List Mgmt. 2020 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always think back to the Eagles in 05-06. Their forwards were pretty ordinary but their midfield was sublime. Made Lynch, Hansen, Staker & co look like a star forward team. Similarly when we won in '12 it wasn't off the strength of our forwards but the midfield. I always feel like a strong deep midfield goes a long way further than a couple strong talls.
Really? We had Barry Hall in '06. Goodes played mainly forward in' 12. O'Keefe wasn't bad either and Moreton was freakish. We had a good forward line but the game was played in a more defensive style than we play now. Did we win the clearances in that game? We won on our drive out of defence. We have for a long time attacked from defence. Slingshot was all the rage and we were the masters of it.

We, had an incredible back 6

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think these players will probably go:

Reynolds: his inability to make any kind of impact due to soft tissue injury have sealed his fate

Maibaum: Injury may have done for Jack too. Acl last year killed his career off and not playing many games this year in the Scratch matches may have sealed his fate. Pity as I think he is a calm fullback in the old style who has great ability.

Knoll: His ball drop says it all really. Ball drop like a drunken sailor. Lacks skills in the essential areas of disposal and decision making. Can take a big grab and ruck skills are good. But just not quite good enough to move to the next level

Gray: His form this year was not only poor it was terrible for an experienced player. If he wanted to make a mark he did, just not the right one.

Stodardt: just too much about his decision making is cringe worthy. He is not quite there. The thing is he has been with us a few years now and if he hasn't made it yet and others, namely McInnerney and Ling, have gone past him it is probably time to let him go.

Rowles: Not even mentioned in dispatches. Gone.

These players would be close to delisting:

Ronke: Being injured has not helped his case this year and may be a victim of reduced lists if that happens

McLean: Hasn't done a lot wrong. A bit short for ruck and not quite good or mobile enough as a tall forward. He would normally be kept as depth but reduced lists will kill depth

Elijah Taylor: Such ability, such skill. Sad really. His terrible indiscretion may see him delisted. I hope there is some counselling he can get to stop his violent outbursts. But the Swans do not suffer violent offenders and I cannot see him being retained. The other thing is he still may get a custodial sentence yet and that would end his AFL aspirations. I know others have come back from those circumstances but I doubt Swans will tolerate his behaviour. They have not before. The other thing is the AFL may cancel his playing Lisence

Reid: This is going to be contraversal but I think we are looking for one draft and one trade key forwards. Sam does not figure in our future and his form has not just been iffy it has been downright disgraceful. If he had not been an experienced key forward he would have been playing scratch matches all year.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Reid and Gray are contracted

I reckon calling Kennedy's reign as captain "disappointing" is harsh. It just so happened to coincide with our list's inevitable fall down the ladder, but we've been far from disgraced in that time.

He dragged us across the line in that fantastic comeback victory against Geelong in 2018, practically single-handedly beating Danger, Selwood, Ablett, and Kelly, and has stood up in big moments (i.e. his bomb from outside 50 in the must-win game against Richmond in 2017).
He was a great player. Really great, not journalist "great". A true warrior to follow into battle. Still excellent.
But he is not the kind of captain to mentor and guide the youngsters.
We will have to agree to disagree. It's all subjective.

Beams is like 250 pounds his AFL career is done.

View attachment 982718
I don't think anyone is suggesting he plays a game, or even has to turn up to the club. But he's on the Pies list next year and they have cap issues. We need extra trades so we don't go into deficit for Campbell and Gulden.

So we trade in Beams, pay half his salary, and get a second/third rounder. It costs us nothing but $$$.

I don't think anyone is suggesting he plays a game, or even has to turn up to the club. But he's on the Pies list next year and they have cap issues. We need extra trades so we don't go into deficit for Campbell and Gulden.

So we trade in Beams, pay half his salary, and get a second/third rounder. It costs us nothing but $$$.
I really don't get this, your saying trade in Beams even though he won't play, pay half his salary, just to obtain a 2nd3rd rounder for points towards the academy pair.

I think going into deficit the following year sounds like a much better option.

I really don't get this, your saying trade in Beams even though he won't play, pay half his salary, just to obtain a 2nd3rd rounder for points towards the academy pair.

I think going into deficit the following year sounds like a much better option.
It wasn't my suggestion, but a lot of people seem to be posting as if they think we'd be trading in Beams to play. I was just trying to clarify the other poster's idea.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

rohan played well for geelong last night. don't understand why we got rid of a role player like him who wasnt on much money other than prejudice about his draft number.
It was more about Gary wanting to go home for family reasons.

rohan played well for geelong last night. don't understand why we got rid of a role player like him who wasnt on much money other than prejudice about his draft number.

His best chance to play well is for a top side, he's not someone you want in a side not firing as he goes MIA

The good ones play well when a team is down too

there’s about 3 of them. True enough one of them is papley and the contrast is there. But Rohan always flew for Mark’s as well, papley doesn’t so it’s not strictly like for like. But we know it’s Not Hoskins Elliott or Stephenson from last night. Not Dan butler on friday. Good as they have been when the side is beaten they too are anonymous.

and Rohan did apply manic pressure as well.

rohan is what he is - a low possession and occasional high impact player who in a salary capped league plays at about the right level if you have a $1m superstar standing next to you.
it’s not properly recognised here but the issue is how do you build 28 good players but still stay under the salary cap. you either have lots of cheap underpaid players or you have expensive ones and role players. I don’t know what Rohan was on but I’d be surprised if it was big money because it’s not like north came knocking at the door offering wads of cash for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back