2019 fixture (news, requests and leaks)

Remove this Banner Ad

The Tigers, Dons, Eagles and Dees have just as hard draws because they play us twice too. I kind of feel we're a bit pathetic trying to play the "Oh we've not yet made it" card when we nearly pinched a Grand Final.

The Pies have a super easy draw when you consider that the players wants are recover. On review of all 22 games we are super well placed.
Of the 22 games we only meet our opponents 3 times where they have a longer recovery, one of those is North coming off the bye.
On 4 occasions we meet our opponents with the same recovery period.

THIS IS THE GOOD PART.

9 times we meet our opponents having had an extra days recovery .
6 Times we meet our opponents having had TWO extra days recovery.

So 15 times vs 3 we meet our opponents having had better recovery.

I feel like now we have exposed Richmond's weakness, we know how to beat them. Just pressure them to the max. There is no doubt we can beat them again. Whether or not we can do it twice next year remains to be seen, but think we can win one of them. Same with WC, maybe not the optus game, but I think we could win the MCG one. Melbourne, Essendon. Bulldogs? No problem.

I feel like now we have exposed Richmond's weakness, we know how to beat them. Just pressure them to the max. There is no doubt we can beat them again. Whether or not we can do it twice next year remains to be seen, but think we can win one of them. Same with WC, maybe not the optus game, but I think we could win the MCG one. Melbourne, Essendon. Bulldogs? No problem.
That, and also kicking instead of handballing when playing Richmond.

That, and also kicking instead of handballing when playing Richmond.

Exactly. We hand balled way too much in games. It may work for sone games but not all. You hand ball too much and you get yourself in trouble when they come and box you in a corner.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The Pies have a super easy draw when you consider that the players wants are recover. On review of all 22 games we are super well placed.
Of the 22 games we only meet our opponents 3 times where they have a longer recovery, one of those is North coming off the bye.

THIS IS THE GOOD PART.

Superb summation. Thank you for posting.

Players and coaching staff main worry is all about recovery times.

One of the funniest parts of the fixture getting released each year is getting to enjoy the tears of the Collingwood haters.

The latest whinge this year from Essendon supporters is that we're only playing in Perth once.
The funny thing is the year we are rated to have the toughest draw, everyone is whinging about our prime time fixtures.

Fck the haters.

Great for the bottom line, but not great for our on-field chances.

Very tough start, and we play WC, Richmond and Melbourne twice....and Essendon who are tipped to be a force next year.

We don't get any of the easybeats like Gold Coast, Carlton or St.Kilda twice.

Looks a very tough draw. But if we are good enough, we'll do well.
I’m not as worried as some.

Melbourne have a soft under belly so we need to smash them to show them we are boss for the second match.

Essendon were touted this year as week; happy to give them two tough matches.

We should win 15 games minimum then a few more and we are set nicely for September.

We need to play like a boss.

Last edited:
Is the saying "to be the best, you have to beat the best"?

I love our fixture personally, especially considering pies play twice in Sydney.

On that note, when did we last not play swans in Syd at least once in the season? Why are we helping them so much?

I’m actually surprised to learn we have the “hardest draw”, at first glance I wasn’t at all worried.

Besides, 2018’s good teams won’t necessarily be 2019’s good teams so who knows how it’ll look at the end of the season.

Plenty of blockbuster games and back up in the bright lights of prime time where we should be!
Winning post.

Love this draw, big game after big game, Bucks should thanking the AFL for dress rehearsing all the players so many times before finals. GWS can only dream of such draws and getting their list as much big game exposure, this is the only reason I see that they haven't taken the next step.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the fact that we won't have any really short breaks between games - maybe it will help us overcome some of our injury prevention/treatment issues, which concerns me more than the actual opponents.

We do have some back-to-back 6-day breaks, but as has been pointed out already, we have a strong majority of games with a day or two of advantage over our opposition.

So overall, on the 'days break' theme, we have:
two back-to-back 6's and three other 6's;
five 7's;
five 8's;
two 9's;
the bye break of 13;
plus whatever the last round ends up being.

In sequence it looks like this:
7 (for Round 2), 8, 6, 6, 7, 8, 8, 7, 6, 8, 9, 13, 6, 6, 7, 8, 6, 9, 6, 7, ?.
That looks pretty handy.

As for our 5 'double up' opponents, only West Coast seems like a bad match up, based on our 0 and 3 record this year, so maybe we need the practice against them. :cool:

Give me a better run with injuries (Lord, please!), and I like our chances pretty much every week if they stay hungry.

One of the funniest parts of the fixture getting released each year is getting to enjoy the tears of the Collingwood haters.

The latest whinge this year from Essendon supporters is that we're only playing in Perth once.
So they're whinging that we don't get to play Freo twice? Debatable if I'd rather play them or the 'dogs twice.

THIS IS THE GOOD PART.

Great post and interesting way of looking at it. This year we seemed to have shorter breaks most weeks so it will certainly help us being the fresher team so often next year.
Still going to be a challenge to get top 4 though. If we end up having 11 matches against teams inside the 8, which seems possible, we’ll probably need to win about 7 of them which will need a lot of improvement from 2018

THIS IS THE GOOD PART.

For all those that liked the above , you’ll like it even more once compared to last years results looking and the recovery between games.

2018:
We played 7 opponents will an even recovery with a 5/2 win record.
We played 8 opponents WHO HAD a better recovery period than us for a 3/5 win record.
We played 7 opponents with US having a better recovery period for a 7/0 win record.

Of the 5 losses to teams with a better recovery period all of those teams were Top 8 teams. Tigers x2, GWS, Cats, and Swans.

GWS Rd 2: Loss, we lost Broomhead within 10min with GWS losing Scully but then it was Moore going down with a hand before half time. In game injuries killing us.

Tigers round 6: loss, we were in it until the last qtr. Reid went off early in the 2nd Qtr and Aish went off with his knee injury leaving us 2 down .
Tigers rd 19: Loss , again in the game till very late . Howe injured in the 1st Qtr and Scharenberg in the 2nd killed our rotations and structure down back .
Well all now what happened against the Tigers Preliminary when we had a good run with no in game injuries.

Cats rd 8: loss, again in the game till very late. Pendles didn’t play but again in game injuries killed us added less recovery . Moore injured in the 2nd Qtr and Phillips knocked out early in the 3rd.

Swans rd 20 : Loss, again in the last minutes after losing Moore AGAIN very early in the game. No one to play on Buddy with all our Key backs out.

So on review of our 5 losses to top 8 sides we had massive in game injuries unlike our opponents and also less recovery time. It shows what a change has taken place in caricature and culture at the Pies in 2018.

GO PIES.

Anybody else just super keen for the season to start already? I just purchased a new jumper for the 2019 season had to get the number 2 on the back, He could seriously be anything that kid.
I guess I’ll just have to watch fox footy until round one

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

But Essendon getting another blockbuster??? They are calling themselves the destination club. I should just tell them the Essendon can have their 5 blockbusters games but every game Collingwood are involved in is a blockbuster game

This is probably spammy so if mods wanna turf it feel free - desktop and mobile wallpapers made by yours truly for our 2019 fixture

(page load warning - click spoiler tags)

Desktop:

NBwK0LP.png

MOBILE:

pdpNozY.png

Remove this Banner Ad

2019 fixture (news, requests and leaks)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back