2020 AFL fixture released

Remove this Banner Ad

And the reason we buy these games is to stimulate the economy via tourism and marketing purposes. The 2 Victorians teams we get either play 4 games down in Hobart or have travelled to Hobart the last 2 years. That is not going to get new visitors to this state. That is disgraceful fixturing for one of your (many) stakeholders. If it is good enough for Richmond and Carlton to travel down here multiple times, then surely Collingwood and Essendon could grace us once with their esteemed presence. Lets not talk about Geelong. How the hell has the AFL not scheduled them in Hobart yet. But this fixture doesn't even a new Victorian team like the Bulldogs down in Hobart. Nope, boring matches, poor crowds and a waste of taxpayers money. This money is better spent getting an actual national team down here(Cough NBL cough).

Heck, watch out North fans, outside the AFLW team, you have 6 games down here next year(4 Hobart, 1 Launceston, 1 pre-season). I just wonder what the AFL is thinking............(again, stupidity)

Ohh, I forgot. Brisbane is a team with Melbourne ties. It would be good if they honoured their agreement with them about playing a certain amount of games in Melbourne and just keep sending them to Tassie because they are "Victorian." hypocritical bull
Some are complaining they have too many Kat Park games close to finals....
seriously why are they even allowed to be in the AFL ?

Until they move the GF to neutral venues, this comp will always just be a Provincial player in the World of Sport.
Manifestly unfair that the tenants of the GF venue get to play there the majority of the season, and their biggest threat travels every second week.
Victoria the progessive state, My arse!
Do you want me to call the wambulance?

It's total arrogance like that which make me glad you got stripped of the Marquee Good Friday Fixture.
It's good to rotate it around so some of the peasant clubs can get some primetime action. The crowd number will be down a bit, but hopefully it'll be a closer game than the 10 goal drubbing we gave North on Good Friday in 2019. We're already involved in enough marquee fixtures that prop up the AFL's bank account.

Have to say that for a Melbourne Based club, North only getting 5 Free to Air games is pretty rough, especially given their demographic and need to get sponsors etc on board.

I can start to see why North fans Have a chip on their shoulder, Good Friday aside, the league rarely seem to do them any commercial favours with the draw/fixture.

It does feel like the AFL consider them to be the Ugly Ducklings of the comp.

All those people melting over the fact they only got 1 or 2 prime time slots when freo haven't had one in 4 years.

Even when we were winning we lucky to get one or two a season.

Even when Richmond, Carlton and Collingwood were crap they were still getting regular Friday night games.

The AFL media hate Freo, always have.

Even when we were winning we lucky to get one or two a season.

Even when Richmond, Carlton and Collingwood were crap they were still getting regular Friday night games.

The AFL media hate Freo, always have.
Lmao you haven’t done anything to deserve to be hated. Pitied like St Kilda, certainly.

Lmao you haven’t done anything to deserve to be hated. Pitied like St Kilda, certainly.

Was talking about the media, not too worried what supporters of other clubs think.

The AFL media facilitate a clear competitive advantage in terms of recruitment and sponsorship to Victorian teams.

Was talking about the media, not too worried what supporters of other clubs think.

The AFL media facilitate a clear competitive advantage in terms of recruitment and sponsorship to Victorian teams.
Aren’t Woodside one of the largest companies by market capitalisation in Australia? Don’t you have the advantage of being one of two sponsorship alternatives in the state from which Woodside conduct many of their activities?

I’d love to know what recruitment and sponsorship advantages Melbourne based sides get when they have to compete with eight other alternatives for the dollar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not the best, not the worst. Would like some more FTA fixtures but it is what it is. Not a fan of the club playing 4 games in Hobart; would prefer that to be a maximum of 3 but I guess the club's board wants the money. Interstate travel is pretty good + 3 MCG games is a nice bonus. I'd still probably expect us to finish in a similar position but if we improve then it's actually a fairly kind fixture - apart from the stretch between 11 and 16.

Aren’t Woodside one of the largest companies by market capitalisation in Australia? Don’t you have the advantage of being one of two sponsorship alternatives in the state from which Woodside conduct many of their activities?

