List Mgmt. 2019 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could someone like Lewis Taylor be a replacement for Paps up forward (I don’t know a huge amount about his forward craft)?

Have to assume he’d be interested in a trade given he only got 5 senior games this year (due to their ridiculous run with injuries).

Not that I want it but since it is looking more likely I wonder how our team will look with Daniher in it, especially when it comes to how we setup our forward line.

I mean assuming (and this is a big if) we have Naismith back that means we have Buddy, Daniher, Reid, McCartin, Blakey, Sinclair and Naismith who are all probably best 22 players, but can we fit all of them into the team?

Would McCartin become a full time defender? What about Reid and Sinclair, both of whom are actually forwards, even if they don't play there much. Would Blakey be a full time midfielder who sometimes drifts forward?

Also what are we going to do in terms of trying to keep the ball in our forward 50 as anyway you look at it our forward line is going to consist of a lot of ocean liners and not a lot of speed boats.

McCartin would go back, Blakey to the wing, and Sinclair might not be best 22.

Could someone like Lewis Taylor be a replacement for Paps up forward (I don’t know a huge amount about his forward craft)?

Have to assume he’d be interested in a trade given he only got 5 senior games this year (due to their ridiculous run with injuries).

Oddly enough I was thinking Lewis Taylor would be a good target as well. He isn't as good as Papley but he is a similar sort of player. I think he would be in our best 22.

McCartin would go back, Blakey to the wing, and Sinclair might not be best 22.

The thing about Sinclair though is he is actually more than a handy forward. When he spends most of the time in the forward line he does kick goals. In an ideal world he would be a second ruckman who would play 65% of the time forward and 35% of his time in the ruck.

Not that I want it but since it is looking more likely I wonder how our team will look with Daniher in it, especially when it comes to how we setup our forward line.

I mean assuming (and this is a big if) we have Naismith back that means we have Buddy, Daniher, Reid, McCartin, Blakey, Sinclair and Naismith who are all probably best 22 players, but can we fit all of them into the team?

Would McCartin become a full time defender? What about Reid and Sinclair, both of whom are actually forwards, even if they don't play there much. Would Blakey be a full time midfielder who sometimes drifts forward?

Also what are we going to do in terms of trying to keep the ball in our forward 50 as anyway you look at it our forward line is going to consist of a lot of ocean liners and not a lot of speed boats.

McCartin to defence. Naismith and Sinclair to fight it out for one spot. Blakey on wing. Buddy forward with Daniher and Reid to share relief ruck duties and play forward.
All mobile tall forwards (pretty sure Reid was 1st for tackles inside 50 this season for the Swans).

McClure this morning still going with.....................

"Betts, Papley & Martin will all be Blues next season, but I don't know how".

Here's how young fella, from that wise man Damian Barrett.

If: Carlton's in are Betts, Papley & Martin respectively.

Then: Carlton's outs are Dow, Weitering & pick 8 respectively.

Should Paps get to the Blues, we'll throw in some of this to ease the Blue's pain.

Oddly enough I was thinking Lewis Taylor would be a good target as well. He isn't as good as Papley but he is a similar sort of player. I think he would be in our best 22.

Would rather persevere with Ronke in the role for at least another year and see if he can produce what he seemed capable of early doors. If not move on and look for another option from there.

McCartin to defence. Naismith and Sinclair to fight it out for one spot. Blakey on wing. Buddy forward with Daniher and Reid to share relief ruck duties and play forward.
All mobile tall forwards (pretty sure Reid was 1st for tackles inside 50 this season for the Swans).

If we get Daniher though we are going to have to rely on good delivery from the midfield because if the ball hits the ground in the forward line then our forwards are going to be at an immediate disadvantage. Only way to deliver the ball into the forward line consisting of elements of Buddy, Daniher, Reid, Sinclair, Blakey etc would be to kick the ball in a way where they can mark it. There will not be a lot of roving going on and as soon as the ball hits the ground it will be coming out of our forward line fast.

If we get Daniher though we are going to have to rely on good delivery from the midfield because if the ball hits the ground in the forward line then our forwards are going to be at an immediate disadvantage. Only way to deliver the ball into the forward line consisting of elements of Buddy, Daniher, Reid, Sinclair, Blakey etc would be to kick the ball in a way where they can mark it. There will not be a lot of roving going on and as soon as the ball hits the ground it will be coming out of our forward line fast.

We had Buddy, Reid, Menzel, Blakey, McCartin at various times this year together as well. In general we were pretty good at converting inside 50s into opportunities.

Agree we need more forward pressure but if you had three of those you can surround them with smalls. One of those talls would likely also be involved in the link up play and therefore it’d be unlikely to see three of them together deep inside 50.

