Training 2019 Preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

c617b3a2gw1ezrwc8ruoyg20c806v4qx.gif

Imagine if they were stood there looking enraptured; Saints would be within their rights to call in the psych for an evalutation. Especially with mature age players, one would hope they'd just get on with it. Imagine if a young person spent their first week at work tripping out with their hands on their faces that they were actually being paid to be somewhere!

I don't know what you look like when you're listening to someone talk or concentrating, but my face looks pretty similar to those fizogs in the picture. Even "Crazy Eyes" Tom Hickey looked liked that when he was paying attention. It looks like they are paying attention, that's good enough for me.
Nailed it - that is how I am expecting to react when I first glimpse our Ratten forward scheme - no pressure Brett....

Paddy finishing at the same time as Bruce is encouraging. Bruce is meant to be a pretty good runner so shows Paddy is fitter than people think he is.

Same line as Nathan Brown as well, who apparently ran a PB. From the footage it looks like McCartin is finishing fast, and catches Bruce by surprise!

Big year for Paddy.

Essendon have the same problem as last year. No hard inside mids. The pies have issues with talls but have the best and deepest midfield in the afl and that is where the game is won and lost on most occasions. Why apart from Shiel are better than last year especially as the fixture is harder.

On the saints I think Ross will be captain next year. If geary is captain he can’t be dropped. We need a player like him to at least be capable of being dropped

You know yourself that clearances mean little now if you win the ball back. Shiel can win his own ball and so can guys like Zaka, I think they have a side that is easily top 4 and with the players they have brought in over the last 2 years they are a massive under achiever. They need Daniher to straighten them up and they will be a much better side.

I said the Tigers would play finals the year they won the premiership because these they had was too good to not be in the 8. Lots thought they were bottom 8. Collingwood I suggested had a better list than us last year for the same reason. Where clubs finish is irrelevant, you can measure a list and see if the are underperforming. A good enough list will eventually rise. I think there are plenty overachieving too, Hawks were the worst side to finish top 4 in years, they improved their list again though.

It’s far too easy to say the performance of the team is reliant on the quality of the players.

The Tigers have 4 guns. Then a bunch of B graders such as Prestia & Caddy that elevated their game. Then a bunch of GOP’s that adhered to a gameplan that was effective & suited the list. The coaching was executed to perfection.

The Dogs a few years back had a young & immature list. No doubt they had some young guns but if you look across their list they didn’t have anyone that truly stood out. They had an extremely even contribution but what really stood out was their endeavour. Again, the coaching was executed to perfection but the method very different to the Tigers.

What really stands out with recent successful teams is player buy-in. The first step is to develop a strategy that works, then the next step is the players execution. If the strategy is flawed, the second part doesn’t happen. That was obvious for our mob last year. The players just didn’t buy into the coaches strategy, as such, lost confidence in the gameplan & then themselves. Essentially, the coaches lost the players.

For mine, our biggest challenge is the coaches getting the players back. A new season & new line coaches should give the players a new found optimism. But as we’ve seen, it doesn’t take long to lose the players. Must start well, from day 1 of preseason & into round 1 of the preseason comp. We’ll know early how we are tracking.

I’m not writing us off as not having the talent because talent is one component to a successful side. I’d say it’s on the minor side to be honest. Build a sound strategy, players buy-in & suddenly the players become talented.

I’m expecting a big year from:

Josh Bruce - play him out of the goal square ffs. That’s where he’s shown to be at his best & the best deep forward on our list. When he started playing further up the ground & rucking his form significantly dropped

Carlisle - already mentioned by another, when Robbo returns Carlisle becomes so much more damaging as an interceptor & rebounder. His skills are underrated & exquisite

Steele - he’s had his apprenticeship as a run with tagger to develop his defensive game, now is the time to let him off the leash to become our #1 contested mid. Give him the confidence to get ball. Time for him to average 15+ contested pills

Longer - I’m predicting an injury free year & a new found confidence to become our #1 ruck. Reckon we’ll see him back himself in to jump at the footy & kick the bloody thing. It’s obvious for all to see he’s been under instruction to play more as an outlier ruck & not engage in offensive plays. Time for the coaching group to back the campaigner in. He’s cut from the same cloth as Vidovic, he’s a mongrel.

