List Mgmt. 2019 FA Targets

Remove this Banner Ad

Just on the topic of the calibre of recruit we should be targeting (eg 1 star vs 2 foot soldiers)....

Here are all the players on recent premiership team lists (2012 onwards) that were recruited from other teams:

Superstars (multiple first rounders): NONE

Stars (cost a top 10 pick): 2017 Prestia, 2016 Boyd, 2015 Burgoyne, Frawley (FA)

Quality players (first 2 rounds): 2018 Redden, Kennedy#, Jetta#, 2017 Caddy, 2016 Suckling (FA), Crameri^, 2013-15 McEvoy#, Gunston, Lake*, Gibson, O'Rourke^, Hale*, 2012 Richards, Mattner

Role Players (3rd round+): 2018 Cripps (J, not P), Vardy, Ah Chee, 2017 Grigg, Houli, Nankervis, Maric^, Hampson^, Miles^, 2016 Stevens, Adcock (DFA), 2013-15 Ceglar (DFA), Spangher, Cheney, Guerra (DFA), 2012 Seaby^, Shaw, Kennedy#, Everitt, Armstrong, McGlynn#, Spangher^, Gordon^

Conclusion: The premiers going back to 2012 have traded in many players, but few were high ticket items (in terms of draft cost or salary). There's contributors across all levels. Some role players have made a big difference, but plenty of spuds too. The list above doesn't stand out as being spectacular recruiting, but it does suggest successful sides don't blow their salary cap on superstar recruits (admittedly, this is limited data).

Notes:

• I have classed the players on what they COST, not what they have produced. Therefore, Boyd is a star (pick 6 plus Griffen). Josh Kennedy (Syd) is a role player (him AND McGlynn cost picks 39, 46 and 70). I know Frawley was a FA, but put him as a star, as he was a high-profile target, one of his team's better players.
  • Looked at players ON THE LIST in premiership year, not necessarily played in GF; years listed are not years they were traded, but years of premiership
  • Key: ^ played less than 5 matches in the premiership year, * would have been FA if FA was around, # trade value not clear as multi-player trade
  • Free Agency changes things somewhat as you can chase good players for no draft picks. But there is still salary cap impact.
  • This list is not perfect as it's hard to locate historical team lists. Also, my attention span and attention to detail can only take so much.
  • We should have recruited Spangher when he retired; guaranteed premiership to follow

Outstanding research.

Thanks

Not a free agent but Stephen Coniglio is my no 1 OFC player at the end of 2019 that i want at Carlton. His 'best' is arguably better than Josh Kelly (who is more consistent).

Other than Cogs, just happy for us to keep hitting the draft, unless another decent back up ruckman is on the market.

Not a free agent but Stephen Coniglio is my no 1 OFC player at the end of 2019 that i want at Carlton. His 'best' is arguably better than Josh Kelly (who is more consistent).

Other than Cogs, just happy for us to keep hitting the draft, unless another decent back up ruckman is on the market.

Coniglio IS a free agent.

One of the reasons he is so appealing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we do chase a free agent next year, there is a good chance the other team will match to try and pry our first pick from us.

Free agency happens before trade week. If only there was some way we could have already downgraded next year's 1st rounder.....:think::think::think:

:D

Got my eye on Tom Cutler at Brisbane - not because of any whispers I've heard, but because he seems exactly the type of player we should be going after.

Victorian lad. Supported Brisbane as a kid, but might be able to dangle a contract and the pull of home. Out of contract next year.

Turns 24 in Feb next year.
191cm, 91kgs.
63 games already.
Midfielder who can play down back.
2018 avgs from 18 games: 20 disposals @74%, 6.5 marks, 2 tackles, 5 score involvements, 430 metres gained.
2:1 kick to handball ratio.

Probably costs us a mid second rounder, which we'd need to create somehow (or perhaps use our 2020 second).

Might be a bit ambitious to think we can pry him out of an improving Lions side, but he's one I'd be working on.

Agree with you would be a very good asset, maturity and experience are vital for our youngsters.

First choice wingman at Richmond - gut feel we could squeeze him in.

Powerful outside runner.
Every Richmond supporter I speak to says he cops flack from everyone for not putting his head over the footy.

Do we want to bring in a player like that on above average coin? Let's not kid ourselves, he's not coming for less than 500k a year.

This isn't a rhetorical question, I'm genuinely interested in what people think about this. Obviously it can't always work out perfectly at every contest, where the inside mid extracts the ball and hands it off to the outside mid.

So should we expect our outside runners to still put their head over it and win their own ball when required? If so, is bringing in Ellis still a sound decision?

Or do you accept that you won't have the right mix at every contest to win the contested ball, but if your structure is adhered to you can accept having the right inside/outside balance X% of the time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back