List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Current no. of players on the list
Senior list - 34 (2-4 free*)
Rookie (Cat A) - 4 (0-2 free*)
Rookie (Cat B) - 2 (0 free)
Maximum list size of 44. Up to 36-38 senior list, 4-6 category A rookie list and 2 category B rookie list.
* Total of four list spots available, with a minimum of 2 senior list spots needing to be utilised.

List changes
IN: Daniher, Cockatoo, Uosis (R)
OUT: Christensen, Wooller, Allison (R), Skinner (R), Eagles (R), C. Lyons (R), Martin, Witherden, Cox, Hinge.
PROMOTED: Fullarton.
ROOKIED: Birchall, Mathieson, Ballendan.

Current picks
25, 53, 58, 69, 70
(2021 - 1st (MEL), 1st, 3rd (WCE), 3rd, 4th (MEL), 4th (COLL), 5th)

Useful links
2020 trade news compendium
List changes, contract status and key dates
2020 draft discussion thread

Last edited:
But the choice is between 2 rucks and 2 key forwards or 1 ruck, 2 key forwards and 1 ruck/forward.

They don’t plan on playing an extra mid

I agree that some posters have overstated the 'extra mid' angle but it's not as clear-cut as that

here's a good explanation from JazRules63:

think of it this way, if we have pinch-hittter forwards filling in for a 2nd ruckman, then Big O won't spend any time resting in the forward line as he would in a 2-ruck setup; he'll be either rucking or resting on the bench

this means that a smaller, faster player will take those minutes and we'll play a 2-tall forward line for as long as Oscar is off the field

so in one sense, it is perhaps like we will have an 'extra midfielder' for some periods of the game...

I wonder why West Coasts Ah Chee hasn't signed a new contract? Wonder if he'd improve us at all.
Much the same situation as Hinge and Martin. West Coast is waiting for list size confirmation and how the trade period plays out to see how many vacancies they will have. According to news reports in WA.

A HS article online highlighting clubs needs and delisting mentions we have delisted Smith wit a view of selecting him in the rookie draft if he is not picked up by another club, is this correct?

Can't read the link, so no idea. It might be from 2019 and talking about Archie?

Other than that, the club hasn't announced anything about Ely at all. Seems like a weird choice pre-trade period.

BRISBANE

DRAFT PICKS

18, 19, 42, 69, 85, 93

DELISTINGS/RETIREMENTS

Allen Christensen, Toby Wooller, Jacob Allison, Sam Skinner, Corey Lyons, Matt Eagles.

WHAT THEY NEED

A key forward to play alongside Eric Hipwood has already been secured, with Joe Daniher joining the club from Essendon as a free agent. Hipwood kicked 24 goals and Dan McStay 11, so providing Daniher can stay fit he could be the key target they need inside 50m.

WHO THEY’RE CHASING

Having landed Daniher on a three-year deal as soon as free agency opened, the Lions are also believed to be keen on adding some spice to their midfield mix and have been linked to Nakia Cockatoo from Geelong, who would bring pace and flair to the engine room.

WHO THEY’LL LOSE

Cedric Cox is seeking a move home to WA after playing 13 games in three seasons with the Lions. The No. 24 draft pick from 2016 has not indicated whether his preference is to join West Coast or Fremantle if a deal can be done, but he is out of contract. The Lions have also delisted Archie Smith, who is exploring his options but will be re-rookied if he doesn’t find a new home.

Camporeale also took aim at clubs taking financial risks on injury-prone players such as Brisbane’s recruitment of Joe Daniher on a reported deal worth $800,000 a year.

“If Daniher is getting three years at $800,000 guaranteed, having run a business I think that’s risky business in my eyes.

“He’s 28 and has played 15 games in the last three seasons, I don’t think that’s great business.”

As someone who has a ‘run a business’, perhaps we should run all our potential player additions past Scott?

🙄

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Camporeale also took aim at clubs taking financial risks on injury-prone players such as Brisbane’s recruitment of Joe Daniher on a reported deal worth $800,000 a year.

“If Daniher is getting three years at $800,000 guaranteed, having run a business I think that’s risky business in my eyes.

“He’s 28 and has played 15 games in the last three seasons, I don’t think that’s great business.”

As someone who has a ‘run a business’, perhaps we should run all our potential player additions past Scott?

🙄
Paying a 28 year old $800k on a multi year deal would be pretty risky.

Good thing Joe is 26. ;)

Camporeales coaching career ended so he has to try and make it as an outspoken media pundit. Kind of shows why he had such a bad reputation as a coach

Wasn't he an assistant coach during the infamous Adelaide camp (that I wonder if it inspired the SAS show that keeps being advertised)?

Ironically I think I read he now works for a leadership consulting company that aims to improve company culture.

Maybe Archie has been delisted from the rookie list this year as well on the promise he'll be redrafted as a rookie if he does not find a new home. It may not have been formally announced by the club.

🙄

Not good with numbers aye, Scott?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back