Last edited:
It’s far too easy to say the performance of the team is reliant on the quality of the players.

The Tigers have 4 guns. Then a bunch of B graders such as Prestia & Caddy that elevated their game. Then a bunch of GOP’s that adhered to a gameplan that was effective & suited the list. The coaching was executed to perfection.

The Dogs a few years back had a young & immature list. No doubt they had some young guns but if you look across their list they didn’t have anyone that truly stood out. They had an extremely even contribution but what really stood out was their endeavour. Again, the coaching was executed to perfection but the method very different to the Tigers.

What really stands out with recent successful teams is player buy-in. The first step is to develop a strategy that works, then the next step is the players execution. If the strategy is flawed, the second part doesn’t happen. That was obvious for our mob last year. The players just didn’t buy into the coaches strategy, as such, lost confidence in the gameplan & then themselves. Essentially, the coaches lost the players.

For mine, our biggest challenge is the coaches getting the players back. A new season & new line coaches should give the players a new found optimism. But as we’ve seen, it doesn’t take long to lose the players. Must start well, from day 1 of preseason & into round 1 of the preseason comp. We’ll know early how we are tracking.

I’m not writing us off as not having the talent because talent is one component to a successful side. I’d say it’s on the minor side to be honest. Build a sound strategy, players buy-in & suddenly the players become talented.

Josh Bruce - play him out of the goal square ffs. That’s where he’s shown to be at his best & the best deep forward on our list. When he started playing further up the ground & rucking his form significantly dropped

Carlisle - already mentioned by another, when Robbo returns Carlisle becomes so much more damaging as an interceptor & rebounder. His skills are underrated & exquisite

Steele - he’s had his apprenticeship as a run with tagger to develop his defensive game, now is the time to let him off the leash to become our #1 contested mid. Give him the confidence to get ball. Time for him to average 15+ contested pills

Longer - I’m predicting an injury free year & a new found confidence to become our #1 ruck. Reckon we’ll see him back himself in to jump at the footy & kick the bloody thing. It’s obvious for all to see he’s been under instruction to play more as an outlier ruck & not engage in offensive plays. Time for the coaching group to back the campaigner in. He’s cut from the same cloth as Vidovic, he’s a mongrel.
I agree about Longer, time to back him and that means players passing to him. He's not a bad distributor so use him.

We kind of have Austin pegged as a key defender , but if Roberton isn't available could he play that role?
In his 7 matches his average rebounds per game were higher than everyone else except Roberton and Webster.

Longer has been a massive tease, every now and then he plays a strong contested game and its awesome. He gets NO outside ball. Playing melbourne in 2017 he had 15 contested possessions for 15 total disposals.

Grear post TB. It will be nice to see those players back on the park and in form. Lets hope we also get some real integrity in selections this year and the coaches trusting the players.

Last edited:

I reckon Bruce has beefed up in the off season which suggests he's going to be a KPF not a roaming utility that fills in when he can run back and fills in the ruck.

Longer is literally at the age now where Gawn and plenty of other rucks started to hit the bottom of their upward curve. I reckon he could become a very decent ruck with a good injury run.

Robbo is interesting, he looked a bit lost before his heart scare as we played him less as a roaming rebound back where he looked AA from the year before to more a KPB. Carlisle took the roaming floating tall back role off him.

Steele really played well as a tagger and seems to like the role where he's taken to the play. It's almost ideal for him, the only thing that you could fault him on was he always seemed to be a bit away from where the ball was and like he didn't know were to run before. I'd keep him playing on the gun mids, he eats them up and damages the other way.

I agree on the list quality to a point, momentum and confidence can see shit sides soar and good sides plummet when they lose it.

Except Dusty had his done at some Wank Brothers tattoo studio in Fitzroy, Parks probably used soot and saliva on the end of shiv backwards in a piece of broken mirror. Parks looks proper tough, Dusty goes to Edward Beal salon at Chaddy and asks them to make him look tough, Parks cuts his own hair with a blunt paper scissors.

