2019 fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Stupid work got in the way of procrastinating on the computer today. Only just got a chance to see the fixture.

Not a bad draw at all. With this improving group it's hard to see where the first loss is going to come from.

Well said, particularly when every other non-Victorian has basically no less or no more games in Victoria.

As far as the AFL and the club are concerned; that is all we are; just another non-Victorian team playing games in Victoria with no special preferential treatment which both Brisbane and Sydney should be receiving.

I don’t see the club giving two shits either about our Fitzroy connection based off Swann’s comments.
Completely agree with everything u said there. Haven't heard Swan's comments yet, so will have to have a listen. I think unless u were a full-blown, passionate Fitzroy supporter, then it's hard to understand.

People say it's just a game, but for me the Fitzroy football club meant family to me. It was so great to be able to catch up with my extended family at least every second week and share those special moments together. We forged some wonderful friendships with other Roy supporters, which we don't have the same opportunity to do so now. It would be great to be able to catch up with those people more often.

I know we are the Lions from Brisbane now, but we shouldn't forget about the Lions from Fitzroy and in particular, their supporters.

FWIW (not sure if this has been posted)
Fitzroy Brisbane Merger Agreement
7.2 h) The Merged Club will play one half of the total number of home and away games per season at the Gabba and as many Melbourne based away premiership games as possible will be played at Optus Oval or the Melbourne Cricket Ground (but not less than 6) with any other away premiership games at any of Waverley, Optus Oval or the Melbourne Cricket Ground at which Melbourne based members of the Merged Club will have home ground status (in respect of which Brisbane Bears will make a contribution to gate receipts of an amount determined by AFL)

Completely agree with everything u said there. Haven't heard Swan's comments yet, so will have to have a listen. I think unless u were a full-blown, passionate Fitzroy supporter, then it's hard to understand.

People say it's just a game, but for me the Fitzroy football club meant family to me. It was so great to be able to catch up with my extended family at least every second week and share those special moments together. We forged some wonderful friendships with other Roy supporters, which we don't have the same opportunity to do so now. It would be great to be able to catch up with those people more often.

I know we are the Lions from Brisbane now, but we shouldn't forget about the Lions from Fitzroy and in particular, their supporters.
I'm Brisbane based & I can understand the angst in Melbourne. Shouldn't be that hard to give another team the Dogs game and give us 6 in Melb CBD.

FWIW (not sure if this has been posted)
Fitzroy Brisbane Merger Agreement
7.2 h) The Merged Club will play one half of the total number of home and away games per season at the Gabba and as many Melbourne based away premiership games as possible will be played at Optus Oval or the Melbourne Cricket Ground (but not less than 6) with any other away premiership games at any of Waverley, Optus Oval or the Melbourne Cricket Ground at which Melbourne based members of the Merged Club will have home ground status (in respect of which Brisbane Bears will make a contribution to gate receipts of an amount determined by AFL)
Flogging a dead horse we follow brisbane lions now and yes I and my family are long suffering Fitzroy supporters does it hurt yes but having that one xtra game really doesn't make a difference or bring the roy boys back,maybe because I can't make every game these days unlike 30yrs ago

Good to see all the Brisbane based fans are chuffed with the draw; pretty much the same attitude as the club.:rolleyes:

Seriously Dylan... come on mate.

I live 1000km from the Gabba, so regardless of where we play going to a game involves either a very long drive or flights plus accommodation. I dread to think of the cost of being a Lions supporter for the last 20 years.

But I honestly couldn't give a sh*t. For those 3 hours nothing else matters. I can scream and yell and cheer and sulk and just get completely wrapped up in the emotion of a game played by guys I invest in yet don't know.

It's bizarre and illogical. Just like the countless supporters who fly back and forth to go to every game we play. Makes no sense.

It's the life of a supporter.

I don't care who we play or where we do it. It's us vs the VFL. Always has been, always will be. Kicking the dirt and gnashing your teeth will do nothing to change it so why bother.

Just get on board, accept that it is what it is, and watch the Southerner's grimace as we march back up the ladder. That's the best revenge we can have.

Last edited:
Flogging a dead horse we follow brisbane lions now and yes I and my family are long suffering Fitzroy supporters does it hurt yes but having that one xtra game really doesn't make a difference or bring the roy boys back,maybe because I can't make every game these days unlike 30yrs ago
Hang on mate...Flogging a dead horse? Is it too much to ask the AFL to stick by the original agreement? Never said that one extra game will bring the Roy boys back. For me, it's more about seeing the boys live, living in the actual moment and catching up with loved ones. I'm well aware that we follow the Brisbane Lions now. I am a very passionate and loyal Brisbane supporter and have been since the merger.

Once you're through the city, it is only one hours drive up the f'way....shouldn't be that tiring for the kids, get them playing the game of looking for a car with the same number plate as yours. Used that one many times when we were travelling when my kids were little..

..kept them occupied for a long time, by the time they work out the truth, you'll be there!:p

That’s pretty much two hours from the far outer eastern suburbs these days, regardless of the time of day!

