.

Also doubt Max Gawn will make it at this point. He's played a few poor to average games, and missed a game and a half too in addition to playing at the 17th placed team. Will likely be squeezed out by a midfielder.

B: Brad Sheppard - Harris Andrews - Dylan Grimes
HB: Tom Stewart - Jeremy McGovern - Zach Williams
C: Patrick Dangerfield - Lachie Neale - Adam Treloar
HF: Michael Walters - Tom Hawkins - Dayne Zorko
F: Charlie Cameron - Jeremy Cameron - Ben Brown
R: Brodie Grundy - Nathan Fyfe - Patrick Cripps
I: Marcus Bontempelli - Travis Boak - Tim Kelly - Luke Shuey

That's my current prediction on what it will be but having said that, the selectors are suckers for numbers so don't write off the likes of Lloyd and Hurn filling the spots of Sheppard and Williams.

Tom Hawkins was an AA lock before the bye, but he is playing his way out of the team. I thought he had a shocker today. He's had a couple of good games since the bye, but many have been below All Australian standard. He was out in front at the halfway mark, but he is now back in the pack.

G.B
0.0 v Port - 5 disp, 0 marks, 4 tackles, 24 pts
2.3 v Adel - 12 disp, 6 marks, 0 tackles, 71 pts
2.1 v W.B. - 8 disp, 3 marks, 2 tackles, 52 pts
1.0 v St K - 11 disp, 2 marks, 4 tackles, 53 pts
2.2 v Haw - 17 disp, 6 marks, 0 tackles, 92 pts
5.2 v Syd. - 17 disp, 7 marks, 0 tackles, 152 pts, 10 votes
v Freo - 14 disp, 5 marks, 0 tackles, 87 pts
2.4 v NM - 16 disp, 13 marks, 1 tackle, 104 pts, 3 votes
v Bris - 13 disp, 5 marks, 2 tackles, 40 pts

If he isn't clunking marks and kicking goals (or creating goals for others) then he can be a liability at times
He isn't as mobile as Darling, who has twice as many pressure acts as the other leading key forwards this season.

Jack Darling might've gone past him for AA CHF. It's close... He has been excellent since the bye.
He probably needs a big game today v Richmond and again next week v Hawthorn to ensure his first AA selection.

G.B
1.0 v Ess - 10 disp, 5 marks, 1 tackle, 42 pts
5.2 v Haw - 17 disp, 6 marks, 3 tackles, 123 pts, 7 votes
v Freo - 10 disp, 4 marks, 4 tackles, 100 pts
3.1 v Coll - 11 disp, 5 marks, 3 tackles, 75 pts
4.0 v Melb - 16 disp, 9 marks, 2 tackles, 125 pts, 7 votes
v N.M. - 21 disp, 7 marks, 5 tackles, 123 pts, 6 votes
v Carl - 13 disp, 5 marks, 1 tackle, 83 pts
3.1 v Adel - 16 disp, 9 marks, 7 tackles, 130 pts, 5 votes

Last edited:
Im quite Confused with people leaving out Elliot Yeo,
Me too. He is a certainty... a dynamic beast of a midfielder... the league's best tackler and West Coast's best player.

There are many many midfielders to choose from. A lot of good players in great form. It can be a bit confusing in trying to sort the best from the very good. People need to ask themselves: who would they select if their AA team was playing a real match against top quality opposition and your life depended on the result... Elliott Yeo or Adam Treloar? (...or McLuggage/Macrae/Boak/Zorko/etc)

It's actually a bit insulting to Yeo, I reckon.

Ridiculous that he was left out last year when he won the best & fairest for the premiership team
The selectors won't make the same mistake this year

Last edited:
Me too. He is a certainty... a dynamic beast of a midfielder... the league's best tackler and West Coast's best player.

There are many many midfielders to choose from. A lot of good players in great form. It can be a bit confusing in trying to sort the best from the very good. People need to ask themselves: who would they select if their AA team was playing a real match against top quality opposition and your life depended on the result... Elliott Yeo or Adam Treloar? (...or McLuggage/Macrae/Boak/Zorko/etc)

It's actually a bit insulting to Yeo, I reckon.

Ridiculous that he was left out last year when he won the best & fairest for the premiership team
The selectors won't make the same mistake this year

I agree Yeo should be in the side but really that question is not relevant - it's just performance based on 2019, not picking a side to win a hypothetical life game. Otherwise Buddy probably gets a gig...

Have a feeling only Neale will get picked in the 22.

Charlie Cameron is an even bigger lock than Neale.

