2020 Draft and Trades Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Just maybe match committee valued Wright less than you. What is distasteful about that? What does it have to do with loyalty? Peter is a great person off the field but you don't get to play games for that. In the end, it's coaches jobs on the line.

FWIW, I watched Wright closely in the last pre-season game against Crows. First 3 quarters were embarrassing from him, the last quarter was good. Personally, I would also play Day ahead of Wright. Difference between them is in effort, contest, pressure, speed (and Day is not fast). Wright slowly jogging around the field, dropping marks constantly, no mongrel and easily pushed aside did not fill me with excitement. I loved his set shot though.

Good luck to Peter. He will need it. Enormous pressure on him playing for Essendon. The last chance.
Well evidently they do. and while I admit to many frustrations with wright and have called for him to be dropped in the past, to say that Day was a better choice than Wright is just stubbornly refusing to admit the match committee was wrong.

In 2019 Wright averaged 5 marks (1.1 contested), 1.2 goals, 0.8 behinds and 6.8 hitouts
This season Day averaged 2.8 marks (0.8 contested), 0.7 goals, 0.4 behinds and 3.2 hitouts

Day went goalless in 10/17 games this season and yet not once lost his spot in the team. That includes a run of 3 games in the middle of the year - two of which we lost by less than 6 points.

He literally performed worse in marking, both contested and uncontested, goalkicking and his backup ruck works was to a lower standard.

Wright is a talented player who's strengths we continued to overlook (his leading, goalkicking and ability to bring the ball to ground) because he had some flaws (not super aggressive and not a big pack marker) despite the guy who took his spot and seemingly kept it with impunity, performing worse in basically every statistical area important to a key forward.

We've had a bunch of 18 year olds sign on for an extra 2 years and feel it's appropriate to toss someone who's been with us through the absolute worst and remained committed to the club, to the curb?

that's what I find distasteful.

Well evidently they do. and while I admit to many frustrations with wright and have called for him to be dropped in the past, to say that Day was a better choice than Wright is just stubbornly refusing to admit the match committee was wrong.

In 2019 Wright averaged 5 marks (1.1 contested), 1.2 goals, 0.8 behinds and 6.8 hitouts
This season Day averaged 2.8 marks (0.8 contested), 0.7 goals, 0.4 behinds and 3.2 hitouts

Day went goalless in 10/17 games this season and yet not once lost his spot in the team. That includes a run of 3 games in the middle of the year - two of which we lost by less than 6 points.

He literally performed worse in marking, both contested and uncontested, goalkicking and his backup ruck works was to a lower standard.

Wright is a talented player who's strengths we continued to overlook (his leading, goalkicking and ability to bring the ball to ground) because he had some flaws (not super aggressive and not a big pack marker) despite the guy who took his spot and seemingly kept it with impunity, performing worse in basically every statistical area important to a key forward.

We've had a bunch of 18 year olds sign on for an extra 2 years and feel it's appropriate to toss someone who's been with us through the absolute worst and remained committed to the club, to the curb?

Take in mind Peter was the 1# target for the majority of last year and Day was the 2nd target this year in shorter games

His stats go up considerably more if you look back to 2016/2017 with Lynch as the #1 target
Considerably? He averaged almost the same marks, disposals and goals. The goal difference is like .25 a game. He just never improved from 2016-17. He was the same timid player who took 300 hours to turn around in circle and despite being usually the biggest man on the field wouldn't crash packs. Power to him hope he does well at Essendon but he wasn't making a difference at the Suns, and wouldn't of made a difference this year. His strength over other KPP was his endurance, but when you move that slow it doesn't make a huge difference

Considerably? He averaged almost the same marks, disposals and goals. The goal difference is like .25 a game. He just never improved from 2016-17. He was the same timid player who took 300 hours to turn around in circle and despite being usually the biggest man on the field wouldn't crash packs. Power to him hope he does well at Essendon but he wasn't making a difference at the Suns, and wouldn't of made a difference this year. His strength over other KPP was his endurance, but when you move that slow it doesn't make a huge difference
agree with all of the above.

also sometimes stats aren't always the best comparison between guys like wright & day. day i feel may have less of the ball but the leadup work he does up the ground and his hands in traffic is undervalued, which doesn't make its way onto a stat sheet. wright's inability to run faster than a 8 year old was infuriating at times, hope he plays well at essendon and that touk doesn't miss him too much!

One thing I do believe.

2MP should have played at least 1 game this year, with a condensed fixture and some poor performances from our forwards.

I also believe that if the coaching staff do not rate him, then the list management team had to do a deal to reduce those $ and spend them somewhere else.

I think match committee had a clear directive - if you don't chase, you don't play.

It's not a coincidence that the 2 highly paid players who are on the outer are/were our 2 worst defensive players.

It's also why our leading goal kicker was dropped during the season.

If a player's game does not match the style the Sun's want to play then you are in trouble.

Not playing proper reserve games hurt players eg Wright and Brodie , swapping team playing with opposition team , emergency , how to play defensive when you just play scratch match .
* Their salary ls the main problem.

