List Mgmt. 2019 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed Rampe is our best defender by far.

Hoping Aliir and in particular McCartin can progress and allow Rampe to take over from Kennedy over the next few seasons.

I didn’t say Rampe to the midfield from Rd 1 in 2020....

Still won't happen. We have mids coming through, why move your AA defender to the middle...

Mills a better shout.

Personally I can’t see Rampe transitioning to a midfielder now. He is 30 next year so it would be a very short time as replacement for Kennedy. However, I’d like to see him relieved of 1st choice defender duties (but not sure this will happen for a number of reasons, including how good he is at it) and used more as a distributor out of defence.

Can’t see Reid transitioning into a defender at this point of his career, agree with McCartin.

Would also think we’d see Buddy playing deeper later in his career. Certainly wouldn’t expect to see him starting on a wing, but love to see him push up the ground again if his body allows.
Good point about Rampe’s age. But he was a late starter which should help get a few more years out of him.

Still won't happen. We have mids coming through, why move your AA defender to the middle...

Mills a better shout.
I’ve always thought Rampe had the most comparable “body shape” to Kennedy in our team and would thrive in the middle.

Agreed we have good young midfielders coming through but I think you need to be mid to late 20s in body development to play the Kennedy role.

I’ve always thought Rampe had the most comparable “body shape” to Kennedy in our team and would thrive in the middle.

Agreed we have good young midfielders coming through but I think you need to be mid to late 20s in body development to play the Kennedy role.

Rowbottom is basically your JPK replacement, forget the other mids for a second, but that's that. We aren't moving a 30+ year old AA defender to play as a mid, it is silly. We need to be patient, results aren't going to happen overnight, we are rebuilding, lets not try and take shortcuts

Rowbottom is basically your JPK replacement, forget the other mids for a second, but that's that. We aren't moving a 30+ year old AA defender to play as a mid, it is silly. We need to be patient, results aren't going to happen overnight, we are rebuilding, lets not try and take shortcuts
Yeah, fair enough. AA defenders don’t grow on trees.

But with his skills, elite kicking, spatial awareness, experience and toughness, I think he could be a late blooming AA midfielder.

Either way, he’s one of the first picked.

Yeah, fair enough. AA defenders don’t grow on trees.

But with his skills, elite kicking, spatial awareness, experience and toughness, I think he could be a late blooming AA midfielder.

Either way, he’s one of the first picked.

If he was 22, I'd be more open to it, at 30 or 31 I'd rather him focus on being the general down back.

Well the Bob Silton Medal is tonight. Tomorrow the blood letting begins. The delisting, trading and list management moves into full swing.

Who's Gawn?

James Rose: after 5 years at the club James has failed to cement a place in the senior side. His performances at NEAFL level have been outstanding. But there are still problems with his game. A tendency to selfishness at times. He still fails to chase on accasions although this part of his game has improved immensely. I think his problems at AFL level are psychological. But I also believe he has not shown enough to be retained. He will probably be a good player for somebody else if he can overcome his psychological problems at AFL level

Robbie Fox: Does not do enough at AFL level. Very good at the NEAFL level. His best play was when moved to the backs to replace Smithy last year and one game there this year. He seems a natural back pocket/back flanker. Maybe a perminent move back would improve him. But if the club see someone else in the role he's gone.

Darcy Cameron: He will be traded. He is looking for opportunities elsewhere and with the Pies looking like losing Grundy and Mummy looking shot at GWS he will easily get a gig. I think he would probably have been moved on anyway.

Ryan Clarke: Played some absutely atrocious games and then again played some really good games. A mixed bag for Clarke. Do we retain him? I think it depends who is available. We have a lot of run now surfacing on the reserves and Academy. Do we need an outside mid who's disposal is erratic at best?

Joel Amartey: He has performed very well at NEAFL level. But has not managed an AFL game. Will his efforts at NEAFL level be enough? I personally think this bloke is worth persevering with. But will the club think so too?

Zac Jones: Rumours are we have put Zac up for trade. Nothing to do with Zac wanting to go home at all. Gary Rohan all over again. Misinformation coming out of th e club. The oil I get is he is very happy at Sydney but somebody wants to trade him.

Tom Papley: Tom is a Swans boy through and through. But is the lure of home too strong? Well if he wants to go home Carlton won't be anywhere near Wombat Creek, just kidding lol. Are all the rumours true or is this another Ryano episode to get a bigger cut of the cake next time?

