Play Nice 2020 Pre-Season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

So, training...

Went down this morning even though there was no scheduled session. Grabbed a coffee from Electric Bean and headed to my spot on the "rehab bank".

The rehab / modified training group were:
  • Alex Pearce - looks really fit and mobile, was doing a lot of agility work sprinkled in with some kicking and some laps
  • David Mundy - same as Alex Pearce, they look to be at about the same stage. Both look like they could play tomorrow, but obviuously have some boxes left to tick off
  • Stefan Giro - He is really starting to ramp up his running volumes. At one stage they were running fartlec laps and his sprints were really swift. Something tells me he is a way off yet, and probably not best 22 in any event.
  • Hayden Young - Mostly running laps with some kick to kick thrown in. His body language doesn't look really upbeat to me and he was gazing longingly at the guys doing full field sims. I don't know if he is unhappy because he thinks he should be in the main group or he is more injured than we know.
  • Nathan Wilson - working with Alex Pearce and Dave Mundy but to me he looks a bit behind those guys, just a gut feeling.
  • Sam Switkowski - mainly just running laps, and kick to kick but was told no more than 30 metre kicks. Still a ways off by the look of it.
  • Leno Thomas - OK, I try to not bag out our players, but I think there might be an attitude problem with Leno. Quite apart from the recent DUI, he just doesn't look as engage as most of the guys do. At one stage the trainer sent him off to put some footy boots on - surely he would know what footwear he needs. Then in a kick to kick with Switta, he really looked as if he didn't care if the ball went to Switta or not. Maybe he's just that kind of guy, but he doesn't scream dedication to me.
It wasn't a full training outside session, I suspect they went into the gym for the majority of it. What they did was some end-to-end drills with short (15 - 20m) kicks coming out of the back line, lots of players running past, then long kicks into the forward line to a leading player. I think the players had been told to "express themselves" because it didn't seem to serious and at times there were some very low percentage plays. Fyfe on a couple of occasions flew for the mark, but rather than taking the mar tapped it directly to a player running past at full tilt. I saw him do it perfectly with Schultz at one stage then tried with (I think) Matera and it didn't come off. All in all I think it was about having fun and bonding rather than a serious skills session.
Many thanks, I so appreciate reading the training reports. I hope Leno sorts his stuff, plenty of other kids willing and hopefully able.

Question for the watchers: has there been any visible sign of LeCras working on the goalkicking of forwards like Tabs?

Thanks a lot Cesoir! The effort especially on a low-key day is super.

Bit of a creative guess on Young's "longing gaze" though I guess although I appreciate the insight.

That was 7 years ago champ. Games changed
Thanks chief but while the games changed, the measure of success hasn't and he's the only bloke that's got us the McClelland and to a GF and the 22 blokes he did that with were certainly no team of the century. I know JLo's all shiny and new and we love that here because we don't have anything shiny and old in the clubhouse, but until that changes, Ross has been the best we've had and I for one will give him the respect he deserves.

Sorry, I didn't notice him Wednesday and don't generally come down for the Wednesday sessions as they can be a bit tedious. Maybe one of the other watchers can advise?
I read somewhere that Wednesday had become the main training session so i guess the skills session is another day now?

Thanks chief but while the games changed, the measure of success hasn't and he's the only bloke that's got us the McClelland and to a GF and the 22 blokes he did that with were certainly no team of the century. I know JLo's all shiny and new and we love that here because we don't have anything shiny and old in the clubhouse, but until that changes, Ross has been the best we've had and I for one will give him the respect he deserves.

Always enjoy a “champ” v “chief” stand off.

A McClelland? :sweatsmile:

Yes he was good for us for 3.5 years but the 4.5 years after that we went no-where.

It wore me down after a while, seeing the same old thing. Now I can finally be excited again

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think LeCras is part time only - one session a week which I assume would be the skills session. But yeah haven't heard/seen from him recently.

A full time role would be nice.

Anyone who has been to training got anything to say about Jason Carter?

Don't see his name in the rehab group from the last actual training report.

I can understand he may have a lot of things to work on to get himself in contention for the seniors. Did he play for Peel on weekend.

Just thinking about players on our list with a bit of speed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice 2020 Pre-Season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Back