2019 ALL AUSTRALIAN TEAM

Remove this Banner Ad

One of those weird years when Ben Brown may take out the Coleman, but won't even get an AA look in.

There's a pretty good chance he ends up winning the medal by 7-8 goals, especially if Cameron doesn't play next week. He'll be close to a lock at FF if there's daylight.

Cummings, Riewoldt and Gehrig all won a Coleman and didn't make AA, but none won it by a big amount.

Houli is a chipscab of the highest order. Should not be rewarded for running around on his own getting cheap uncontested marks and handball receives.
It's called work rate it isn't cheap it's what good running half backs are meant to do... run and receive the ball that's how you get a out number!

Tom Hawkins was an AA lock before the bye, but he is playing his way out of the team. I thought he had a shocker today. He's had a couple of good games since the bye, but many have been below All Australian standard. He was out in front at the halfway mark, but he is now back in the pack.

G.B
0.0 v Port - 5 disp, 0 marks, 4 tackles, 24 pts
2.3 v Adel - 12 disp, 6 marks, 0 tackles, 71 pts
2.1 v W.B. - 8 disp, 3 marks, 2 tackles, 52 pts
1.0 v St K - 11 disp, 2 marks, 4 tackles, 53 pts
2.2 v Haw - 17 disp, 6 marks, 0 tackles, 92 pts
5.2 v Syd. - 17 disp, 7 marks, 0 tackles, 152 pts, 10 votes
v Freo - 14 disp, 5 marks, 0 tackles, 87 pts
2.4 v NM - 16 disp, 13 marks, 1 tackle, 104 pts, 3 votes
v Bris - 13 disp, 5 marks, 2 tackles, 40 pts

If he isn't clunking marks and kicking goals (or creating goals for others) then he can be a liability at times
He isn't as mobile as Darling, who has twice as many pressure acts as the other leading key forwards this season.

Jack Darling might've gone past him for AA CHF. It's close... He has been excellent since the bye.
He probably needs a big game today v Richmond and again next week v Hawthorn to ensure his first AA selection.

G.B
1.0 v Ess - 10 disp, 5 marks, 1 tackle, 42 pts
5.2 v Haw - 17 disp, 6 marks, 3 tackles, 123 pts, 7 votes
v Freo - 10 disp, 4 marks, 4 tackles, 100 pts
3.1 v Coll - 11 disp, 5 marks, 3 tackles, 75 pts
4.0 v Melb - 16 disp, 9 marks, 2 tackles, 125 pts, 7 votes
v N.M. - 21 disp, 7 marks, 5 tackles, 123 pts, 6 votes
v Carl - 13 disp, 5 marks, 1 tackle, 83 pts
3.1 v Adel - 16 disp, 9 marks, 7 tackles, 130 pts, 5 votes

And while Hawkins was having a good first half of the season, Darling was comparatively poor, too.

Not really a huge difference overall.

I don't think Darling has done enough to get into the team. But I am just glad opposition supporters are finally noticing how good he is.

Yeo and Sheppard should be the only two West Coast players in the starting 22.

Hurn and McGovern have had overrated seasons.

Interesting to look closer at Dustin Martin's season:

His first half wasn't as poor as advertised, and his second half hasn't been as good as advertised, either. He's not the contested ball/clearance "bull" that people make out, either (compared to a Dangerfield, Fyfe, Cripps type).

It's really only been his last four games that have been truly "elite", both by his standards, and the standards of the top mids this year:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree that Cripps would obviously make the centreline over Macrae, but there's probably a 90% chance Macrae makes the 22 this season. He's jumped to 9th in Player Ratings (if you put stock into that). He's had over 30 disposals in 19 of the last 25 games, and is the only player to go over 40 45 disposals in a game this year. Easily been in the top 10 midfielders for the year
I would have Macrae on a wing in the 22. Absolute gun

I hope so, reckon Hill is a chance for a spot in the squad? Had a pretty Consistent year

Yeah, I think a good chance for the squad but not the team. Ryan would have been a chance before getting injured.

B: Grimes McGovern Stewart
HB: ZWilliams Andrews Rich
C: Macrae Fyfe TKelly
HF: Bontepelli J.Cameron Walters
F: C.Cameron Hawkins Ablett
R: Grundy Cripps Neale
I: Shuey Yeo Gawn Sheppard

Macrae and Tkelly on a wing as they do so much damage on the outside even though they rarely start on a wing.

Couldnt fit Boak, Dunkley, Treloar and Dangerfield but feel they deserve a spot. Rewarding the WC boys who have dominated, especially in the big games.

Dustin Martin doesn't deserve to be in the team. Mediocre season by his standards. Last 4 weeks excellent but there are just too many mids who had a better season than him. eg. Dangerfield, Neale, Treloar, Fyfe, Cripps, Dunkley, Boak, etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

2019 ALL AUSTRALIAN TEAM

Remove this Banner Ad

Back