I’d rather Paps.. was continually one of our best & one we def need to keep
I love Papley, one of my favourite current bloods. But I suspect we can probably get similar results out of Gulden within his first couple of years... without Joe, where is our next match-winning key forward coming from as Buddy winds down?

If we can swap Papley for Daniher, it has to be done for the good of the list IMO.

Isn't Ronke more of a forward and Taylor a bit more of a midfielder?

Yeah you are right. With Taylor you get 2 for one, forward and mid but if you are replacing Papley I see him being replaced as a small forward as his time as a midfielder has been pretty much a spare parts Mid. Just another option. Papley is a born forward,its written all over him. Just my opinion.

Yeh my sense is that when you get the opportunity to get a key forward or a midfielder who is truly one of the best in the league, you go for them. Daniher's injury issues are certainly a concern though.

But as good as Papley is, you can find reasonable replacements easily enough. Maybe not a player as good as him but heaps of the best small forwardsare recruited through the rookie draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love Papley, one of my favourite current bloods. But I suspect we can probably get similar results out of Gulden within his first couple of years... without Joe, where is our next match-winning key forward coming from as Buddy winds down?

If we can swap Papley for Daniher, it has to be done for the good of the list IMO.

This. I love Papley as well and I’d prefer to keep.

However it is much easier to find a small forward than a competitive athletic tall (200cm!) who has proven he can play to a high level.

Small forwards are dime a dozen (despite how good Paps is). Not many key talls of that height that can really play.

Try not to play favourites but Papley has been just that for me since he come to the club. Don't want to see him go but you are right, the Franklin replacement has to be looked at. Can't rely on Reid and Tom Mac will probably become a backman even though I still think he could be a beast of a forward once he gains some more size.

Yeh my sense is that when you get the opportunity to get a key forward or a midfielder who is truly one of the best in the league, you go for them. Daniher's injury issues are certainly a concern though.

But as good as Papley is, you can find reasonable replacements easily enough. Maybe not a player as good as him but heaps of the best small forwardsare recruited through the rookie draft.
Agree.

In regards to Daniher's injury concerns I think you need to look at it in a little more detail. People see that he's been out for the better part of two seasons and immediately jump to the idea that he's "injury prone". He developed OP in 2018 but Essendon chose to rehab the condition rather than take the surgery option. He relapsed in 2019 so they bit the bullet and went for surgery. He's in recovery from that and is a chance at a pre-season start. It's all part of the one condition and chances are he'd have been back on the park if they chose surgery in 2018.

JOM and Scully were supposedly shot but they're doing OK now.

If Papley goes, JD comes in, i think this is basically the equation. Swans want to keep a top 10 pick and get JD.
Jones separate - comes down to $$, waiting to see if he gets a better deal, same as Jake Llyod, who was waiting for Dan H and Gary R to be moved on.
Absolute rubbish! 2 reasons: (1) Negotiations were being held all year over length, not $$$ and (2) Lloyd signed on prior to end of the AFL season while both Hannebery and Rohan were employed as Swans.

If Papley goes (still think he’ll stay) and Daniher comes in (yes please) I can see the following positional transitions happening over the next few seasons:

Reid and McCartin spending more time in the backs and Buddy on the wing.

Rampe and Mills spending more time in the middle. I see Rampe as Kennedy’s natural successor.

And Parker spending more time in the forwards. He will have a field day against the opposition’s third defender every time.

The point I’m trying to make is a lot of our solutions can be found within.

If Papley goes (still think he’ll stay) and Daniher comes in (yes please) I can see the following positional transitions happening over the next few seasons:

Rampe and Mills spending more time in the middle. I see Rampe as Kennedy’s natural successor.

And Parker spending more time in the forwards. He will have a field day against the opposition’s third defender every time.

Why would we play Rampe in the middle? He's far and away our best defender. Robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Well the Bob Silton Medal is tonight. Tomorrow the blood letting begins. The delisting, trading and list management moves into full swing.

Who's Gawn?

James Rose: after 5 years at the club James has failed to cement a place in the senior side. His performances at NEAFL level have been outstanding. But there are still problems with his game. A tendency to selfishness at times. He still fails to chase on accasions although this part of his game has improved immensely. I think his problems at AFL level are psychological. But I also believe he has not shown enough to be retained. He will probably be a good player for somebody else if he can overcome his psychological problems at AFL level

Robbie Fox: Does not do enough at AFL level. Very good at the NEAFL level. His best play was when moved to the backs to replace Smithy last year and one game there this year. He seems a natural back pocket/back flanker. Maybe a perminent move back would improve him. But if the club see someone else in the role he's gone.

