News 2019 St Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's is asking to be paid the sort of money top 20 players in the AFL get. Not far off Buddy and Boyd money for a guy who's ben very good this season but is no match winner yet. He's ben pretty well compensated to this point but still wants to be the top paid player at the club. There is a little bit of Luke Ball about it. Connors is an absolute dick, I reckon part of the issues Boyd had were exacerbated by the pressure the enormous money put on him. If he'd moved for less or stayed he probably would have had a long career and made more long term. That kind of "pay me or I'll walk" attitude is still a hard pill to swallow for most Aussie rules fans.

Sorry, but where has he said pay me $900k or I walk?

Reality is it's his manager talking shit as usual to get the best deal for his player.

The club will work out what's fair value and negotiate accordingly. A real will get done that suits both parties.

The way some posters have turned in him like he's some sort of mercenary is disgraceful IMO.

Once again, kindly point out where he has said he will walk if he doesn't get $900k.

The term used my the media is "potentially up to 900k" which means, he isn't going to get 900k but that's where Conners wants to negotiate down from.

It will be around the 750-800k mark, which considering the salary cap increases that mean there will be at least 5-6 players at each club earning that money each year, it's not unreasonable and won't stop us from luring any big name players with a big contract.
Common sense Brutus.

Applauded...

"you" as in posters who are constantly bagging the club for making stupid decisions about trades and drafting.

900k is fair imo

He's one of our best three players.

Is he holding our club to ransom, is he?

What a load of rubbish.

One minute people are stressing about losing him, now people are potting him because he's trying to maximise his income.

Pathetic actually.
We have had quite the morning haven't we?
Huffing and puffing at yourself basically!
The sniping that goes on in here from a couple of puffed up righteous hypocrites is what is pathetic!

They are the only overreactions i can see! Like some sort of contrarian posse! The mods and the cons!
No one said HE was holding the club ransom, just that YOU have pointed out how we have fallen for that before
So with that in mind, would it not be sensible for the club to not reward any future possible demands that
Are overs in what a player is worth, based on both his output previously at the club and what the club has achieved or not in this case
For some time now!
You were rambling about how players were stealing a living at our club not so long ago, yet your happy to let the club roll over and
Just give Billings whatever he wants now in order to keep him!

What a load of rubbish alright!

We have had quite the morning haven't we?
Huffing and puffing at yourself basically!
The sniping that goes on in here from a couple of puffed up righteous hypocrites is what is pathetic!

They are the only overreactions i can see! Like some sort of contrarian posse! The mods and the cons!
No one said HE was holding the club ransom, just that YOU have pointed out how we have fallen for that before
So with that in mind, would it not be sensible for the club to not reward any future possible demands that
Are overs in what a player is worth, based on both his output previously at the club and what the club has achieved or not in this case
For some time now!
You were rambling about how players were stealing a living at our club not so long ago, yet your happy to let the club roll over and
Just give Billings whatever he wants now in order to keep him!

What a load of rubbish alright!
Contrarian posse you say. I think we are looking at it for what it is. Getting worked up over what a player manager has told the media. This was reported over three weeks ago now. Nothing from JB himself to suggest that he isn't signing because he reckons he can get more from the club. In fact all I've heard is media speculation. Back in April and again now. Funny that we believe it this time and only a week before this reported 900k pa, Jay Clark from the HS said he was looking at 800k pa and nobody on here said anything.

Quite obviously this is a play by his manager to get him a better deal (which is his job) so I don't see what the issue is. It's a business and they are professionals and they'll come to an agreement that suits both parties. And you say overs. What constitutes overs? A player is worth whatever a club is willing to pay him.

Fact of the matter is we know absolutely nothing of the situation and the end result will benefit the club, otherwise they wouldn't do it. If he doesn't sign (unlikely) and leaves because his asking price was too high, we'll use that money on quality elsewhere, and if he stays then obviously the club knows the amount they paid him was enough to benefit the player but also keep us in a good position with the salary cap.

Overreactions again :rolleyes:
It's an overreaction from both sides of the fence. I don't understand the logic of being so emotionally invested from either side of the argument when none of us know a smidgen of what the truth is..

I understand it's a forum and we should discuss the topic but not to the point where we are casting dispersions on the club and/or player.

It's an overreaction from both sides of the fence. I don't understand the logic of being so emotionally invested from either side of the argument when none of us know a smidgen of what the truth is..

I understand it's a forum and we should discuss the topic but not to the point where we are casting dispersions on the club and/or player.
Yeah I get that. This stuff happens every year. We shouldn't be surprised. Just the thinking that the club will automatically stuff it up is funny to me.

WE ABSOLUTELY CANNOT LET BILLINGS TAKE THIS MONEY!!!!

I know he's probably our best player and one of only a few with a sniff of match winning talent...
But we need the money to pay our other star players.
Like Steven.

Oh wait never mind.
Strong idea to username ratio

oh yeah they can because they're paying a bunch of these blokes outside the cap. i mean look at the dylan shiel deal. they publicly admitted to him being paid outside the cap
Did they? Would be interested in a link if you can remember where you saw it.

I've been railing against them effectively paying the drug cheats outside of the cap but how are they doing it with Shiel and where are the AFL in sorting it out - its ridiculous if these 'rules' are being so routinely flouted

Did they? Would be interested in a link if you can remember where you saw it.