Not that he's been better. But you have to go back to 2014 to find a 50+ goal small forward missing out Betts. That year included big hauls from Buddy and Roughead, Breust outscored him, Nick Riewoldt , while Robbie Gray had the 7th most disposals for the year while kicking 42 goals. Tough crowd that year.

Cameron as =3rd in the Coleman is a lock.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In a way, yeah.

Rounds 1-11 (11 games)
31.91 disposals per game
6.64 clearances per game
5.36 inside 50s per game
6.64 score involvements per game
5.73 tackles per game
3.18 intercept possessions per game
460.27 metres gained per game
111.91 Champion Data Player Ranking Score average

Rounds 12-21 (8 games)
29.38 disposals per game
7.25 clearances per game
4.00 inside 50s per game
5.38 score involvements per game
3.88 tackles per game
2.25 intercept possessions per game
332.38 metres gained per game
104.50 Champion Data Player Ranking Score average

To be fair, has had to change his role slightly in Ollie Wines' recent absence.
It's marginal. but let's not get caught up in form over the last 6 weeks. It's gotta count over the whole season. Some players in contention did **** all in the first 6 weeks.

I agree Yeo should be in the side but really that question is not relevant - it's just performance based on 2019, not picking a side to win a hypothetical life game. Otherwise Buddy probably gets a gig...
It's not just which players have been the FORM midfielders of 2019, but also which players you think are the BEST if they were play an actual all-star game. That's the whole point of the exercise. Elliott Yeo ticks both boxes. (I'm not trying to make a case for Buddy or Toby Greene or Alex Rance)

Yeo has not only been West Coast's best player this season (along with Shuey) but he has also been one of the best performed midfielders in the AFL this season. His form as been terrific. But in addition to that, I think he would be one of the first players picked to represent Australia if they were to play an actual game (along with Dangerfield, Martin, Fyfe, Cripps, Whitfield and Bontempelli)

Same goes for Dangerfield. People who are leaving him out of their teams are kidding themselves.
He will be one of the first picked and might win his 2nd Brownlow this year.

Coaches votes (and no. of games polled)
93 Marcus Bontempelli (14)
86 Tim Kelly (12)
83 Nat Fyfe (13)
78 Patrick Cripps (11)
76 Luke Shuey (10)
73 Lachie Neale (11)
72 Patrick Dangerfield (12)
68 Brodie Grundy (11)
67 Travis Boak (10)
65 Ben Cunnington (9)
64 Jack Macrae (WB)
62 Elliot Yeo (11)

There's not a lot between these guys in terms of consistency. We're splitting hairs, really. So I think it gets back to the old eyeball test and who you think are the BEST.

Kelly, Neale, Cunnington, Macrae, Shuey and Boak are excellent players and had great seasons, but they're probably in line for a spot on the bench. Some of them are going to miss out. (Then you have other players getting pumped up: Zorko, McLuggage, Martin, Prestia, Duncan, Whitfield, Z.Williams, Treloar, Pendlebury, Dunkley, Hill, Walters.) There just isn't enough room in the 22 for every midfielder who had a good season.

The selectors might decide to put Yeo at half back and Fyfe & Danger at half forward in order to ease the squeeze and include more of the best mids. But I was the Australian selector and had to pick my engine room based on 2019 form, I would go with:

B:
HB:
C: Dangerfield - Fyfe - Yeo
HF:
F:
R: Grundy - Cripps - Bontempelli

I: Kelly, Neale, Shuey

Last edited:
One of those weird years when Ben Brown may take out the Coleman, but won't even get an AA look in.
Winning the Coleman with ~65 goals certainly shouldn’t mean you’re a lock, especially when there is a reasonable size pack not far behind. Best all round player for the year should get the gig, be that brown or someone else

Article today about Darcy Byrne-Jones credentials as an all Australian this year. It was just Ken saying he’d put him in the squad however. I hadn’t actually put much thought into it but he has had an outstanding 2nd half of the year and I don’t think would be undeserving. Lacks some of the flash and class of say Adam Saad or Jake Lloyd but he makes up for it by being an absolutely outstanding defender who’s very rarely beaten.
Nvm

I don’t think either of Stack or saad will make the squad as halfbacks - though a small chance.

Who do we think is more likely to take a spot though? Who’s had a better year. I don’t watch enough Richmond to judge stack.

I don’t think either of Stack or saad will make the squad as halfbacks - though a small chance.

Who do we think is more likely to take a spot though? Who’s had a better year. I don’t watch enough Richmond to judge stack.
Saad and it isn't even close. Stack's had a great year as a first year player, don't get me wrong, but Walsh is clearly the strongest in the RS field this year and he'd at best sneak into the second squad.

Remove this Banner Ad

2019 ALL AUSTRALIAN TEAM

Remove this Banner Ad

Back