Looxoory. We had it toof! When I were a lad, we were too poor to afford board games. We played snakes and ladders with real snakes and ladders. Hopscotch was a drinking game. And you tell the yoong folk o' today that and they won't believe you..........................

We kind of have Austin pegged as a key defender , but if Roberton isn't available could he play that role?
In his 7 matches his average rebounds per game were higher than everyone else except Roberton and Webster.

Longer has been a massive tease, every now and then he plays a strong contested game and its awesome. He gets NO outside ball. Playing melbourne in 2017 he had 15 contested possessions for 15 total disposals.

He's very loose so ideally he's not playing a KP role. If he gets games it's a as a loose rebound defender. He's like something from another era. I actually love a guy who backs himself to go get the ball and **** off with it but coaches like accountable robots these days.

Is the dude on the end to the right Robbie Young?
And I'm assuming that's some Kent between the King and Marshall!

Reckon between Young and Parker some poor oppo bastard will be visiting
Hospital next year! Me likey!
Is it just me, or have we deliberately targeted campaigners who don't fit our usual, "comes from a good background" narrative? We seemed to have just got 50 % tougher with Parker, Young and Kent. Max can be the pin-up boy. These three are the Powell, Sammy and Gehrig of this group. Me likey too, Mightymalaka!

Last edited:

I think Austin is an ideal replacement for Robbo if unavailable. Robbo is certainly a better contested mark but Austin adds similar run & rebound & reads the ball well being a good interceptor - like you mentioned. I’d like to see Austin gets his games telly up next season.

Longer has been pigeon holed as a purely defensive ruckman. We’d benefit by giving him a licence to get involved in the play more.

I reckon Bruce has beefed up in the off season which suggests he's going to be a KPF not a roaming utility that fills in when he can run back and fills in the ruck.

Longer is literally at the age now where Gawn and plenty of other rucks started to hit the bottom of their upward curve. I reckon he could become a very decent ruck with a good injury run.

Robbo is interesting, he looked a bit lost before his heart scare as we played him less as a roaming rebound back where he looked AA from the year before to more a KPB. Carlisle took the roaming floating tall back role off him.

Steele really played well as a tagger and seems to like the role where he's taken to the play. It's almost ideal for him, the only thing that you could fault him on was he always seemed to be a bit away from where the ball was and like he didn't know were to run before. I'd keep him playing on the gun mids, he eats them up and damages the other way.

I agree on the list quality to a point, momentum and confidence can see shit sides soar and good sides plummet when they lose it.

Bruce was definitely at his best when he was the man coming out of the goal square & Roo lead far & wide to open up the forward line for him. We really need Paddy playing up higher for the forward line to work effectively. When Paddy & Bruce have played together they seem to get in each other’s way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great points Bro!

As an extension to that I want to see Paddy played at CHF more often so he can get out into some space, crash some packs on 'get out' kicks from HB and use his field kicking skills to hit up Brucey and Skunk. If his tank has improved as some suggest then that's his best position IMO... he has struggled as the deep target with the deplorable foot skills of those up the ground always keeping his opponent in the contest.

He's very loose so ideally he's not playing a KP role. If he gets games it's a as a loose rebound defender. He's like something from another era. I actually love a guy who backs himself to go get the ball and **** off with it but coaches like accountable robots these days.

That's actually the total opposite of what modern defenders do...the best play very loose & it's up to the 'Team Defence' (help from other defenders) to cover opposition forwards.

Austin is actually a very promising zone off & intercept defender... we just need to get the rest of the backline to identify when they need to leave their man to cover others.

Great points Bro!

As an extension to that I want to see Paddy played at CHF more often so he can get out into some space, crash some packs on 'get out' kicks from HB and use his field kicking skills to hit up Brucey and Skunk. If his tank has improved as some suggest then that's his best position IMO... he has struggled as the deep target with the deplorable foot skills of those up the ground always keeping his opponent in the contest.
He also kicks for goal much better from the 40+ range than close on. Getting him further up the field and having deep forward as Bruce's zone would play to both their strengths.