Forget the stats (by the way you should adjust for shorter games). I really don' care about them. You could look at pressure acts and son on. All you need to do is to watch players. Either you fit the game plan and style or not. Does the player play his role? SUNS want to play hard running, high pressure, contested game. You can't just slack there, don't pressure, not defend. Yes, Day did not set the world on fire, had several poor games, had several very good games but he competed, halved contests, bring the ball down.

Yes, playing the same team in most games was frustrating sometimes but I am comfortable with 'building synergy' approach with future in mind.

Ultimately, the list management, coach build the team to win it all as they see fit. At the moment, I am pretty happy what we got. We accumulated enormous talent. They just need to mature together.

I just don't accept the idea that if player is not selected it means that the player was tossed to the curb. We can disagree how we see players as fans but in the end it's the part of the footy that some players miss out. It does not mean any disrespect. Coaches see players every day, surely they know players 10x better and their job will be on the line if we don't improve.

Hope nothing happen today , i wonder Cameron want to use future pick for Aiden Fyfe and pescud if go undraft this year . As much as other club interview them all of them got limited spot apart from North Melbourne .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well the rookie list remains unchanged however we lose 3 main list spots...

We have had 6 main list players out Atkins, Markov in so looks like we will only take the one pick the draft based n that article
1 to the draft and the rest pre-listed, I guess? Unless they have to match bids from rival clubs for academy players during the draft.

Well the rookie list remains unchanged however we lose 3 main list spots...

We have had 6 main list players out Atkins, Markov in so looks like we will only take the one pick the draft based n that article

Think we will have 50 all up , Cameron said the cuts will be pro rata , ie the lists have been reduced by three for other teams so ours should go from 53 to 50

Think we will have 50 all up , Cameron said the cuts will be pro rata , ie the lists have been reduced by three for other teams so ours should go from 53 to 50
50 is my prediction too.

At present, 43 players - 36 primary + 7 rookies ( Budarick, Holman, Murtagh, Conroy, Rosas, Towey, Ace). Holman will swap place with Harbrow. Add pick 5 to primary list and that's 37 primary -> total 44 players.

So it should be 6 rookie spots available. Add Jeffrey and Davies -> 4 rookie spots left.

I don't believe any current rookies have to be moved to primary list except Holman.

SUNS could always move players like Murdoch, Smith to rookie list to create additional primary spots.

In my opinion, SUNS many end up with too many kids on the rookie list. Who will develop them in this new environment with limited personnel, resources?
I would only pre-list real talent with a good chance to make it in AFL. Possibly only Davies, Jeffrey and Pescud? That would be total 47 players on the list. But I can't really assess academy kids. The rest can prove themselves in VFL, other teams. SUNS can always lure them home :)

Last edited:
50 is my prediction too.

At present, 43 players - 36 primary + 7 rookies ( Budarick, Holman, Murtagh, Conroy, Rosas, Towey, Ace). Holman will swap place with Harbrow. Add pick 5 to primary list and that's 37 primary -> total 44 players.

So it should be 6 rookie spots available. Add Jeffrey and Davies -> 4 rookie spots left.

I don't believe any current rookies have to be moved to primary list except Holman.

SUNS could always move players like Murdoch, Smith to rookie list to create additional primary spots.

In my opinion, SUNS many end up with too many kids on the rookie list. Who will develop them in this new environment with limited personnel, resources?
I would only pre-list real talent with a good chance to make it in AFL. Possibly only Davies, Jeffrey and Pescud? That would be total 47 players on the list. But I can't really assess academy kids. The rest can prove themselves in VFL, other teams. SUNS can always lure them home :)

Budarick, Holman, Conroy, Rosas all need to be moved to senior list under AFL rules, there are 4 development players in the squad that have barely played the game so I think we should use the full 50

Budarick, Holman, Conroy, Rosas all need to be moved to senior list under AFL rules, there are 4 development players in the squad that have barely played the game so I think we should use the full 50
I would be interested to see the rule. I did not see anything in public domain. I assume you're talking about a specific AFL rule covering SUNS pre-listed rookies. General AFL rookie rules allow players to stay on the rookie list multiple years. Up to 3 years, I believe (too lazy to search for the rule).

Last edited:
If GCS only take one player in the draft then need to upgrade 2 players in the rookie lists not four. Hawthorn do that few year ago . I think you get confuse with senior list rule .
Players in senior list that delisted or traded
1) Jesse Joyce (Atkins )
2) Pearce Henley ( Markov)
3) miles ( top 5 pick)
*4) Corey Ellis ( not sure on senor or rookie list )
5) GHS ( buddarick )
6) Peter Wright ( ? )

Possible to relegated to rookie list if 37 senior list is exceed before list lodgement .

1) harbrow
2) Murdoch
3) Holman

Last edited:
If GCS only take one player in the draft then need to upgrade 2 players in the rookie lists not four. Hawthorn do that few year ago . I think you get confuse with senior list rule .
Have been told that the three rookies that were prelisted have to be elevated this year as part of their prelisting (ie can only be a rookie one year) plus Holman has been a rookie for four so has to be elevated

Remove this Banner Ad

2020 Draft and Trades Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back