Darcy Cameron: He will be traded. He is looking for opportunities elsewhere and with the Pies looking like losing Grundy and Mummy looking shot at GWS he will easily get a gig. I think he would probably have been moved on anyway.

Ryan Clarke: Played some absutely atrocious games and then again played some really good games. A mixed bag for Clarke. Do we retain him? I think it depends who is available. We have a lot of run now surfacing on the reserves and Academy. Do we need an outside mid who's disposal is erratic at best?

Joel Amartey: He has performed very well at NEAFL level. But has not managed an AFL game. Will his efforts at NEAFL level be enough? I personally think this bloke is worth persevering with. But will the club think so too?

Zac Jones: Rumours are we have put Zac up for trade. Nothing to do with Zac wanting to go home at all. Gary Rohan all over again. Misinformation coming out of th e club. The oil I get is he is very happy at Sydney but somebody wants to trade him.

Tom Papley: Tom is a Swans boy through and through. But is the lure of home too strong? Well if he wants to go home Carlton won't be anywhere near Wombat Creek, just kidding lol. Are all the rumours true or is this another Ryano episode to get a bigger cut of the cake next time?

Jack Maibaum: There are some on here who will be saying he's an automatic delist. Has not played senior footy after 3 years on the list. Well I think he would have played this year had he not done his knee. I would persevere with him. Reg took time to develop too and look how good he was. There is plenty of upside with this bloke. He is cool with the ball. A very good mark. Opponents do not score much on him. Who has he played against? Patton, Hipwood, Close, Tomlinson, Himmelberg, Day, Lynch, Darren Ewing (NT Thunder FF & winner of leading goalkicker in the NEAFL most years). So just a few good players there. Thr thing is he has either held his own or beaten them all.

Daniel Menzell: Will we keep him for another year? It certainly looks like we will. There is little or no rumour that he is on the chopping block. I am not convinced he has a lot more to deliver. But maybe with a good preseason behind him he might be just the ticket for that forward pocket. A wait and see for Menzell all dependent on who's available.

Toby Pink: The last player picked in his draft year and very much a project player. Started off as a forward and moved back. His work at Full Back this year in the NEAFL has been outstanding. Will that be enough to save Toby from the cut. Probably not. Which is a pity because he is developing rather well. I am impressed with hid endeavour. He just needs to get a bit more mongrel.

Ryley Stoddart: He is going quite well in the reserves. Can't see the club delisting or trading him on.

Jackson Thurlow: For a bloke who was picked at number 16 in his national draft year he has shown very little. His season was lamentable. Did OK early when picked but tapered off and made too many unforced errors. His form in the NEAFL was not particularly exciting either. OK form but not starring as you would expect a number 16 pick to do. I would probably delist him. But I doubt they will.

Durak Tucker: Who? You would be quite welcome to say that. He's the Swamp Fox, never been seen, never been heard. Still recovering from an, ACL. Um. Our doctor and conditioning staff have been woeful at people recovering from injuries recently. Hopefully we will see something of him next year. Hopefully, if his injury is nor perminent then he will have a good preseason and we see him next year. Otherwise he will be delisted.

Sam Wicks: Talk about great budget pick ups. This bloke has grunt, aggression around the ball and is incredibly clever. Last guy taken as a Rookie last year. He and Ronke are the Rookies that you prayed to the universe to give you. He will be retained

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

Rampe in the middle?

There’s one right out of left (mid) field.

Try not to play favourites but Papley has been just that for me since he come to the club. Don't want to see him go but you are right, the Franklin replacement has to be looked at. Can't rely on Reid and Tom Mac will probably become a backman even though I still think he could be a beast of a forward once he gains some more size.
I agree that Tom can become a beast of a forward, only early days but I think that his kicking might stop him from ever becoming a beast of a goal-kicker. With Maibaum being an unknown, McCartin is the only real Grundy replacement on the list, so I think that the back/forward discussion will be decided by necessity.

Personally I can’t see Rampe transitioning to a midfielder now. He is 30 next year so it would be a very short time as replacement for Kennedy. However, I’d like to see him relieved of 1st choice defender duties (but not sure this will happen for a number of reasons, including how good he is at it) and used more as a distributor out of defence.

Can’t see Reid transitioning into a defender at this point of his career, agree with McCartin.

Would also think we’d see Buddy playing deeper later in his career. Certainly wouldn’t expect to see him starting on a wing, but love to see him push up the ground again if his body allows.

Why would we play Rampe in the middle? He's far and away our best defender. Robbing Peter to pay Paul.
Agreed Rampe is our best defender by far.

Hoping Aliir and in particular McCartin can progress and allow Rampe to take over from Kennedy over the next few seasons.

I didn’t say Rampe to the midfield from Rd 1 in 2020....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back