He's cut from the same cut as Vidovic, alright. Slow and useless as a footballer. Vidovic was a Good sniper, that's all though. Never saw him stand toe to toe with anyone. Some people still reckon his absence cost us the '97 flag. What a joke. They ran us off our feet. He wouldn't have got near it. Rumour has it he boasted that he would've knocked out Jarman and Rehn. In his dreams. Not while they were facing him anyway. One of the worst players ever to don our jumper. Spida and Cooky would've got the job done.

Vidovic is still over on SS bigging up his gangster credentials by threatening to punch out anyone who challenges him. It hasn't happened yet, so I suppose the leopard never changes its spots. I wonder if he's still selling hot cars and ripping off the vulnerable (convicted)? Fine piece of work.

He's cut from the same cut as Vidovic, alright. Slow and useless as a footballer. Vidovic was a Good sniper, that's all though. Never saw him stand toe to toe with anyone. Some people still reckon his absence cost us the '97 flag. What a joke. They ran us off our feet. He wouldn't have got near it. Rumour has it he boasted that he would've knocked out Jarman and Rehn. In his dreams. Not while they were facing him anyway. One of the worst players ever to don our jumper. Spida and Cooky would've got the job done.

Vidovic is still over on SS bigging up his gangster credentials by threatening to punch out anyone who challenges him. It hasn't happened yet, so I suppose the leopard never changes its spots. I wonder if he's still selling hot cars and ripping off the vulnerable (convicted)? Fine piece of work.

Stone cold?

I agree about Longer, time to back him and that means players passing to him. He's not a bad distributor so use him.
If Longer is our number one ruckman, we are in trouble. Marshall, and Pierce, please. I'd even give the basketballer a go before Billy. He's had six years to prove himself and has failed. The only reason he's still on the list is they couldn't trade him away. The one year deal says it all. I'm told he has had an attitude problem, which has held back his development. If that's actually the case he should've been sacked. Who needs seven years to adjust their attitude? It's not as though he's shown a skerrick of promise.

Is that right?
Well well well
Always thought Stone Cold was a bit of a loose unit!
Somebody needs to deliver the stunner on him!

Used to like big Lazar!

He's probably not Lazar, but would like the rest of us to think he is. Not that I'd be boasting about being Lazar. I imagine Stone Cold is a morbidly obese, pale, pimply 40-year-old virgin living in his parent's basement, endlessly flailing at the world outside that has treated him so cruelly. A few of my SS buddies reckon he has been single-handedly responsible for destroying that forum.

I would add with help from Simon, BFUSA, the site monitor. I think he failed the entrance exam for the parking officer' job at the local Council, or as a child, he was overlooked for the milk and hall monitoring jobs at primary school. His internalised rage would see him rise to be a despot or master criminal, but I fear, like Common Cold, he lacks the basic intelligence. Instead, he exerts his power on SS (he might love the initials).

He's just ordered a ban on the use of the term "Cho" to describe AR, and has threatened instant suspensions for anyone who uses it, because of the sexual connotations. Look it up in the Urban Dictionary, which also tells us that 'Cho is a nickname for people called Richardson. Who would've thunk it? What a joke. Like that forum itself.

He's probably not Lazar, but would like the rest of us to think he is. Not that I'd be boasting about being Lazar. I imagine Stone Cold is a morbidly obese, pale, pimply 40-year-old virgin living in his parent's basement, endlessly flailing at the world outside that has treated him so cruelly. A few of my SS buddies reckon he has been single-handedly responsible for destroying that forum.

I would add with help from Simon, BFUSA, the site monitor. I think he failed the entrance exam for the parking officer' job at the local Council, or as a child, he was overlooked for the milk and hall monitoring jobs at primary school. His internalised rage would see him rise to be a despot or master criminal, but I fear, like Common Cold, he lacks the basic intelligence. Instead, he exerts his power on SS (he might love the initials).

He's just ordered a ban on the use of the term "Cho" to describe AR, and has threatened instant suspensions for anyone who uses it, because of the sexual connotations. Look it up in the Urban Dictionary, which also tells us that 'Cho is a nickname for people called Richardson. Who would've thunk it? What a joke. Like that forum itself.

Look up Saynta in the urban dictionary!

Wharfie :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2019 Preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Back