I've been railing against them effectively paying the drug cheats outside of the cap but how are they doing it with Shiel and where are the AFL in sorting it out - its ridiculous if these 'rules' are being so routinely flouted

dylan shiel landed a job with a financial firm last month. financial firm's owner is an essendon benefactor....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

21kl2ty.jpg

Contrarian posse you say. I think we are looking at it for what it is. Getting worked up over what a player manager has told the media. This was reported over three weeks ago now. Nothing from JB himself to suggest that he isn't signing because he reckons he can get more from the club. In fact all I've heard is media speculation. Back in April and again now. Funny that we believe it this time and only a week before this reported 900k pa, Jay Clark from the HS said he was looking at 800k pa and nobody on here said anything.

Quite obviously this is a play by his manager to get him a better deal (which is his job) so I don't see what the issue is. It's a business and they are professionals and they'll come to an agreement that suits both parties. And you say overs. What constitutes overs? A player is worth whatever a club is willing to pay him.

Fact of the matter is we know absolutely nothing of the situation and the end result will benefit the club, otherwise they wouldn't do it. If he doesn't sign (unlikely) and leaves because his asking price was too high, we'll use that money on quality elsewhere, and if he stays then obviously the club knows the amount they paid him was enough to benefit the player but also keep us in a good position with the salary cap.
Not sure who you think is getting worked up over it! The only ones i see are the ones who come out desperately trying to shoot down
Anyone else who may have the opinion that we would prefer to see a player and his manager show a bit of give and take when it comes
Down to evaluating their proper worth within a club that has displayed plenty of faith and patience with them!

The hysterical cool aid brigade just cannot seem to handle any view that might differ from their own conflict of interest!
So we get the same condescending smart arse comments like Pathetic....Ok...lol or the piece de resistance, the magical rolling of the eyes!

Billings will re-sign - do you think he would take 900k from another club and if he doesn't perform the pressure he would be under would be huge , he will stay a Saint most probably for 800k , a lot less stress staying with a system you know and the people you know.
Just look at the latest players who went looking for greener pastures - Polac , Wingard , May they are all under the pump.

I’ll have to remind everyone, again, that this is likely a misconception.

Given our struggles to meet the cap minimum, and the desire to open up maximum cap space for Free Agents when we were supposed to be challenging, the likelihood of Armitage’s, Stuv’s et al’s contracts *not* being frontloaded is next to 0. As such, they’d most likely be on peanuts, so the retirement/trading of any of these players will probably have little effect on our salary cap position.
Yep, good thinking. I suppose what is meant is that once one of these more experienced guys do come out of contract (which coincides with retirement), then there’s no need to find that wad of cash for the commencement of their next contract. Probably strange, but seems to make sense in my head. :straining:

Presumably almost everyone is front loaded to some degree, so it’s really the first year into a contract guys that are consuming a dispro amount of the cap.

Not sure who you think is getting worked up over it! The only ones i see are the ones who come out desperately trying to shoot down
Anyone else who may have the opinion that we would prefer to see a player and his manager show a bit of give and take when it comes
Down to evaluating their proper worth within a club that has displayed plenty of faith and patience with them!

The hysterical cool aid brigade just cannot seem to handle any view that might differ from their own conflict of interest!
So we get the same condescending smart arse comments like Pathetic....Ok...lol or the piece de resistance, the magical rolling of the eyes!
MM enjoy reading yours and Georges views

positive & negative side all fair points imo

funny how the usual people are quick to come up with childish rubbish

Like, diddums need a tissue
or someone likes a post, some childish name calling like Sheriff Victa lol funny stuff

Maybe if mods worried more about that stuff then people talking about footy even if its not positive Forum would be a better place

But same people complain about threads getting taken off point or people not respecting the forum

Cheers The Sheriff

or someone likes a post, some childish name calling like Sheriff Victa lol funny stuff

Maybe if mods worried more about that stuff then people talking about footy even if its not positive Forum would be a better place

But same people complain about threads getting taken off point or people not respecting the forum

Cheers The Sheriff
Agreed, some absolute rubbish.

Unfortunately can't do anything about the negativity unless it's personal and lately this has been a far too common theme.

Have dealt with the personal attacks and removed posts in this thread over the last 24 hours of a personal nature.

Personally beginning to feel like I can't be bothered posting here anymore. Just moderate the board and write the preview. Too much negativity on here lately and it doesn't help with snide comments or baiting 'likes' from one user to another. I think I am entitled to voice my opinion and call something out if I don't agree with it without getting the 'but you're a moderator' tripe. As long as it's not personal it's fair game.

Ah well. Moving on.

Agreed, some absolute rubbish.

Unfortunately can't do anything about the negativity unless it's personal and lately this has been a far too common theme.

Have dealt with the personal attacks and removed posts in this thread over the last 24 hours of a personal nature.

Personally beginning to feel like I can't be bothered posting here anymore. Just moderate the board and write the preview. Too much negativity on here lately and it doesn't help with snide comments or baiting 'likes' from one user to another. I think I am entitled to voice my opinion and call something out if I don't agree with it without getting the 'but you're a moderator' tripe. As long as it's not personal it's fair game.

Ah well. Moving on.
All Fair points George
Place is a lot better because of you and would be a lot less posters using the forum if it wasn't for you

Cheers The Sheriff
I shot the sherriff

But I didn’t shoot the deputy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back