Jack Maibaum: There are some on here who will be saying he's an automatic delist. Has not played senior footy after 3 years on the list. Well I think he would have played this year had he not done his knee. I would persevere with him. Reg took time to develop too and look how good he was. There is plenty of upside with this bloke. He is cool with the ball. A very good mark. Opponents do not score much on him. Who has he played against? Patton, Hipwood, Close, Tomlinson, Himmelberg, Day, Lynch, Darren Ewing (NT Thunder FF & winner of leading goalkicker in the NEAFL most years). So just a few good players there. Thr thing is he has either held his own or beaten them all.

Daniel Menzell: Will we keep him for another year? It certainly looks like we will. There is little or no rumour that he is on the chopping block. I am not convinced he has a lot more to deliver. But maybe with a good preseason behind him he might be just the ticket for that forward pocket. A wait and see for Menzell all dependent on who's available.

Toby Pink: The last player picked in his draft year and very much a project player. Started off as a forward and moved back. His work at Full Back this year in the NEAFL has been outstanding. Will that be enough to save Toby from the cut. Probably not. Which is a pity because he is developing rather well. I am impressed with hid endeavour. He just needs to get a bit more mongrel.

Ryley Stoddart: He is going quite well in the reserves. Can't see the club delisting or trading him on.

Jackson Thurlow: For a bloke who was picked at number 16 in his national draft year he has shown very little. His season was lamentable. Did OK early when picked but tapered off and made too many unforced errors. His form in the NEAFL was not particularly exciting either. OK form but not starring as you would expect a number 16 pick to do. I would probably delist him. But I doubt they will.

Durak Tucker: Who? You would be quite welcome to say that. He's the Swamp Fox, never been seen, never been heard. Still recovering from an, ACL. Um. Our doctor and conditioning staff have been woeful at people recovering from injuries recently. Hopefully we will see something of him next year. Hopefully, if his injury is nor perminent then he will have a good preseason and we see him next year. Otherwise he will be delisted.

Sam Wicks: Talk about great budget pick ups. This bloke has grunt, aggression around the ball and is incredibly clever. Last guy taken as a Rookie last year. He and Ronke are the Rookies that you prayed to the universe to give you. He will be retained

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree with most of this but Clarke and Thurlow are contracted until the end of next season, so they won't be delisted, and their value for trade is negligible, given that we picked then up this time last year.

I think Clarke has a role as a tagger, so that George can replace Kennedy as no 1 inside mid.

Don't want Daniher if it costs us Papley.

He won't though, Horse won't help himself

Why wouldn’t he (play him in seniors)?

Reid is good enough to be an AFL footballer. He is no star we all concede but more than adequate to be a third tall who can take a contest mark, covers the ground well, is a good tackler at ground level and can pinch hit in the ruck (as well as drop back into defence if necessary).

People still seem bitter he didn’t reach the pedestal some here built for him.

On the fence, I'll let the club make a call. If they have done their own diligence, happy to do the trade.
I've been back and forth about this too, but I reckon we trade this years first for a first next year and then get both academy prospects. Therefore the only player in is Bennell if those rumours are to be believed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been back and forth about this too, but I reckon we trade this years first for a first next year and then get both academy prospects. Therefore the only player in is Bennell if those rumours are to be believed.

Are we not better to trade our next years first round but load up on second and third rounders to accumulate points to pay for Gulden and Campbell?

I love Papley, one of my favourite current bloods. But I suspect we can probably get similar results out of Gulden within his first couple of years... without Joe, where is our next match-winning key forward coming from as Buddy winds down?

If we can swap Papley for Daniher, it has to be done for the good of the list IMO.
Gulden looks a real good'n. Excited!

Agreed Rampe is our best defender by far.

Hoping Aliir and in particular McCartin can progress and allow Rampe to take over from Kennedy over the next few seasons.

I didn’t say Rampe to the midfield from Rd 1 in 2020....
I don't see Rampe as a crash and bash inside mid at all. He's a fantastic rebound defender. I'd want McCartin and Aliir holding down the KPD roles so that Rampe can get back to being third defender like his AA year. That's where he has the most value for us. People have trashed him for not being as good as he was back then but he's been playing oversized players and out of position.

Parkerman’s strange takes delivered with such authority seem strangely familiar.
😉
I just think the modern game requires players to play roles rather than positions. Using Rampe as an example, I can see him thriving in the midfield if we can cover him in defence. Similarly, The Gong makes a great point about giving him the third forward.

When we play Geelong, I’d love to see Rampe up against Dangerfield....

Gee, if we get Daniher, the injury list is going to look mighty impressive.
Do you have a good handle on his injury status? When do you expect he'd be back to full fitness?

This is what I was posting about before. He's rehabbing from surgery and was talking about doing pre-season. Injured now doesn't mean injured forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back