It is obvious the AFL or the Brisbane Lions is not minded of ensuring we get 6 games in Melbourne given every other non-Victorian teams also play 5-6 games in Victoria:

- Brisbane (6): including a game in Ballarat
- Gold Coast (5): all Melbourne
- Adelaide (5): including games in Geelong and Ballarat
- Port Adelaide (5): all Melbourne
- GWS (5): including a game in Geelong
- Sydney (6): including a game in Geelong
- WCE (6): including a game in Geelong
- Fremantle (5): all Melbourne

The AFL and the Brisbane Lions could easily have ensured the Lions got 6 (or 7) games in Melbourne by sending a Fremantle, Port Adelaide or Gold Coast (who all have next to no support in Melbourne) to the backwaters of Ballarat and not drawing us to play Hawthorn in Tasmania again for the like the 10th year in a row.

But as Greg Swann said:

Mr Swann, enlighten me please, how is this a "great result" for the club when all non-Victorian clubs except Adelaide get five games in Melbourne?

I'm clearly missing something, because Swann reckons this is a great result for Melbourne fans.:huh::rolleyes::drunk:
So you're saying we got pretty much the same deal as our fellow former Victorian team (6 games in VIC) and the reigning premiers who are probably next best placed to draw a big crowd in Melbourne (6 games).

Why are we so special? We got more Victorian games than ALL the other interstate sides. Consider Ballarat a Victorian bonus, I'll take that over being shipped off for a second game in Perth/Adelaide/Sydney (apologies to those who support the Lions from those States - now that'd be rough!).

The fact is, a number of Victorian sides have now sold off 'home' games (Melbourne, NT; Hawks/North Tassie; Dogs, Ballarat) so it's inevitable we're gonna get caught up in this.

The merger agreement is outdated and the landscape has changed significantly over the last 20 years. The AFL can't guarantee us 6 games in Melbourne anymore, but given the breakdown you've posted above, we're getting one of the better deals!

Last I'd heard we only have approximately 3,000 VIC members anyway. It's great that we've got the support in Melbourne, but we're hardly carrying the club.

I'm more interested in the increased exposure (3 games on FTA, up from 1 in 2018) and having an overall more favourable draw (to hopefully see us win more games!). You're just yelling at clouds Dylan, and you started prematurely before the fixture was even released.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I already do that a minimum of two times a season. I like Brisbane. Wouldn’t mind if we played a game on the Sunshine Coast though.

...but, but how could the Brisbane based fans possibly drive all that way? It's quite a tad further for them to drive there than driving from Melb to Ballarat.

Don't like the start. Probably 0-5 again. But rest of it is okay. I'm expecting Dogs to be shit house. So not worried about that.

If we can improve on last year, where we at times challenged big teams, can see us winning maybe the first couple at the Gabba (where we play our best footy).

It is obvious the AFL or the Brisbane Lions is not minded of ensuring we get 6 games in Melbourne given every other non-Victorian teams also play 5-6 games in Victoria:

- Brisbane (6): including a game in Ballarat
- Gold Coast (5): all Melbourne
- Adelaide (5): including games in Geelong and Ballarat
- Port Adelaide (5): all Melbourne
- GWS (5): including a game in Geelong
- Sydney (6): including a game in Geelong
- WCE (6): including a game in Geelong
- Fremantle (5): all Melbourne

The AFL and the Brisbane Lions could easily have ensured the Lions got 6 (or 7) games in Melbourne by sending a Fremantle, Port Adelaide or Gold Coast (who all have next to no support in Melbourne) to the backwaters of Ballarat and not drawing us to play Hawthorn in Tasmania again for the like the 10th year in a row.

But as Greg Swann said:

Mr Swann, enlighten me please, how is this a "great result" for the club when all non-Victorian clubs except Adelaide get five games in Melbourne?

I'm clearly missing something, because Swann reckons this is a great result for Melbourne fans.:huh::rolleyes::drunk:

Lions_Insider - are you able to comment or ask Swann to comment publicly how Melbourne fans are supposed to be over-joyed with this fixturing?
God forbid on his retirement Swann will say I was always a Blue at heart lol

I was curious too, but going off twitter it was a fellow named Lachie Harris. Must work for the Lions in some form or another.
He was a father/son prospect last year. I think he moved up to Brisbane and played in the QAFL this year? Could be wrong on that though.

Hang on mate...Flogging a dead horse? Is it too much to ask the AFL to stick by the original agreement? Never said that one extra game will bring the Roy boys back. For me, it's more about seeing the boys live, living in the actual moment and catching up with loved ones. I'm well aware that we follow the Brisbane Lions now. I am a very passionate and loyal Brisbane supporter and have been since the merger.
Me too mate but getting the agreement out when merging is of no benefit not going to change anything been 6 games in vic for yrs now I've learnt to accept it

He was a father/son prospect last year. I think he moved up to Brisbane and played in the QAFL this year? Could be wrong on that though.

Community Programs Officer for the club. Organises things like junior clinics. Played a bit for Labrador this year I think.

Remove this Banner Ad

2019 fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Back