I’d love to know what recruitment and sponsorship advantages Melbourne based sides get when they have to compete with eight other alternatives for the dollar.

Because we don't get access to national TV markets it is harder to attract national companies.
We have very few sponsors outside of Woodside and who's to say that is going to last forever.

Players only want to go and play at clubs that play on Friday night as it helps their brand. Players also hate travelling.

Because we don't get access to national TV markets it is harder to attract national companies.
We have very few sponsors outside of Woodside and who's to say that is going to last forever.

Players only want to go and play at clubs that play on Friday night as it helps their brand. Players also hate travelling.
You say that but you’ve attracted Jesse Hogan and the Eagles Tim Kelly in the last few trade periods. Much bigger fish than the types Collingwood and Carlton have attracted.

Friday night footy is already a logistical challenge due to time differences - you either start early with 5:50pm starts to access that national audience and your own viewer base trying to watch the game live are offside, or otherwise you lose the eyes of that national audience anyway by having a later start time. That’s not really an AFL problem, it’s just a reality of being on the western seaboard.

Even afl.com.au is trolling Essendon's finals record....

"Pros: The Swans play just one finalist from 2019 twice (GWS)..." Adam Curley

Come on, Adam. I know it was a quick exit but Essendon (who Swans play twice) did make the 8. Didn't they?
ive been banned for allegedly derailing threads for less!!

You say that but you’ve attracted Jesse Hogan and the Eagles Tim Kelly in the last few trade periods. Much bigger fish than the types Collingwood and Carlton have attracted.

Friday night footy is already a logistical challenge due to time differences - you either start early with 5:50pm starts to access that national audience and your own viewer base trying to watch the game live are offside, or otherwise you lose the eyes of that national audience anyway by having a later start time. That’s not really an AFL problem, it’s just a reality of being on the western seaboard.

West Australians who want to go home, how many eastern state born players want to come to Perth???
Everyone wants to play at a Melbourne club now, just listen to the AFL media sell a player coming to a big Melbourne club.

Time zone difference doesn't seem to bother the NFL/NBA, Channel 7 are just too cheap and lazy to send their so called Friday night experts across the country. There should be a Friday night Derby every year starting at 7pm WST, that is fair.

2019 H & A wins for each team's double ups compared to their final ladder position:

View attachment 772543

Bulldogs the luckiest by this measure, then Freo & Richmond.

Carlton the unluckiest, then North and Hawthorn.

Otherwise shows the impact of the AFL fixture guidelines.

I actually mean this seriously ... can you possibly do another one for 2019 finals games won by 2020 opponents?

Have a look how many times you see a Freo or even West Coast player on any of the football shows.

West Coast are one of the best and biggest in the comp and even they only get a couple of Friday night games.
99% of player appearances on footy shows are Victorian players because they’re all filmed in Victoria.

We humiliated you at our place while the new coach was still getting his feet under the desk.

Next year we humiliate you in front of all your friends, your family, the children will cry.

No Mr Zurhaar, he's already dead.

The David Bourke Cup is always a highlight of the fixture ... we will try to honour it a bit more in 2020 than we did this year.

Collingwood to travel outside the G 5 times, 3 times @ Marvel then 2 times @ Marvel. Oh Wait! Don't click "post reply".......... too late!
Your question was irrelevant to the post you originally quoted, because you chose to interpret it literally. From my understanding the poster was meaning you shouldn’t consider travelling to a home game as part of your travel.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Regardless they still have to travel don't they?

There's some challenges in every fixture, difficult to determine it's difficulty because we don't know which teams will improve or drop off and by how much.

Perfect example is Melbourne 2018/2019. Would have been considered a hard double up when the schedule was released, but they were walkovers in 2019.

I know ours looks harder on paper, based on expected performance and improvement of the double up teams, and we seem to have short breaks around our travelling games which isn't ideal.

Thing is much of it depends on the luck and form of when you play other teams, so I expect 2020 will play out much the same, the good teams will make it work, the bad ones won't.

Remove this Banner Ad

2020 AFL fixture released

Remove this Banner Ad

Back